Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Cat removal -- phooey

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 01:58 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by pettifogger1
Mr. Wizard's post showing before and after engine temps was really good. I don't like and don't want anything that requires a Windows based laptop to install or tune a device or that requires a dyno to get the thing to work. All I read about and hear from friends with these devices (and from my limited experience) is constant complaints about needing a new map, needs adjustments for running above sea level, etc., etc., and constant problems with the PCV and even the Thundermax, which is advertised as plug and play but apparently still needs map downloads and tweaking. Is there a device/tuner that is truly plug and play? I don't want to buy and become proficient with a Windows based laptop to get a tuner to work and don't want to try and find a local dealer with a dyno.
Sounds like your friends are running canned maps and throwing darts. Last year my setup was SE255 cams, SE Ventilator air cleaner, Fulemoto Jackpot head pipe and SE mufflers. I tuned mine with the SEPST and once I got it tuned I didn't hook the lap top up to it all summer and I road from sea level to around 5,000' above sea level and it ran great. I decided to try a different cams along with the 30 tooth transmission sprocket and tune it with the TTS so I could get my speedometer calibrated properly. I initially tuned it myself with the TTS and it ran pretty darn good, I then placed it on a dyno for some more tweaks and it has performed exactly as I wanted. I have run different elevations, I've run everything from 93 octane gas to 89 octane with 10% ethanol and it has performed flawless, no pinging and it runs cool. I have had no need to hook a laptop back up to it since it has come off the dyno.

I haven't expended any energy on it but I think I might even be able to get the TTS software to run under Ubuntu which is a Linux based operating system by using WINE.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:27 AM
jim gallo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think alot has to do with were you live and what you expect. i live in kittery,me. on the coast and drive to western me, the mountains and have plenty of power. the trike does get hot on the right side but not anyhotter than my 2004 soaftail did. i'll leave mine stock for the first year and maybe next year get a rear bumper. my 2011 has no problem running 2 up in 6th over 55 mph. and has plenty of power for me.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:45 AM
pettifogger1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I haven't expended any energy on it but I think I might even be able to get the TTS software to run under Ubuntu which is a Linux based operating system by using WINE."

This would be part of the problem. I don't have a Windows based laptop and I have no idea what you said. Isn't Ubuntu what Obama speaks?

Old 08-16-2011, 11:32 AM
iaff84
Tourer
Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

"I haven't expended any energy on it but I think I might even be able to get the TTS software to run under Ubuntu which is a Linux based operating system by using WINE."

This would be part of the problem. I don't have a Windows based laptop and I have no idea what you said. Isn't Ubuntu what Obama speaks?
I know zip about tuning these things also. I bought a gutted pipe, wrapped it with header pipe stuff, stock mufflers, put an air cleaner on and bought a vision tuner from fuel motto. They sent it with a program for my stock pipes without a CAT and a stage one air cleaner. I plugged it into the bike plug, followed the screen prompts, done in a few minutes.
Bike runs fine. Just went to beach on east coast from Indiana, road thru mountains on way back. No laptop needed. I know I could use the furnished stuff and a laptop to put a fine tune on it but I bought it to ride and that is what I do.
Plugs read fine, riding two up get 35 MPG. This trip, yea we were hot, not because of bike, it was just very hot unless you were in your AC at motel.
I ride in what I call a flower sniffing mode. Just run the posted speed limit, run two lane and interstate. It is all good and that is why I have the TG, to tour on it, does what it was built for IMHO.
Dennis

Old 08-16-2011, 11:47 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
Sounds like your friends are running canned maps and throwing darts.
What M3 is talking about is simply the fudge factor between bikes. Not all bikes, even with the same equipment, will breath the same. Thus, a canned calibration from a vendor will not be as close as you could get by doing the tune yourself or by a diagnostician. You are leaving a lot of tuning possibles on the floor. Even the Vision Pro can be incorporated via an auto tune function to calibrate your motor VE tables but that is even more money that is added to the product cost.

The VE Tables (Volumetric Efficiencies) are what tells the ECM how your motor breaths so the proper amount of fuel can be added. No two motors breath alike. Canned maps (calibrations) are like throwing darts, sometimes you hit the bulls eye and other times you can't even hit the wall.

What ever tuning aid you use... if it makes you happy then that's the bottom line.

Cheers... wiz out

Old 08-16-2011, 06:15 PM
pettifogger1
Tourer

I have a question for Mr. Wizard, especially after your insights on motor breathing. I sent an email to Jaime at Fuel Moto and he said they could program a PC-V for my setup. (I.e., cat begone, Fatshotzs and AC. That is all I ever intend to put on as far as engine mods are concerned so this will be a one time affair.) Or I could get the Power Vision and that rather than being an add-on like the PC-V it "flashes the ECM directly and uses the factory O2 sensors." Since all of the experts have said the stock 02 sensors are narrow band and, therefore, junk, would spending the fairly significant amount of extra cash on the Power Vision do any good? If the stock 02 sensors are so bad, how does the Power Vision use them? Sounds like the only practical difference between the PC-V and the Power Vision is that the Power Vision comes with a device to download a map, but once downloaded it really doesn't perform any function. For my setup, what would be a good solid, easy to use, device? Or is there a better choice? My big fear is getting stuck on the side of the road 50 miles outside of East Jesus, Nevada, and having no one with a computer that speaks Ubuntu so I'm stuck. At least with the PC-V and similar devices I can unplug it and throw it in a ditch like I did with the last one.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:00 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

I have a question for Mr. Wizard, especially after your insights on motor breathing. I sent an email to Jaime at Fuel Moto and he said they could program a PC-V for my setup. (I.e., cat begone, Fatshotzs and AC. That is all I ever intend to put on as far as engine mods are concerned so this will be a one time affair.) Or I could get the Power Vision and that rather than being an add-on like the PC-V it "flashes the ECM directly and uses the factory O2 sensors." Since all of the experts have said the stock 02 sensors are narrow band and, therefore, junk, would spending the fairly significant amount of extra cash on the Power Vision do any good? If the stock 02 sensors are so bad, how does the Power Vision use them? Sounds like the only practical difference between the PC-V and the Power Vision is that the Power Vision comes with a device to download a map, but once downloaded it really doesn't perform any function. For my setup, what would be a good solid, easy to use, device? Or is there a better choice? My big fear is getting stuck on the side of the road 50 miles outside of East Jesus, Nevada, and having no one with a computer that speaks Ubuntu so I'm stuck. At least with the PC-V and similar devices I can unplug it and throw it in a ditch like I did with the last one.
My friend.... From what I can read and see here you have been tumbling in some aloof threads where misinformation abounds.

I'll send you some information via PM.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:17 PM
pettifogger1
Tourer

Thanks. I'll be looking forward to seeing your suggestions.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:45 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread is very interesting.

Last edited by oldmsocko; 08-16-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:52 PM
grandpawmoses
Road Master

I bet my wife can help. She speaks whine alot.

Quick Reply: Cat removal -- phooey