Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

motor noise on start-up

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 04:49 PM
scooty
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question motor noise on start-up

My Tri Glide really thrashes when you start it even after it gets oil pressure it takes a little time for it to quiet down probably 15 seconds total the dealer says that this is normal for the 103 inch ( what a surprise ) just wondering if others have noticed this, my other bikes would thrash a little bit but nothing compared to this.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:02 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

If your getting a ticking sound for 15 seconds or so after startup you might have a lifter that is bleeding down while its not running, its not normal. The 103 isn't any more special or different than a 96, it just has a few more cubes and automatic compression releases.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:09 PM
scooty
Road Captain
Default noise

If I shut it down for 30 seconds and restart it the noise starts over, that's what it sounds like to me is the lifters are bleeding down immediately, they should stay pumped up for a long time after you shut it down I think.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:20 PM
hotshoe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2010 did that at about 10,000 miles. Lifter(s) were leaking down. Dealership replaced all lifters without any question under warranty.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:12 PM
scooty
Road Captain
Default motor noise

I took the bike in today and the tech looked at it for about for about 10 seconds and said that there is a real problem nothing should be this noisey also the oil pressure is not where it should be, SOOOOOOO WE'LL SEE They kept it so maybe something will come of it.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:46 PM
scooty
Road Captain
Thumbs down motor noise

Got the bike back they changed the cam support plate and it did no good so I took it back today, now it has lost power to where it will not gain speed in 6th gear with wide open throttle and it has lost a lot of low end power to where it is a PIG compared to what it was also motor runs extremely rough at idle as well as super noisey. Harley has no suggestions and told the dealer to do what-ever. Any guesses as to what could be wrong ? ? ? ?
At idle it shakes so bad it looks like the fenders are going to break off ! ! ! !

Old 07-25-2011, 09:52 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Doesnt sounds like they replaced the lifters. Just sounds like what an engine would do if all the lifters wouldnt hold oil.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:00 PM
scooty
Road Captain
Default noise

They did not replace the lifters I know this would cause the noise but what about the power loss and rough idle. Also it used to get pretty quiet after 15-20 seconds but now it still thrashes some all of the time.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:06 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

If they dont pump up then basically you get a cam with smaller lobes.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:15 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by scooty
Got the bike back they changed the cam support plate and it did no good so I took it back today, now it has lost power to where it will not gain speed in 6th gear with wide open throttle and it has lost a lot of low end power to where it is a PIG compared to what it was also motor runs extremely rough at idle as well as super noisey. Harley has no suggestions and told the dealer to do what-ever. Any guesses as to what could be wrong ? ? ? ?
At idle it shakes so bad it looks like the fenders are going to break off ! ! ! !
I'm wondering if the hamfist who changed out the cam support plate got the cam timing marks and the marks on the crank and cam drive gear aligned right. If they got a tooth off it will run, but run like ****.

Quick Reply: motor noise on start-up