Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

30 Tooth Sprocket

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011 | 06:57 PM
rearnold
|
Cruiser
Default 30 Tooth Sprocket

I are ready have just about all the cooling equipment installed on my 10 Tri, see signuture line. The other day took at trip, with another TRi, but it was a stock 11. He got better gas milage than I did. when I had to fill, he could have gone another, 30-40 miles miles.

What would the advanage of installing a 30 Tooth, give me. with the equipment already install?

What would be the cost? ie parts and labor. Is the back portion of the trike required to be removed?

Thanks

Robert

Old 04-10-2011 | 07:23 PM
Boom
Road Warrior

Robert, as expressed in other posts, the 30t. pulley is a must! Acceleration is much improved, climbing hills has improved without lugging, and 6th gear is usable now at lower speeds! I had a dealer do mine for about $400 mainly because I didn't want to buy the special tools and do the intense labor (for me anyway). I don't know about change in gas mileage yet. I'll check it on a long trip. I'm sure others will chime in here with their experiences on the pulley change. BTW, that pulley is always on backorder from the MoCo. Obviously, a very popular item!

P.S. Also read the first sticky by msocko3.

Last edited by Boom; 04-10-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-10-2011 | 08:10 PM
TheBobs
Road Master

Robert, +1 on everything Boom said. My dealer installed for $396.95. That price included the gear and all the seals, gaskets, nuts, bolts, etc. Labor rate was $79/hr. Seeing your mods, I can tell you that with the 30T, it will pull in 5th and 6th like you can't imagine. The gear ratio will put your torque right where the cam gives it to you. Because the engine is running closer to peak torque at highway speeds, it will take much less throttle and possibly improve your mileage.

Last edited by TheBobs; 04-11-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-10-2011 | 09:50 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Feedback Engineering

The 30T Pulley is everything the above post stated and then some. I however and every 09-2010 owners should be furious! HD might get a pass on the heat problems since 90% of it is EPA mandated!

The gearing! DON'T ANYBODY AT HARLEY EVER RIDE THESE DAMN THINGS?

Three years into a production run to get the gearing right! There is no excuse for it and no excuse for all the 09 and 10 triglide owners having to do this modification! This should have been a call back for all the 09 and 10 owners that wanted it and the intallation paid for by HD. An obvious admission the gearing was crap when they come out with the 30T on the 11's.

Old 04-10-2011 | 10:47 PM
rearnold
|
Cruiser

I will be off to HD Tomorrow. I'll get them to install the 30 T. It there anyway because of a complaint to HD, about the weak and eneffective rear brake. The service manger is sure that HD will replace them using the 2011 brake system.

I'll let you know how this works out.

Robert

Old 04-11-2011 | 04:32 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member

Originally Posted by rearnold
I will be off to HD Tomorrow. I'll get them to install the 30 T. It there anyway because of a complaint to HD, about the weak and eneffective rear brake. The service manger is sure that HD will replace them using the 2011 brake system.

Robert
Certainl'y be interested in how you make out.

Old 04-11-2011 | 05:42 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by coupe55
The 30T Pulley is everything the above post stated and then some. I however and every 09-2010 owners should be furious! HD might get a pass on the heat problems since 90% of it is EPA mandated!

The gearing! DON'T ANYBODY AT HARLEY EVER RIDE THESE DAMN THINGS?

Three years into a production run to get the gearing right! There is no excuse for it and no excuse for all the 09 and 10 triglide owners having to do this modification! This should have been a call back for all the 09 and 10 owners that wanted it and the intallation paid for by HD. An obvious admission the gearing was crap when they come out with the 30T on the 11's.
Sad thing is the MoCo has our money so they don't care anymore. Their customer service after the sale is severely lacking.

Old 04-11-2011 | 06:14 AM
Boom
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rearnold

Robert
Good luck on that one! But then again, you may be one of the lucky ones that has a very good dealer!
Also, I used to complain about the lack of power starting from a dead stop when the engine was hot. Now, with the new pulley, it does not seem to be as severe. I still have the stock cam.

Old 04-11-2011 | 06:29 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member

Not to get to far of subject, but are all the 2011 touring models coming with the 30T or just the Tri Glides?

Old 04-11-2011 | 09:50 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member

Originally Posted by Casper
Not to get to far of subject, but are all the 2011 touring models coming with the 30T or just the Tri Glides?
I believe just the TG.

Quick Reply: 30 Tooth Sprocket