Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Triple A BLOWS!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 08:21 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Triple A BLOWS!

On our return trip back from the Smokey Mountains in NC.
I had reduced my tool pac down to a cell phone and a Triple A card.
On our return trip. 3 ft back from the trailer's tongue. The crappy weld I did. Broke while en-route on the highway. I managed to get to the shoulder. I called Triple A and they informed me that even though the trailer is attached to the trike. I would have to pay for the trailer to be transported ( by the mile). The trike they would cover. But not the trailer. Which is 200 lbs and pulled by the trike. I have the most expensive coverage with them and to find out that the trike's trailer is not covered. I'm reducing my membership and I'm bringing the attention of this to all of you out there that pull a trailer with your scoot or trike. By the Grace of God. A pick-up truck pulled over to assist us and it turned out to be my neighbor! With ratcheting tie-downs, bungy cords, two lug wrenches (as a splint) and good old duct tape. We managed to remedy a fix that allowed us to pull our trailer home safely. Don't take for granted that Triple A covers what you pull with your trike or bike. They don't and they will be written about their crappy policy!

zoood

Old 06-27-2011, 08:58 AM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

zood,

Thanks for the info. We have the AAA RV and assumed that it would cover the trailer also. The other day my gal's triglide lost its clutch so we called AAA and after about 15 minutes they called back and said they had a truck en route and it would be about an hour. I looked up the location of the company on my smart phone and realized it would be an hour plus for them to get to us. I explained to AAA that we were on a narrow shoulder of a dangerous 2 lane and they basically said that was they way it was and they would call the police for traffic control if necessary. I told them to forget it and called a local tow service that I have dealt with for years, that was there in 30 minutes. They towed her home and we will submit the bill to AAA for reimbursement.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:18 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

I used HOG from Harley while in the Smokey's...took about an hour for them to get there, but all was good when they did....sometimes I wonder if any of them are worth the money and hassle....

Old 06-27-2011, 09:44 AM
Diesel-Dawg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Casper
I used HOG from Harley while in the Smokey's...took about an hour for them to get there, but all was good when they did....sometimes I wonder if any of them are worth the money and hassle....
I too have AAA RV for my trike coverage. Also have HOG membership. Guess I will try both if it happens, however, all experiences we have had with HOG support in the mountains for 2 flat tires (different times) was terrible and non-supportive.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:36 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, I looked it up and it says right there in the handbook that while motorcycle trailers are covered, utility trailers are not. And you have to assume that a trailer being pulled by a bike is a "utility" trailer. That's a surprise to me, too.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:36 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zoood
On our return trip back from the Smokey Mountains in NC.
I had reduced my tool pac down to a cell phone and a Triple A card.
On our return trip. 3 ft back from the trailer's tongue. The crappy weld I did. Broke while en-route on the highway. I managed to get to the shoulder. I called Triple A and they informed me that even though the trailer is attached to the trike. I would have to pay for the trailer to be transported ( by the mile). The trike they would cover. But not the trailer. Which is 200 lbs and pulled by the trike. I have the most expensive coverage with them and to find out that the trike's trailer is not covered. I'm reducing my membership and I'm bringing the attention of this to all of you out there that pull a trailer with your scoot or trike. By the Grace of God. A pick-up truck pulled over to assist us and it turned out to be my neighbor! With ratcheting tie-downs, bungy cords, two lug wrenches (as a splint) and good old duct tape. We managed to remedy a fix that allowed us to pull our trailer home safely. Don't take for granted that Triple A covers what you pull with your trike or bike. They don't and they will be written about their crappy policy!

zoood
RJ: With all that being said I am very happy you are OK. By the way, If you need to borrow my boot protector I will gladly lend it to you.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:49 PM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
RJ: With all that being said I am very happy you are OK. By the way, If you need to borrow my boot protector I will gladly lend it to you.
Dam Mike! Now that was funny. How about sending me a picture of that thing, but not while your using it of course.

RJ

Old 06-27-2011, 09:15 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharknose
Yep, I looked it up and it says right there in the handbook that while motorcycle trailers are covered, utility trailers are not. And you have to assume that a trailer being pulled by a bike is a "utility" trailer. That's a surprise to me, too.
I also have AAA motorcycle coverage...registration on my pull-trailer says "motorcycle" trailer (not utility). I'll be calling AAA before I leave for San Jose on Sunday!

Old 06-28-2011, 03:22 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Kind of blows AAA doesn't cover the trailer also.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:00 AM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Just got off the phone with AAA (Idaho/Oregon) spoke with "Tony" regarding the pull-behind trailers with your motorcycle. Here's the jist of the conversation. If you have the motorcycle coverage with AAA, will NOT cover your pull-beind trailer. Only covers trailers (travel/horse/golf/utility/etc) that can be pulled behind your vehicle (not motorcycle).

For towing: motorcycle coverage only, pull-behind trailer at an additional charge maybe....no guarantee. Sure would hate to hate the trailer sit along side the road!

Sounds like those of us that pull a trailer behind motorcycle would have to do an add-on to our motorcycle insurance coverage?

Quick Reply: Triple A BLOWS!