Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

30 Tooth Sprocket

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011 | 07:44 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Tmax

Originally Posted by 7wfsundown
Thanks for the input on my heat related mods as I'm getting closer to having some of the work done. I'm currently getting an estimate for the mods and have asked them to prioritize them in order to spend my money on the upgrades that will make the most difference. Based on preliminary estimates, I sure wish I knew more about turning wrenches!

The service manager at the dealership I'm planning on using for the mods isn't familiar with the TTS tuner as they use the Thundermax. They indicated since they don't have a dyno for the TG's, whatever I decide to use will have to be an auto tuner. In reading the threads, it seems the majority of the TG owners prefer the TTS so not knowing anything about the thundermax, I'm hesitant to go with the dealers recommendation just because they aren't familiar with the TTS.

Anyone out there familiar with the Thundermax and any comparisons between it and the TTS tuner? I've been assuming the TTS is an auto tuner, is this correct

Also, they are recommending I don't do the Jagg 10 row with fan and think that with the exhaust mods, cam and tuner that those should pretty much take care of most of the heat problems.

I'd appreciate any feedback on this as I'm getting close to finalizing my plans for the upgrades.
Tmax will let you recalibrate your speedo if you do the 32T Primary Pulley Change, most tuners seem to like TTS but I believe both are close.

The Jagg 10 row is a cheap upgrade for the extra cooling capacity. I don't think the fan is necessary unless you spend a lot of time in traffic on hot days. No brainer really, when the Trike is not moving you have no air going through the oil cooler, a fan simple lets your oil cooler work when you don't have the natural air flow from riding at speed. You can say the same for the head fan or parade fan. We just copy what the police departments that run Bikes or trikes do. It is not unusual to see parade fans on Police bikes or was not until most departments started going with Metric or European water cooled.

Old 09-01-2011 | 08:56 PM
joelin5386
Tourer

For those of you that have a Motor Trike conversion and change to the 30 tooth sprocket, you will need a new belt also. Just did mine today, and found out the hard way LOL

Old 09-01-2011 | 09:14 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by joelin5386
For those of you that have a Motor Trike conversion and change to the 30 tooth sprocket, you will need a new belt also. Just did mine today, and found out the hard way LOL
Sure hope the dealer didn't tell you that...changed mine, no new betl. Works just fine.

Old 09-02-2011 | 06:04 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

The service manager at the dealership I'm planning on using for the mods isn't familiar with the TTS tuner as they use the Thundermax. They indicated since they don't have a dyno for the TG's, whatever I decide to use will have to be an auto tuner. In reading the threads, it seems the majority of the TG owners prefer the TTS so not knowing anything about the thundermax, I'm hesitant to go with the dealers recommendation just because they aren't familiar with the TTS.

Anyone out there familiar with the Thundermax and any comparisons between it and the TTS tuner? I've been assuming the TTS is an auto tuner, is this correct

Also, they are recommending I don't do the Jagg 10 row with fan and think that with the exhaust mods, cam and tuner that those should pretty much take care of most of the heat problems.
The TTS doesn't auto tune, the Tmax isn't 100% auto tune either. The TTS does allow one to use its V-tune feature to tune their bike or trike by hooking a laptop to it and then collecting data while they ride. We have a member here Icebite1 who is quite fluent in the Tmax and has one installed on a Triglide. To the best of my knowledge he has spent time tweaking and tuning the Tmax which means its not 100% plug n play and forget it. To me the 10 row jagg oil cooler is a nice upgrade from the mediocre oil cooler HD stuck on the Triglide.

Old 09-02-2011 | 09:40 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior

Yes, I have a TMax on the wifes TGlide, I also have 3 more on other HD,s i own. They are very close if not 100% autotune. The tweeking and such I have done on all of them is because i like to tinker and has been for speedo cal, idle adj, a touch with accel fuel and initial pulse fuel. Pretty much i do not have to do any tuning adj. as the unit takes care of itself and all my scooters run real well with them. Now if i had started with another tuner i would probably have just that brand but as the TMax has given no trouble i have stuck with them. I would say that if the dealer does the initial setup you will be just fine.There are several others on here that have the Tmax but I beleive that you dont see much discusion because we dont really have to do much with them.

