Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

At Last An Oil Cooler That Actually Lowers The Temp of The Oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 10:13 AM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

HD #6270005 specifically states NOT for trikes! Bought one awhile back and had to "give it away".

Last edited by BinIdaho; 08-01-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:51 AM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BinIdaho.....Yes, it WILL work on the TriGlide!

Old 08-01-2011, 10:55 AM
pettifogger1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BinIdaho
HD #6270005 specifically states NOT for trikes! Bought one awhile back and had to "give it away".
It's on page 537 and 642 of the 2011 Parts and Accessories book. You are missing one zero. It's 62700005. Should be the first one on this list. http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Last edited by pettifogger1; 08-01-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:10 PM
pettifogger1
Tourer

Does anyone make a GOOD fan kit for the stock oil cooler? I have seen a kit that attaches with plastic ties. I am not a fan of any device that attaches to a radiator or cooler with plastic ties. Does anyone make one with a small shroud and bolts on?

Old 08-01-2011, 11:15 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by pettifogger1
It's on page 537 and 642 of the 2011 Parts and Accessories book. You are missing one zero. It's 62700005. Should be the first one on this list. http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US
Found it....thanks everyone. What's your thoughts...good idea or should I wait and go for the oil temp gauge on dash?

Old 08-01-2011, 11:48 PM
dfndr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a great thread. Thanks to all you knowledgable members who contribute so much to us Harley neophytes. That's what makes this such a great forum. Thanks again.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:22 AM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 65 Posts

Here are some thoughts from an old biker. I bought my first motorcycle when I was 16, a Triumph Thunderbird. I've been on 2 wheels until I bought the 09 trike. All bikes were air cooled. Until my 08 E-Glide, I had no idea how hot or cold the bike was. My 96cid E-Glide ran around 230* to 260* depending on air temp, traffic, and how fast I was riding. My nearly stock '09 Tri-Glide runs between 230* and 260*, depending on air temp, traffic, and how fast I ride. I haven't added a thing, no additional oil cooler, didn't change the head pipe, no fuel tuner, nada. Rush slip-ons, stage 1 air cleaner. Thats it. I live in Southern California. It was 104* today. I rode to breakfast, got into traffic, tooted around just for fun. The trike has run in the desert with temps to 118*. It has made two trips around the Grand Canyon. From Death Valley to 7000+ feet.

I seriously think the engineers at Harley Davidson really know what they are doing. They have to design within Federal clean air guidelines, and Air Resources Board Emission standards.

If I get stuck at a light on a hot day I turn off the motor. The couple of times the temp approached 300* because of traffic, as soon as I got air flowing again, it cooled down.

Ever wonder why they don't put degrees on your car temp gage??? Because your cars coolant runs at 230-260*. You just can't feel it because you have the air conditioner on. Your right foot is right next to the exhaust pipe on your Harley. Ever melted the soul of your boot on the pipe?? It is hot! My '92 Springer was hot, my '95 Softail was hot, my '03 Dyna was hot, my '08 E-Glide was hot, and the '09 and '11 Tri-Glides are HOT.

I'm almost at the point of taking the oil temp gage out, tired of looking at it. Nothing I can do. With a modified head pipe, zillion row oil cooler, fuel pack super tune and whatever else, get stuck in traffic with your engine idling, you are going to get hot.

Off my soap box. It is YOUR trike, spend what ever you want, but at least ride it sometimes!

Old 08-02-2011, 04:34 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BinIdaho
Found it....thanks everyone. What's your thoughts...good idea or should I wait and go for the oil temp gauge on dash?
Barbara: I personally would wait and go for the temp gauge in the fairing.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:06 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
Barbara: I personally would wait and go for the temp gauge in the fairing.
+1, I like to know what's going on.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:07 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I agree

Originally Posted by screwball
Here are some thoughts from an old biker. I bought my first motorcycle when I was 16, a Triumph Thunderbird. I've been on 2 wheels until I bought the 09 trike. All bikes were air cooled. Until my 08 E-Glide, I had no idea how hot or cold the bike was. My 96cid E-Glide ran around 230* to 260* depending on air temp, traffic, and how fast I was riding. My nearly stock '09 Tri-Glide runs between 230* and 260*, depending on air temp, traffic, and how fast I ride. I haven't added a thing, no additional oil cooler, didn't change the head pipe, no fuel tuner, nada. Rush slip-ons, stage 1 air cleaner. Thats it. I live in Southern California. It was 104* today. I rode to breakfast, got into traffic, tooted around just for fun. The trike has run in the desert with temps to 118*. It has made two trips around the Grand Canyon. From Death Valley to 7000+ feet.

I seriously think the engineers at Harley Davidson really know what they are doing. They have to design within Federal clean air guidelines, and Air Resources Board Emission standards.

If I get stuck at a light on a hot day I turn off the motor. The couple of times the temp approached 300* because of traffic, as soon as I got air flowing again, it cooled down.

Ever wonder why they don't put degrees on your car temp gage??? Because your cars coolant runs at 230-260*. You just can't feel it because you have the air conditioner on. Your right foot is right next to the exhaust pipe on your Harley. Ever melted the soul of your boot on the pipe?? It is hot! My '92 Springer was hot, my '95 Softail was hot, my '03 Dyna was hot, my '08 E-Glide was hot, and the '09 and '11 Tri-Glides are HOT.

I'm almost at the point of taking the oil temp gage out, tired of looking at it. Nothing I can do. With a modified head pipe, zillion row oil cooler, fuel pack super tune and whatever else, get stuck in traffic with your engine idling, you are going to get hot.

Off my soap box. It is YOUR trike, spend what ever you want, but at least ride it sometimes!
I have been around them since 66 and everything you say is right on! However when you stick a cat in the exhaust on a full fairing bike/trike you have a whole nuther ball game! The EPA lean AFR is as bad as the cat for causing the heat problem. Several things need to be done to take it back to the hot we knew and understood..There is hot and there is hotter..The cat bikes took it to a whole new level. Early CVO "cat" bikes were prone to several types of head failure, that rear cylinder is taking a beating from the heat..As you say if you can keep em out of traffic in the heat or shut em down I believe you can nurse a stock tri and work around some of the worst heat "idling in traffic". I have seen Harley's pulled over and cooling down all the time down in that parking lot they call Sieverville, the metric water cooled guys sitting at the lights grinning from ear to ear.

You can with a little effort get the tri to where it will sit in the heat and idle all day and not have to worry about it! I got one that will, the EITMS will never kick on, but it never come out of the box that way!

Quick Reply: At Last An Oil Cooler That Actually Lowers The Temp of The Oil