Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

At Last An Oil Cooler That Actually Lowers The Temp of The Oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 05:53 PM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Boom
Barbara, I think you will get a 'yes' from most of us. It's a handy gauge to have with the outrageous summer temps we are having.
Barbara, I also converted air to oil temp gauge.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:26 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. I "assumed" that the air temp gauge (useless) was changed to an oil temp gauge. I have HD do all work on my TG. Could you give me a cost estimate to change out air to oil gauge?

(Didn't we have an oil temp discussion when the TG's first came out...mine was running 280* with the non-TG led dip stick. Of course the HD service said that was "normal"...I'm beginning to hate that word!)

Old 07-31-2011, 10:27 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by pettifogger1
If you like the oil temp dipstick and don't want to install a fairing mounted gauge, Harley does make one for the trike. It's part number 62700005.
No such # in my 2011 parts/accessories book?

Old 07-31-2011, 10:32 PM
pettifogger1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BinIdaho
No such # in my 2011 parts/accessories book?
You have to go to the end of the number section where they are putting the new "non-dashed" part numbers. Its on page 527.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:55 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BinIdaho
Thanks for all the replies. I "assumed" that the air temp gauge (useless) was changed to an oil temp gauge. I have HD do all work on my TG. Could you give me a cost estimate to change out air to oil gauge?

(Didn't we have an oil temp discussion when the TG's first came out...mine was running 280* with the non-TG led dip stick. Of course the HD service said that was "normal"...I'm beginning to hate that word!)
Barbara: It all depends on your dealers labor rate. I would take a quess at $400 to $450.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:44 AM
CRBandit
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had mine installed by the dealer in Billing,s MT when I did my 1,000 service and they charged $162.50 labor to do the oil temp gauge.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:17 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Temp Gauge

Some frugal people slap a temp gauge on the crash bar, you don't have to crack the case on the fairing and leave your worthless air temp gauge in. Plumbed into the oil pan for real heat indication, hard to see but who stares at the temp gauge all the time. I can lean forward at lights and take a peek at it from time to time...

Old 08-01-2011, 08:38 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Forum Engineering

I guess it's possible that Jagg come up with the fan on the 10 row idea on their own but it does seem odd that after a couple years of the forum people posting their add on fans that Jagg jumps on the fan wagon.

I just plumbed the old Jag in straight, oil pressure is a solid 32 lbs. when warm so that tells me the oil is staying in the cooler about as long as the other plumbing route. I can see going through the filter if you had an aluminum finned filter cover or a finned filter for extra cooling. I don't think you are going to pick up a a significant amount of extra cooling by just routing through the oil filter..

Old 08-01-2011, 08:57 AM
Dogdaz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jagg Cooler

I think people would be very surprised as to what their oil temp really is. In a perfect world you would like it to be around 200 degrees, that is not going to happen in a air cooled engine. Getting it too 230 has been expensive but will add greatly to the longevity of the engine and rider comfort. A digital temp gauge is an eye opener and a great add on to your scooter. Harvey Dawson don't want you to know how hot your engine is running because they don't want to address the problem as it would cost them a bunch. They also like things wearing out to keep the revenues coming in. Use a good fully synthetic oil, I know there are the nay sayers out there claiming dino stops corrosion but if its worn out from heat and wear less corrosion want help. Heat kills oil plain and simple. Fully synthetic oil maintains its lubricating properties THREE (3) times the temperature, nuff said. Knowing what is happening in your engine is the only way to combat the problems or listening to some other fool that has already been there. I'm raising my hand here. Thanks, Jerry

Old 08-01-2011, 09:45 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Heat kills Oil

Originally Posted by Dogdaz
I think people would be very surprised as to what their oil temp really is. In a perfect world you would like it to be around 200 degrees, that is not going to happen in a air cooled engine. Getting it too 230 has been expensive but will add greatly to the longevity of the engine and rider comfort. A digital temp gauge is an eye opener and a great add on to your scooter. Harvey Dawson don't want you to know how hot your engine is running because they don't want to address the problem as it would cost them a bunch. They also like things wearing out to keep the revenues coming in. Use a good fully synthetic oil, I know there are the nay sayers out there claiming dino stops corrosion but if its worn out from heat and wear less corrosion want help. Heat kills oil plain and simple. Fully synthetic oil maintains its lubricating properties THREE (3) times the temperature, nuff said. Knowing what is happening in your engine is the only way to combat the problems or listening to some other fool that has already been there. I'm raising my hand here. Thanks, Jerry
and air cooled engines! A wise man and a sage has spoken, you want to rack up some serious miles on the old odometer without a break down, read this post twice! Plus read the sticky on cooling down the Tri..

Quick Reply: At Last An Oil Cooler That Actually Lowers The Temp of The Oil