Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Question on driving a Trike

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 09:12 PM
ultra10
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on driving a Trike

I am considering buying a Trike in the near future. I have always had two wheel bikes and concerned about driving tight twisties and not being able to lean throught the turn at different speeds. I live and drive in an area where this is going to be an concern for me and my ability to handle the bike.

Any suggestions or tips will greatly be appreciated.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:28 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 413 Likes on 220 Posts

My wife rides an '09 and pretty much keeps up with me on my ultra. I am no slouch rider or poser, so she is working it. Only advise is learn how to drift (it's a kick in the *** when done properly), shift weight to the inside of the corner and get small to lower your center of gravity. The machines are surprisingly stable.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:39 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

I think everyone that converts to a trike has the same questions that you do. Will it turn over, will it slide, will the front tire push through the turn and not allow me to stay on the road.

The answer to all that is YES. It will if you ride outside the limits of the trike for the road conditions... just like every other vehicle on the road today.

You will find that a trike will surprise you just how well it will handle and zip around and through a curve in rough conditions. Before long you will loose the "Pucker" factor and it will free up your ride. There are not too many baggers that can out run a good trike in the twisties and there are several threads about this. (mostly heated discussions) I ride both.

I love telling this story... Two metrics heading south on the Dragon and a Trike just behind them. The metrics zip though the twisties but have a hard time pulling away from the trike. The metrics can pull the trike on the short straights but when they look again, there the trike is, it's right on their tails. They pull into the lodge and see who is driving the trike.

It's a man and his wife in their late 60's on a GWing Trike pulling a trailer.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:52 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I love Mountains

Been there, done that! Have had a few group rides ruined buy guys trying to lose Tubby the Trike. A couple of guys were single up on their bikes and me and the ol lady were on the Tri Glide. They could never shake me on Black Mountain and that was before I got the new gear!

I was not really working very hard either! These things fooled the heck out of me, I had heard all the same stuff about how a trike handles in the twisties...none of it good! It was all false, the Tri Glide is a well balanced ride with good handling capabilities!

Old 08-15-2011, 04:11 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by coupe55
Been there, done that! Have had a few group rides ruined buy guys trying to lose Tubby the Trike. A couple of guys were single up on their bikes and me and the ol lady were on the Tri Glide. They could never shake me on Black Mountain and that was before I got the new gear!

I was not really working very hard either! These things fooled the heck out of me, I had heard all the same stuff about how a trike handles in the twisties...none of it good! It was all false, the Tri Glide is a well balanced ride with good handling capabilities!
+1 on the above. The TG is a fine handling trike.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:17 PM
scooty
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up Tri Glide

These things stick to the road like glue, It doesn't take long to get used to them either I have absolutely no regrets love it ! ! !

Old 08-17-2011, 09:55 PM
dw2169
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Trikes are great in the twisties and you will have no problems. I have Muscular Dystrophy and love riding my trike. The TriGlide is my second trike and they have both been great. Enjoy yourself.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:12 AM
Rox
Advanced

I just got my Triglide, 2012, and had the same concerns. I know when I test rode the trike I couldn't control it. But with practice in a parking lot, do use a vacant parking lot when you first get on a trike, I took off on the roads. The more you ride it, the more you can test the limits. As was mentioned, all bikes and riders have limits, know them. But I rode with other HOG members with touring bikes in twisties, and I was in the middle. No problem and that was after two weeks of practice. I'm still learning how to ride the trike and like a two wheeler, the more you ride the better you get. I did get caught in the rain, and it stuck to the highway like glue, no concerns at all.
I do love how passing trucks don't bounce me around now and side winds are no concern, which on my Ultra were. Give it a try.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:59 AM
morrishuckeba
Tourer

Take your time and learn your limits and don't rush it. It is a learning curve.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:10 AM
Dragon Rider
Cruiser

Got my 2012 on Aug 2nd. It's different from 2 wheels, but mostly a good different. I'm taking the corners faster every day, but still hard not to lean. As a rifle coach once said "Practice, practice and practice some more."

Quick Reply: Question on driving a Trike