Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Jagg 10 Row vs Ultra Cool

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011 | 02:22 PM
Buddy WMC
|
Road Warrior
Default Jagg 10 Row vs Ultra Cool

Guys and Gals,

All of my mods are done except for upgrading the 2011 oil cooler. Being in Florida, it is extremely hot here in the summer. I'm leaning towards the Ultra Cool due to the fan assist, but hear they are a bitch to mount and modifications are required. I already have an oil temp guage installed and wish to manually control the fan off the ACC switch if I go with the Ultra Cool.

On the other hand in some background conversations, I've learned that the 10 row Jagg is basically a bolt on. For warranty purposes, I have to have this unit dealer installed. I can't afford to have a bunch of fab work done that really should not be required if the unit is supposed to fit our Tri-Glides.

Pros and cons please, but only from those who have installed these units and the problems encountered with each type. I can not install a parade fan due to the Pingle shifter mounting on the left side. This would also interfere with the right side shifting mechanical unit that Bullet 10 is having fabbed for both of us.

Thanks in advance,
Buddy....

Last edited by Buddy WMC; 04-10-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-10-2011 | 05:09 PM
Boom
Road Warrior

Can't tell you about the Jagg but the latest UltraCool should be a bolt-on if you get the oil filter adapter with it where the i/o ports and thermal switch are on the bottom of the adapter. The led indicator for 'fan on' is included to be mounted on inner fairing. The bottom mounting brackets for voltage regulator placement and cooler have been improved. I haven't installed my upgrades (new cooler, oil filter adapter) yet since I had to go back to stock oil cooler. After about 5000 miles on original UltraCooler, it developed leaks around each cooler i/o port. Others have had similar issue but replaced under warranty. Something to look out for since ports on cooler are not welded or soldered at this time--just tightened with sealant. On my original, I used ACC switch to turn on cooler fan and Lenale fan manually. Worked well in hot outside temps.

Old 04-10-2011 | 05:35 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Been running the Jagg 10 row, the complete install took maybe 1 hour tops. Which cooler is better??? Don't know, for me the Jagg gets the job done. Last summer I was riding in high 90 degree weather while in Nashville and my oil temp never got above 230 while riding and 245 when caught in stop and go traffic. I have no other fans installed, instead I run a tad richer idle in open loop.

Old 04-11-2011 | 02:47 AM
HWY RIDER
Intermediate

Hi, I have installed the Jagg 10 row & two Big Sky Fans. The fans take a small amount of fitting to the cooler. The cooler with the fans installed need to have a simple mount made to attach to the org factory mount. All in all the mounting was not tough at all and the Jagg cooler is much simpler and smaller than the Ultra Cooler. Simpler to me is Important in an oil cooler. I have eight hundred cooler miles on my Triglide with not a bit of trouble.
I liked the look of the Jagg set up, Simple and smaller. I am sure they both will cool your Triglide very well. The choice is up to you

Hwy rider

Old 04-11-2011 | 06:21 AM
Boom
Road Warrior

Another note, I measured the surface area of the UltraCool radiator against the stock HD cooler. They are about the same--12.5 sq." However, the UltraCool has the fan and gaps between fins look wider for better air flow.

Old 04-11-2011 | 12:29 PM
Buddy WMC
|
Road Warrior

Thanks for the replies. I need to know more about the Ultra Cool, mounting problems, need for another adaptor and having to move the clutch cable. Like I stated, looking for a minumum of problems as I have to do this dealer installed.

Yup, I can do this myself, but that's my dealers requirement to stay in warranty.

Old 04-11-2011 | 01:52 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Buddy WMC
Yup, I can do this myself, but that's my dealers requirement to stay in warranty.
I used to do business with a dealer like that, only their mechanics were a bunch of parts changers who left bolts loose and took service short cuts. In your case it sounds like you have a dealer with honest to goodness mechanics.

Old 04-11-2011 | 06:13 PM
Boom
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Buddy WMC
Thanks for the replies. I need to know more about the Ultra Cool, mounting problems, need for another adaptor and having to move the clutch cable. Like I stated, looking for a minumum of problems as I have to do this dealer installed.

Any good tech with good mechanical sense should be able to do the install with no problems. I would say the most labor-intensive part was moving the clutch cable. My issues with the original Ultracool were the need for different size screws that I had on hand. Any time I have added bling on my bikes and removed an OEM part, I always save the hardware! This is why I have trouble moving around in my garage, lol!

Last edited by Boom; 04-11-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-11-2011 | 08:12 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Jagg Vs Ultra

The Jagg is cheaper, easier to install and it works! The Ultra was introduced before they got the installation bugs worked out. They may be fine coolers but after having to reengineer a Harley having to jump through hoops to get an Ultra on is just to much to ask.

I hear they have made progress with the installation but when first introduced it was a bear to install.

Old 04-12-2011 | 08:13 AM
Buddy WMC
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Boom
Any good tech with good mechanical sense should be able to do the install with no problems. I would say the most labor-intensive part was moving the clutch cable. My issues with the original Ultracool were the need for different size screws that I had on hand. Any time I have added bling on my bikes and removed an OEM part, I always save the hardware! This is why I have trouble moving around in my garage, lol!
Coupe,

Thanks to you and everyone else for your input. I spoke with Robert at Ultra Cool yesterday in regards to some of the issues brought forth from all of your guys info. We also discussed the merits of manual vs automatic control. Due to the high ambient temps here, I've decided to go with the Ultra Cool. It was 90 yesterday with 90% humidity, so it felt like 100 and it's only mid April.

Robert is shipping me a kit that I will actually be testing for him. I am to have the unit installed and report back to him on a regular basis concerning any installation difficulties and oil temp readings vs ambient temps and riding conditions.

After the completion of the testing cycle, I also agreed to do an extensive write up on the actual performance of the product. Now if I only knew how to post pics, I'd be in better shape. This will take a few weeks, but I'll post the results when the install has been done and I have some ambient vs oil temp readings recorded.

Last edited by Buddy WMC; 04-12-2011 at 11:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Jagg 10 Row vs Ultra Cool