Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

CB Radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 01:24 AM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Default CB Radio

I just got around to attaching headset on my 3/4 helmet and using music and CB radio....have the HD shortie antennas. Anyone else using their CB radio? Anything else I need to know before keying up and talking?

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:55 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I use mine all the time (08 UC-long antennas). Supposedly HD has matched the short antennas to the radio so I would say you are good to go. Even if they are not matched (i.e. good SWR) as good as they should be, as long as you don't recite the Gettysburg address you shouldn't have any problems. Don't expect it to hear or talk very far, 1 to 2 miles max depending on conditions....just hard to get good performance out of a CB on a motorcycle.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:27 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Barbara: I obviously have the short antennas and they work great. They work as good as the ones I had on my 06 Ultra. The only other thing you need to do is set the squelch. The owners manual explains how to do that. Once it is set you generally don't need to do it again.

Mike

Old 05-17-2011, 11:35 AM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks for the replies.....was going to start a search for stock antennas, but good to hear the shorties work.

Have the squelch set at 3 bars. Only issue I have is that the volume on the XM radio via stock radio is at full volume? Is this the norm? Wasn't that way before headset plug-in and CB adjustments.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:01 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by BinIdaho
Thanks for the replies.....was going to start a search for stock antennas, but good to hear the shorties work.

Have the squelch set at 3 bars. Only issue I have is that the volume on the XM radio via stock radio is at full volume? Is this the norm? Wasn't that way before headset plug-in and CB adjustments.
I've found the radio doesn't play very well through the head set in the helmet. I play the radio through the speakers and the CB & intercom through the helmet head set.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:11 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CB

It is easy to check the SWR, a 1:1 match is more efficient and the CB will perform better. However if you are not over a 2, I would not be overly concerned. 3 or worse is a problem and hard on the 11 meter transceiver. You simply cut the stainless steel antenna's back about a 1/4 inch increment at a time or lenghten it until the SWR meter reads 1:1. Most time it is shortening.
Fiberglass antenna's are more problematic! They have cheap antenna tuners for CB/antenna matching, easy to use! The CB will perform better with a tuned rather than with a mismatched antenna.

Of course you can slip you a little ol 500 watt linear HF amplifier in the trunk and talk way down the road but the FCC kinda frowns on it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Maco-91-Cb-H...item19bb8d98b7

They have cheap SWR/tuner combinations for sale at a lot of truck stops. That is a good way to find out what works, ask a trucker. I use this one and only use the factory 4 watt CB barefoot!

Last edited by coupe55; 05-17-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:16 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by msocko3
I've found the radio doesn't play very well through the head set in the helmet. I play the radio through the speakers and the CB & intercom through the helmet head set.
Mike: Think I'll go that route also. Did realize I had my Fader on left speaker headset...no wonder I only got half a song!! I did have to set my XM volume before switching to CB mode.

Have a truck stop nearby...think I'll mosey over and have a chat..think they're on Ch 17 here. Geesh, hope they won't think I'm looking for a date!

Old 05-18-2011, 03:08 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

I use my CB quite a bit, but only when riding with others...we BS a lot going down the road, so getting out there is a non-issue with me....I only care about get 1/2 mile out....we set our squlech fairly high, so to block out other unwanted traffic over the radio....
as for sound, there is no subsitute for good speakers....J&M make a good set, I also use the CB microphone a lot and use the fairing speakers to hear both CB and radio....

Old 05-18-2011, 04:27 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BinIdaho
Mike: Think I'll go that route also. Did realize I had my Fader on left speaker headset...no wonder I only got half a song!! I did have to set my XM volume before switching to CB mode.

Have a truck stop nearby...think I'll mosey over and have a chat..think they're on Ch 17 here. Geesh, hope they won't think I'm looking for a date!
If they do I have complete confidence in you that you will put them in their place.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:40 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
If they do I have complete confidence in you that you will put them in their place.
lol....

Quick Reply: CB Radio