Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Rear Brake Failure It Happend To Me

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 02:27 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,199 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
The dealer kept the switch.
That's interesting. Brakes fail suddenly. It is blamed on the parking brake needing adjustment. They still don't work after adjusted. They do work after new switch is installed AND brakes are bled.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-29-2011, 07:56 AM
Randy Brian
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My brake switch failed

I only lost the light when mine went out, got a new one from Harley prior to the recall. Do they just replace the switch or do the have some kind of a shroud kit now?

Old 10-29-2011, 10:16 AM
paw paw willie
Banned
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Same here, just lost my rear brake light. They only replaced switch. The 2 wires on switch are discolored from the heat.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:28 AM
hotshoe
Cruiser

Picked my 2010 up right at the dealers closing time yesterday after the 20K service and brake switch recall was done. It will have to go back because my rear brake pedal travels all the way to the bottom of it's stroke now. Still have minimal rear brakes but not anywhere near what I had before. I'm getting tired of all of the H-D inadequacies. Might have to begin considering a Goldwing trike conversion.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:20 PM
BigBill1
Cruiser
Question Converter?

I'll know possibly tomorrow what happened because I'm taking it to the dealer. You correct my dads doesn't have a converter, mine doesn't either. If you look you'll see the switch is pretty close to the exhaust, in this picture you can see the plug connected to the switch which is on the left. When you look at all the heat the bottom exhaust mount took I'd bet the switch is getting hammered pretty good also.

How do you know if your Triglide has a cat converter? Mines an 09. Someone told me once that they did'nt put them on till 10.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:08 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by hotshoe
Picked my 2010 up right at the dealers closing time yesterday after the 20K service and brake switch recall was done. It will have to go back because my rear brake pedal travels all the way to the bottom of it's stroke now. Still have minimal rear brakes but not anywhere near what I had before. I'm getting tired of all of the H-D inadequacies. Might have to begin considering a Goldwing trike conversion.
Sounds like the tech didn't bleed them, HD isn't doing us any favor when they only want to pay .2 hour labor to change the switch and bleed the brakes. All their doing is making the techs work fast and cut corners any way they can to keep the job within the .2.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:10 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by BigBill1
How do you know if your Triglide has a cat converter? Mines an 09. Someone told me once that they did'nt put them on till 10.
Only California,over seas and emission compliant along with CVO has the cat for 2009, all have the cat 2010 to present.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:34 AM
hotshoe
Cruiser

Sounds like the tech didn't bleed them, HD isn't doing us any favor when they only want to pay .2 hour labor to change the switch and bleed the brakes. All their doing is making the techs work fast and cut corners any way they can to keep the job within the .2.
I called the dealership on Saturday to let them know about the rear brake being almost useless and was told " Oh yeah, we've had that happen a couple other times and it was with trikes in every case".

Do you think maybe that would be a clue?

Old 10-31-2011, 10:30 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by hotshoe
I called the dealership on Saturday to let them know about the rear brake being almost useless and was told " Oh yeah, we've had that happen a couple other times and it was with trikes in every case".

Do you think maybe that would be a clue?
You know how it is, you can lead a horse to water but it doesn't mean you can make it drink. Some dealers are naturally dumb, others have to work at it.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:01 AM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 65 Posts

WOW, obviously the dealers aren't taking the trikes for a test ride after changing the switch. Wonder if they plan on waiting for someone to get killed before they start.

Quick Reply: Rear Brake Failure It Happend To Me