Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Another Starter Switch Failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coupe55
I just hope they put the fix on it! Nothing more aggravating than a chincy electrial problem on a trip or just worrying about one. It has to be the water they were exposed to when riding in all that rain. Did they give you any indication of what may have caused them to fail?

I once carried a product called LPS an electrical contact spray that was good for ignitions that were exposed to wet and damp conditions. I'm about out and can't find it anymore. Kind of expensive but I have started some with drowned out ignitions, "the older stuff" it may work for starter switches and related conponents.

http://www.lpslabs.com/product_pg/cl...lectro140.html
Ask and you shall receive.................http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/LPS...-Cleaner-2C642

Old 07-28-2011, 02:14 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Boom
Ask and you shall receive.................http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/LPS...-Cleaner-2C642
Thanks Boom, I have started drowned out ATV's and automobiles with this stuff...I used it in a lot of different electrical contact or relay situations, good stuff in damp or wet area's...

Old 07-28-2011, 03:00 PM
golfmajic
Road Captain
Location: Ottawa, Canada, summer, Daytona Beach Florida, winter
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Same issue with my 2005 RK after a heavy duty rain ride.
The starter would stay engaged, no amount of compressed air would dry it out, had to change the switch assembly.
To ride in the mean time I pulled the hot wire off of the starter, turned on the ignition switch, pushed the hot wire onto it post on the starter and pulled the hot wire again once the bike had started. It worked until I changed the $60 switch assembly.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:17 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

I just hope they put the fix on it! Nothing more aggravating than a chincy electrial problem on a trip or just worrying about one. It has to be the water they were exposed to when riding in all that rain. Did they give you any indication of what may have caused them to fail?

I once carried a product called LPS an electrical contact spray that was good for ignitions that were exposed to wet and damp conditions. I'm about out and can't find it anymore. Kind of expensive but I have started some with drowned out ignitions, "the older stuff" it may work for starter switches and related conponents.

http://www.lpslabs.com/product_pg/cl...lectro140.html
I know the stuff your talking about, seen it around. I'm crossing my fingers and toting a can of WD40 around for now.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:00 AM
T K Glider
Road Master

I think WD-40 will displace water in electrics as well.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:37 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Default WD

Originally Posted by T K Glider
I think WD-40 will displace water in electrics as well.
It will but I have destroyed some plastics and paint with it as well. I have split plastic electrical cases and sprayed with LPS before getting in water and sprayed on ignitions with no damage to plastic or painted parts. It would not be a fix for a starter switch that has already got wet and grounded out. May not be a good prevention either but in some wet or damp situastions I have had success with it and it tends not to melt anything important...I have messed up some paint with HD but it is still my ol fall back for a lot of jobs...

Old 07-29-2011, 05:57 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

It will but I have destroyed some plastics and paint with it as well. I have split plastic electrical cases and sprayed with LPS before getting in water and sprayed on ignitions with no damage to plastic or painted parts. It would not be a fix for a starter switch that has already got wet and grounded out. May not be a good prevention either but in some wet or damp situastions I have had success with it and it tends not to melt anything important...I have messed up some paint with HD but it is still my ol fall back for a lot of jobs...
That is the kicker of the whole deal. Once the switch gets wet and goes to ground there is more than likely a 90% change its toast.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:11 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Outsourcing

Originally Posted by msocko3
That is the kicker of the whole deal. Once the switch gets wet and goes to ground there is more than likely a 90% change its toast.
Typical made in China electrical conponent you would think for what we paid for the Tri we could count on some quality somewhere.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:47 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Typical made in China electrical conponent you would think for what we paid for the Tri we could count on some quality somewhere.
You hit the nail square on the head. My 2006 Ultra has never suffered from this issue and it has been seen more than its fair share of rain storms, not to mention sleet and a dash of snow.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:27 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

HD sure knows how to continue making money. Sell cheap parts so they fail and have to be replaced $$$$$$.

Quick Reply: Another Starter Switch Failure