Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

How long without a trickle charger?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 04:06 PM
TaylorMcStrat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*sheepish look* Where do I go to locate the battery terminals to attach my trickle charger? *shame face*

Old 11-01-2011, 05:29 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by TaylorMcStrat
*sheepish look* Where do I go to locate the battery terminals to attach my trickle charger? *shame face*
Some dealers are nice and install a pigtail for hooking a battery tender up, normally they are located on the right side close to the starter. If not your going to have to pull the seat and lift the tray the ECM sits on to access the battery.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:43 PM
blade76
Cruiser

Thanks everyone! Sounds like maybe we don't have any unusual drain or problem, just a "usual" one! I can go with a tender, no problem. We've got the pigtail. Sure beats digging in to get to the battery for a jump.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:17 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
Some dealers are nice and install a pigtail for hooking a battery tender up, normally they are located on the right side close to the starter. If not your going to have to pull the seat and lift the tray the ECM sits on to access the battery.
My pigtail for battery tender is on the left side (sitting on trike) right under the seat. It came with the TG and if sitting for 2-3 days, battery tender is plugged in.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:36 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BinIdaho
My pigtail for battery tender is on the left side (sitting on trike) right under the seat. It came with the TG and if sitting for 2-3 days, battery tender is plugged in.
Barbara: They always do things backwards in Idaho.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:41 AM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has never gone dead on me, even in the dead of the winter sitting for months.

But I am not taking chances this winter and will put the tender on.

Do you have to get under the seat every time you plug it in, Barbara?

Old 11-02-2011, 05:44 AM
Bubba49
Road Master
Received 438 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhorsepilot
Mine has never gone dead on me, even in the dead of the winter sitting for months.

You don't have to remove anything if you install or have the dealer install the pigtail. Mine is zip tied to cables right in front of the right passenger floorboard. All I do is pull the cap loose and plug it into the tender.

Bubba

Old 11-02-2011, 05:48 AM
Bubba49
Road Master
Received 438 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Boom
I have a LoJack on my TG and I've been told that if the trike's battery goes dead, the LoJack has a backup battery that won't last long without the trike's battery. Then, of course, the Lojack is useless.
That sounds strange. I had Lojack on my 09 TG and I was told they hide it in the frame somewhere, so I think/thought it wasn't hard wired to the battery. Maybe wrong, but that's what Patriot HD in Fairfax VA told me.

Bubba

P.S. Don't have Lojack on my 11 SG because I got wiser and realized I pay insurance for a reason, besides I'm not too sure I'd want it back after it had been stolen (they could strip it or wreck, and such).

Old 11-02-2011, 06:53 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhorsepilot

Both mine and my dads are located on the right side by the starter, you can see the plug on the left in this picture.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:19 AM
Rox
Advanced

I've found every other weekend is good to trickle charge the Trike. I did my Ultra once a month. It seems using the reverse pulls from the battery harder, so I figured a top off more often was needed.

I installed a pigtail on both, a bit of a pain to get to the battery, but just have to remember where everything goes back.

I have mine on the left side since my power source is on that side in the garage. And the air shock connector is on the right, with reverse reset. So I like having it separate. I used a quick tie to hole it to a cable. So very easy to get to.

Quick Reply: How long without a trickle charger?