Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Pingle Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 11:57 AM
TriGlideRider
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pingle Shifter

We installed a Pingle shifter on our TriGlide 3 months ago, but have numerous problems. First, the kill switch module had to be replaced. Then the fuses were blowing so they replaced the main module. Took it back to the dealership yesterday and stalled out 8 times during the 10 mile trip. I noticed in earlier posts that Buddy WMC had similar problems. Is there a way to relocate the foot shifter from the left side to the right side? Anyone out there with similar issues and have they been resolved?

Old 06-07-2011, 01:25 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been down this road with the Pingel shifter failures and I have made a right foot shifter for my trike. I am a A/K left leg amputee myself.

This setup ( picture below) was my first setup and have since made refinements to make it even more reliable. When I made this it was done without stock fairing lowers to start. ( I have Hogg Chopp Lowers ) stock fairing lowers will have to be modified for this to work.

I also spaced my floorboards out 4" to the side and forward 2". A longer brake pedal was used with a it being re-angled for clearance over my right foot shifter setup. I have 30k since making my shifter setup. The $1000 piece of junk Pingel is in a box

Send me a message and we can correspond to get you started

Tom

Attached Thumbnails Pingle Shifter-rightside-heal-toe-shifter.jpg  

Last edited by FLTR2008TRIKE; 06-07-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:02 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TriGlideRider
We installed a Pingle shifter on our TriGlide 3 months ago, but have numerous problems. First, the kill switch module had to be replaced. Then the fuses were blowing so they replaced the main module. Took it back to the dealership yesterday and stalled out 8 times during the 10 mile trip. I noticed in earlier posts that Buddy WMC had similar problems. Is there a way to relocate the foot shifter from the left side to the right side? Anyone out there with similar issues and have they been resolved?
I can feel your frustration. The Pingel is still on my bike and has been working fairly well since the module replacement. At times it will miss a 3-2 downshift.
FLTR sent me some photos of his conversion and Bullet 10 (another AK), sent me photos of his conversion. FLTR's looked a bit complicated to fab up, but I'm sure that could have been overcome. Bullet was in the process of upgrading his to roller bearings for the cross shaft vs bushings if I remember correctly.

To make a long story short while his was being made, I had him have his machinist make one for me as well. The shifter arrrived here last week. I'm waiting on a linkage part to arrive from Landmark. Soon as the part arrives and has been modified I'm having my dealer remove the Pingel as they installed it and have them do install the mechanical. I might get lucky as one of the techs wants my Pingel and I'll trade it off for the mechanical install. More to come after the install has been completed, but there are guys here willing to help each other.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:28 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TriGlideRider
I sent an e-mail a couple of days ago about adjusting the delay on the coil interruptor that's covered in the install instructions. This could be causing your stalling if not adjusted properly. If you are shifting clutcless, try using the clutch when you shift. Mine has been working O.K. since the module replacement except for the 3-2 downshift. Talked to Troy at Pingel and he advised to move the cylinder ahead 1/16" to remedy that. I'll try that adjustment this weekend. Bike goes up to the dealer next weekend for the mechanical shifter install if the weather holds.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:58 PM
bullet 10
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TriGliderider send me PM maybe I can help.