Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Jagg 10 Row vs Ultra Cool

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011 | 10:04 AM
Buddy WMC
|
Road Warrior

I hear you both, but does the mudflap not restrict airflow to the oil cooler?

Old 04-15-2011 | 04:23 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member

Originally Posted by Buddy WMC
I hear you both, but does the mudflap not restrict airflow to the oil cooler?
It doesn't restrict enough air flow to make any difference.

Old 04-15-2011 | 04:33 PM
Buddy WMC
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
It doesn't restrict enough air flow to make any difference.
Well then I'll give it a try with the Ultra Cool install. Dealer found a defect in the front fender while doing the detail, so we are working on a solution for that now. Otherwise, the detail work was outstanding. Still waiting for the Ultra Cool parts, rear trunk seal and oil temp guage. My dealer is giving me a break on the install as they have to remove the outer fairing under warranty to replace the guage. Yup, I have a great dealer, anyone have any options for the rear mud flaps other than the HD's?

Old 04-15-2011 | 04:43 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior

Buddy, I also was concerned about air flow to the cooler, especially after all the mods i did to cool the beast down.
I did get the timberwolf flap just recently. Befor installing it i took a old cassett tape and made some streamers that i attached to the bottem of the fender with tape and rode the TG, The streamers did fllow but were a little squirrely, i then installed the flap leaving the streamers on and rode again. They were still flowing but a little worse than befor.My conclusion was that it was better than pluged with debris or damaged to use the mud flap verses the minor apparent flow increase without it.
Not too scientific but it helped me make a decision.

Any of you that didnt see the post on the drilled rotors from Lyndall i finally got to try them and they do help with rear braking.

Old 04-15-2011 | 06:10 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Air Flow

Originally Posted by icebite1
Buddy, I also was concerned about air flow to the cooler, especially after all the mods i did to cool the beast down.
I did get the timberwolf flap just recently. Befor installing it i took a old cassett tape and made some streamers that i attached to the bottem of the fender with tape and rode the TG, The streamers did fllow but were a little squirrely, i then installed the flap leaving the streamers on and rode again. They were still flowing but a little worse than befor.My conclusion was that it was better than pluged with debris or damaged to use the mud flap verses the minor apparent flow increase without it.
Not too scientific but it helped me make a decision.

Any of you that didnt see the post on the drilled rotors from Lyndall i finally got to try them and they do help with rear braking.

The only advantage of an Ultra Cooler or the Jag 10 with the fan is sitting or idling in traffic. The fans moving air over the extra coils is where those cooler shine, idling in traffic on a hot day!
It makes no difference about the front fender flaps when you are at speed/in the wind! There is enough air movement through the coolers either with flaps or flapless. At idle/stopped there is no air movement, thus the need for the fans!

Old 04-16-2011 | 12:44 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by coupe55
The only advantage of an Ultra Cooler or the Jag 10 with the fan is sitting or idling in traffic. The fans moving air over the extra coils is where those cooler shine, idling in traffic on a hot day!
It makes no difference about the front fender flaps when you are at speed/in the wind! There is enough air movement through the coolers either with flaps or flapless. At idle/stopped there is no air movement, thus the need for the fans!
+1 Last August while in Nashville I was riding in 95+ degree weather and never got over 230 degrees with the mudflap installed. The only time I made it over 230 was in a traffic jam and the EITMS was kicking on, the temp made it to 245 and no higher, I'm not running any fans on the cooler or engine just the tune.

Old 04-16-2011 | 06:25 AM
Boom
Road Warrior

Well then I'll give it a try with the Ultra Cool install. Dealer found a defect in the front fender while doing the detail, so we are working on a solution for that now. Otherwise, the detail work was outstanding. Still waiting for the Ultra Cool parts, rear trunk seal and oil temp guage. My dealer is giving me a break on the install as they have to remove the outer fairing under warranty to replace the guage. Yup, I have a great dealer, anyone have any options for the rear mud flaps other than the HD's?
Buddy, what's the name of your dealer? I'll have to check them out one day.

Old 04-16-2011 | 07:20 AM
Buddy WMC
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Boom
Buddy, what's the name of your dealer? I'll have to check them out one day.
Boom,
Black Widow HD in Port Charlotte, Florida. They have a website up if you want to Google it up. I'm on a first name basis with everyone in the service dept. They are closed on Mondays, so next week the service manager and his assistant are riding down to see our little operation. Really good guys to work with. They found a couple of issues during the first service that I was not aware of. Parts are on order and they'll take care of the replacements under warranty when they come in.

Last edited by Buddy WMC; 04-16-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-17-2011 | 12:42 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Boom,
Black Widow HD in Port Charlotte, Florida. They have a website up if you want to Google it up. I'm on a first name basis with everyone in the service dept. They are closed on Mondays, so next week the service manager and his assistant are riding down to see our little operation. Really good guys to work with. They found a couple of issues during the first service that I was not aware of. Parts are on order and they'll take care of the replacements under warranty when they come in.
Damn a dealer who finds problems, orders parts all without prompting. Wow you found a gem of a dealer. The hacks my dad and I used to deal with wouldn't do **** unless you beat them with a stick, and then they'd take short cuts or leave bolts loose. The thing that amazes me is somehow they managed to get a bronze bar & shield award for 2010, if HD truly knew how incompetent they really are.

Old 04-17-2011 | 06:26 AM
Boom
Road Warrior

The dealer I've been going to for years begs me to give them all "10s" whenever I get a survey on them from the Moco. If I do, I get 10 rider points which is worth 10 bucks towards a purchase in their shop. This is how they get those gold awards. Finally after 10 years they know me on a first-name basis! Time to move on---in 18 months!

Quick Reply: Jagg 10 Row vs Ultra Cool