Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Front tire suggestions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011 | 10:07 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is the website I got my information from as to motorcycle tires >>> http://www.cyrilhuzeblog.com/2009/08...by-avon-tyres/

Originally Posted by Moonrunner
Rubber is not layered. The belts are layered and the rubber is injection molded. As far as reverse rotation is concerned. Some dealers WILL NOT mount a tire against the directional marking but I did see where one manufacturer actually recommmended the reverse mounting due to the directional cut of the tread for rain traction control, not because of direction of the belt layers. I guess very hard braking on the front tire might similate the torque action applied at the rear wheel. But the rear tire gets the HP and TQ action every time we accelerate where the front tire would only get a tiny amount of that under braking. Certainly not enough to shift the belting. Does the rear tire not get that same against the belt directional force action very time we brake? And if you compare that faltter profile then you need to compare both tires when mounted on the same exact rim size because how they compare unmounted or mounted on different size rims is not even close to how they actually shape up when mounted. The difference in contact patch is very slight but you are right in that front tires normally have a 5/32 tread depth where rear tires normally have 8/32. But contact patch for the same size tire on the same rim is very similar, front or rear designated.

Old 08-08-2011 | 02:34 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE
This is the website I got my information from as to motorcycle tires >>> http://www.cyrilhuzeblog.com/2009/08...by-avon-tyres/
I would certainly think Avon knows what their talking about since they manufacture tires.

Old 08-08-2011 | 03:07 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
I got 20,000 miles out of my front tire. Was very happy with the way it handled so I replaced it in like kind. I probably could have got another 2,000 out of it but changed it because of heading out West. I won't ride on suspect tires.
Stock Tire good by me +1 on that

Old 08-08-2011 | 06:51 PM
Moonrunner
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I be the first to admit when I'm wrong. I AM WRONG. However, I did say that I saw where one manufacturer recommended the reverse mounting for rear tires on the front and it was Avon. I do not see where they state that rubber is laid in LAYERS. From the article it would appear to be ONE layer of pre molded rubber. I did say "hard braking on the front tire might similate the torque action". I guess I wasn't that far off their reasoning and I'd like to know if you've seen any other manufacturer say it's OK the mount a tire against the directional design.
My comments about water dispersion was pretty darned close Quoting their article, "There are many different tread patterns but there is one main reason to have any tread and that is to disperse water. (dust, dirt)
A tread pattern can be designed to disperse more water by making it rotate in only one direction. Thus, the need for directional arrows. The arrow tells you which way to mount a tire for maximum water dispersal. Another, less apparent reason for directional arrows is the tread splice."

But I truly did not know that the tread was laid on as a strip and I guess that led to their less apparent reason mentioned at the end of the quote above. I have heard from more than one trike rider that the dealers will not mount a rear tire on the front reversed. including two dealers here where I live.

So MSocko, shove the wise-aker comment.

Old 08-08-2011 | 07:48 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I be the first to admit when I'm wrong. I AM WRONG. However, I did say that I saw where one manufacturer recommended the reverse mounting for rear tires on the front and it was Avon. I do not see where they state that rubber is laid in LAYERS. From the article it would appear to be ONE layer of pre molded rubber. I did say "hard braking on the front tire might similate the torque action". I guess I wasn't that far off their reasoning and I'd like to know if you've seen any other manufacturer say it's OK the mount a tire against the directional design.
My comments about water dispersion was pretty darned close Quoting their article, "There are many different tread patterns but there is one main reason to have any tread and that is to disperse water. (dust, dirt)
A tread pattern can be designed to disperse more water by making it rotate in only one direction. Thus, the need for directional arrows. The arrow tells you which way to mount a tire for maximum water dispersal. Another, less apparent reason for directional arrows is the tread splice."

But I truly did not know that the tread was laid on as a strip and I guess that led to their less apparent reason mentioned at the end of the quote above. I have heard from more than one trike rider that the dealers will not mount a rear tire on the front reversed. including two dealers here where I live.

What wise-aker comment, I didn't see any addressed to you and where would you like him to shove it???

Old 08-08-2011 | 08:02 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior

I miss quoted about layer(s) and admit to my mistake.

I do know that alot of Goldwing trike riders for a number of years now use the Michelin Pilot Active rear tire mounted in reverse and they post getting 25k + miles out of that tire. Unfortunately that tire isnt in a 16" size. On a Goldwing forum there was a post from one member who contacted Michelin and the response was there would be no issue running the tire in reverse. Also, I did see a post on another forum of a picture of what I think was Continental that was of the sidewall and it showed a dual arrow for either direction

The rear Dunlop Im running in reverse has handled both light rain and heavy rain with puddling in the road just as good as the stock front Dunlop tire. I took my front wheel off myself and had a independent shop mount my tire to the front rim for me. If I get 20k out of the tire and I think that should be no problem I will be happy. I ride agressively in curves often and wore out a Dunlop 402 front and Dunlop D3 ( had one D3 with issues after 5k miles and removed it ) each front tire only getting about 13-14k miles out of them.

Old 08-08-2011 | 09:00 PM
Moonrunner
Tourer

Well I wrote a whole big pile of stuff of why I felt the comment use a useless "So there" kind of statement but it isn't worth the time or effort to argue. To me that was kind of like saying Hendrick Motorsports knows how to win races. Wouldn't argue with his company over that either. Sorry I ever said anything in this thread. I personally won't run a rear tire in front (reversed) because the one guy I know who does did nothing but complain about the front wheel hydroplaning on our last 6000 mile trip that was in rain 14 of 16 days. That and the complaints of more vibration through the handlebars from road irregularities. The wifes trike with the Avon Venom got a little hydroplane action from the rear but the front was solid. I really didn't see Avon recommending use of a reversed rear tire on the front either. They just said if for some reason you did run one it should be reversed. Don't intend to insult anyone. But, I did, and for that I apologize. I'll try and stay thick skinned and non-personal.

Old 08-09-2011 | 07:40 AM
Moonrunner
Tourer

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE
Also, I did see a post on another forum of a picture of what I think was Continental that was of the sidewall and it showed a dual arrow for either direction .
That would seem to contradict the Cyril Huze article concerning the tread splice. I wonder if continental tires are made differently or if it has more to do with the tread water dispersion pattern of some continental tires being much less directional in design.

Old 08-09-2011 | 12:34 PM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Apologize if someone already said this, but if the rotation was based on tread and/or belt stresses, wouldn't a rear tire have been designed to handle braking and accelerating stresses? If that were the case, then rotation would apply more to water channeling than belt stress. Just wondering out loud. I'll go back to my corner and color now...

Old 08-09-2011 | 04:29 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TheBobs
Apologize if someone already said this, but if the rotation was based on tread and/or belt stresses, wouldn't a rear tire have been designed to handle braking and accelerating stresses? If that were the case, then rotation would apply more to water channeling than belt stress. Just wondering out loud. I'll go back to my corner and color now...
I think the acceleration stress is much higher then the braking stress. If your using the front brake on a 2 wheel bike, the bike will nose dive and lift the rear taking weight and force off the back tire

Quick Reply: Front tire suggestions wanted