Last edited by icebite1; 09-02-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-02-2011 | 11:11 AM
Rockwall TG John
Advanced

I gained 10 mpg when I put mine on.

Old 09-20-2011 | 02:10 AM
7wfsundown
5th Gear

Thank you all for you input and I've finally ordered the parts for my upgrades. I've made a few changes from my initial post and have ordered the following:

S&S chain drive Cam EZ-557 P/N 330-0053
SE Premium Tapered Quick Install Adjustable Pushrods P/N 18404-08
HD 30T Transmission Sprocket P/N 83595-11
Jagg 10 Row Oil Cooler Kit w/Fan
Oil Temperature Gauge P/N 75265-04A
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 AC Kit P/N 29260-08
Power Commander V (from Fuelmoto, these guys are great to work with), PC V P/N 15-011
Power Commander Auto Tuner P/N AT-100
Fuelmoto Jackpot 2-1-2 ceramic coated 2010 headpipes
Fuelmoto 3.5" Dyno Tuned Slash up mufflers with baffle

It's going to take several weeks for the header pipes so come in so I'll have some time to look things over real good before getting it into the service department. Might even try some of the minor install stuff myself will have to wait and see. Can't wait for the mods to be done.

By the way, took the trike in for its 1000 mile service and the dealer said while they had it they did a heat related reflash so hopefully that will take care of some of the heat. I'm not holding my breath as while bringing it home from them (10 miles through town), it still got up to 255 degrees, granted it was a 105 degree day.

Thanks again everyone!

Old 09-20-2011 | 06:32 AM
Bubba49
Road Master

Thank you all for you input and I've finally ordered the parts for my upgrades. I've made a few changes from my initial post and have ordered the following:

S&S chain drive Cam EZ-557 P/N 330-0053
SE Premium Tapered Quick Install Adjustable Pushrods P/N 18404-08
HD 30T Transmission Sprocket P/N 83595-11
Jagg 10 Row Oil Cooler Kit w/Fan
Oil Temperature Gauge P/N 75265-04A
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 AC Kit P/N 29260-08
Power Commander V (from Fuelmoto, these guys are great to work with), PC V P/N 15-011
Power Commander Auto Tuner P/N AT-100
Fuelmoto Jackpot 2-1-2 ceramic coated 2010 headpipes
Fuelmoto 3.5" Dyno Tuned Slash up mufflers with baffle

It's going to take several weeks for the header pipes so come in so I'll have some time to look things over real good before getting it into the service department. Might even try some of the minor install stuff myself will have to wait and see. Can't wait for the mods to be done.

By the way, took the trike in for its 1000 mile service and the dealer said while they had it they did a heat related reflash so hopefully that will take care of some of the heat. I'm not holding my breath as while bringing it home from them (10 miles through town), it still got up to 255 degrees, granted it was a 105 degree day.

Thanks again everyone!
Any particular reason you chose the PC V over another tuner (race tuner, etc..)? I had a PC V on my 09 TG and it ran like ***, so I had it replaced with a race tuner. I've been told the PC V is okay if you can get the bike dyno'ed, but the nearest to me is in another state. I've decided to leave well enough alone on my 11 XXX.

Bubba

Bubba

Old 09-20-2011 | 07:23 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior

7wfsundown,
One thing i think you should add to you list is a new oil pressure relief spring as long as you are going to have the cam plate off for the cam swap. Call fuelmoto back and ask them about it, its cheap and they can send it with the other mods.

Bubba49,
if the autotuner for the pcv works anywere close to the Thundermax autotuner you dont need a dyno, they pretty much take care of themselves.

Old 09-20-2011 | 11:27 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member

[quote=icebite1;8838552]7wfsundown,
One thing i think you should add to you list is a new oil pressure relief spring as long as you are going to have the cam plate off for the cam swap. Call fuelmoto back and ask them about it, its cheap and they can send it with the other mods.

quote]

+1 on the oil pressure relief spring. I believe they are called Baisley Springs. I have one in my TG.

Quick Reply: 30 Tooth Sprocket