Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

At Last An Oil Cooler That Actually Lowers The Temp of The Oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 07:57 PM
pettifogger1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Did not mean to be brash, just a tired old man whos money comes hard like most and trying to save others from wasting their money and time. Thanks, Jerry" I know exactly what you mean, I'm in the same boat. Time I have. But the past two years the money has gotten even tighter. Wasted a LOT of money on my 09. This 11 with the cat runs even hotter. Just trying to learn before spending more hard earned cash. Thanks for your report on your experiences.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:25 PM
frederick
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you research bud clarkes oil cooler for your trike. This cooler is way over built and works period. 90 plus degrees today oil ran a blistering 205. I run 2 digital oil temp gauges 1 in 1 out, 27 to 58 degree temp differences between oil pan temp and oil before it hits the motor

Old 07-30-2011, 09:14 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,803 Likes on 966 Posts

Pettifogger1, I live in Gilbert, AZ. I went to Cave Creek today riding two up. With this set-up running 75 mph I had 190 degree oil temps at the tank with the ambient temps being 106. Right now the fans don't work due to a wiring problem (hope to fix that tomorrow), but even without the fans the highest temps I saw was 240 at a long light. The heat exchanger and scoop are the unit Buel had on the Ullyses. They are made by Thermal Dynamics in California. I've run a Jagg 10 row (no fans) and an Ultra-Cool (I didn't see higher temps with it, but it didn't cool the oil), but this unit works better than either (from what I see at the temp gauge. If you buy the parts I'll fab the mounts for the fans and to the bike and install it for you. I would just like to see if it will do for a hot *** stocker what it does for my 09. The exchanger and scoop will cost you about $140 at an HD dealer that used to sell Buels (Chandler HD), the fans are about $40, miscellaneous parts probably another $50 or so. Let me know what you think.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:34 PM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior

Jerry discussed this issue over the phone with me awhile ago as I was going to test the Ultracool and do a write up on the unit. I finally did receive the Ultracool and after our conversation and looking at the product I decided to send it back to the manufacturer. The Jagg is definately a superior product.

My problem is that I did speak to Marv, was sent a dealer app that was approved and everyone who seemed to have ordered this unit both in the touring forums and here has received the new unit. The last time I called, mounting brackets were on order. We have left our callback number several times with the operator with a promise to have Marv call us back. Apparently retail $$$ mean more than dealer pricing or getting the product out, leaving me sitting. We showcase our vendors products, so it makes me wonder a bit as this is all that needs to be done to finish off the trike.

Now we have to see if Congress resolves the National Debt issue and my VA and SS disabilty checks come in this month. Otherwise, we'll be forgetting about the oil cooler and shopping for beans(lol).

Last edited by Buddy WMC; 07-31-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:28 PM
pettifogger1
Tourer

Originally Posted by frederick
Did you research bud clarkes oil cooler for your trike. This cooler is way over built and works period. 90 plus degrees today oil ran a blistering 205. I run 2 digital oil temp gauges 1 in 1 out, 27 to 58 degree temp differences between oil pan temp and oil before it hits the motor
Here's one that I would definitely need more information on. Especially before dropping $600.00 on it. That's $100.00 more than the Jagg. There is no fan, on the newer Touring bikes it looks like there are only two small cooling blocks. You have to pry the front cooling block up to remove the oil pan screw. It would be interesting to see actual tests of various coolers to see which ones really work and which ones don't. Here in Phoenix the pavement gets hot enough to fry eggs. The cooler sitting right over a source of radiated heat (the pavement) and having no fan, I would like to see some more data on how well it works.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:35 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Ok Guys, before you flame me, I have a question.....If the LED read-out oil dip stick I was using before is NOT for a TG, how are you all getting a reading of the oil temperature? Have you ALL installed an oil temp gauge in place of the air temp gauge?

Old 07-31-2011, 03:42 PM
Boom
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BinIdaho
Ok Guys, before you flame me, I have a question.....If the LED read-out oil dip stick I was using before is NOT for a TG, how are you all getting a reading of the oil temperature? Have you ALL installed an oil temp gauge in place of the air temp gauge?
Barbara, I think you will get a 'yes' from most of us. It's a handy gauge to have with the outrageous summer temps we are having.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:59 PM
pettifogger1
Tourer

Originally Posted by BinIdaho
If you like the oil temp dipstick and don't want to install a fairing mounted gauge, Harley does make one for the trike. It's part number 62700005.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:17 PM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Sooo...is this the unit you are speaking of (this one is for the Heritage though)

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/740-857

Old 07-31-2011, 05:26 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Boom
Barbara, I think you will get a 'yes' from most of us. It's a handy gauge to have with the outrageous summer temps we are having.
+1 on the gauge.

Quick Reply: At Last An Oil Cooler That Actually Lowers The Temp of The Oil