Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Jagg 10 Row vs Ultra Cool

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011 | 10:34 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Testing

Originally Posted by Buddy WMC
Coupe,

Thanks to you and everyone else for your input. I spoke with Robert at Ulta Cool yesterday in regards to some of the issues brought forth from all of your guys info. We also discussed the merits of manual vs automatic control. Due to the high ambient temps here, I've decided to go with the Ultra Cool. It was 90 yesterday with 90% humidity, so it felt like 100 and it's only mid April.

Robert is shipping me a kit that I will actually be testing for him. I am to have the unit installed and report back to him on a regular basis concerning any installation difficulties and oil temp readings vs ambient temps and riding conditions.

After the completion of the testing cycle, I also agreed to do an extensive write up on the actual performance of the product. Now if I only knew how to post pics, I'd be in better shape. This will take a few weeks, but I'll post the results when the install has been done and I have some ambient vs oil temp readings recorded.
This should have be done at the onset, before the units were sold in mass! I believe they are a fine unit, the advantage of an intrigal fan instead of an add on is a plus as the Arizona Fans are a little punny.
They may get better numbers than the Jagg 10 Row after they get the installation bugs worked out. However when even some dealers are having problems installing them they need to get out in front of the bad press. I am looking forward to those temp numbers. This is what makes a good forum!

Old 04-12-2011 | 11:08 AM
Buddy WMC
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by coupe55
This should have be done at the onset, before the units were sold in mass! I believe they are a fine unit, the advantage of an intrigal fan instead of an add on is a plus as the Arizona Fans are a little punny.
They may get better numbers than the Jagg 10 Row after they get the installation bugs worked out. However when even some dealers are having problems installing them they need to get out in front of the bad press. I am looking forward to those temp numbers. This is what makes a good forum!
Coupe,
Thanks, spoke with my dealer this morning and they have no problem with doing the conversion for warranty purposes. Soon as I get the unit and can have it installed, I'll get back with some results. I'm also removing my lowers for the summer to see if this helps with the airflow and cooling. I'll probably be sorry if I get caught in the rain, but that's what rainsuits are for (lol). I'm ordering the quick lower detach kit, although I feel HD should give us those at N/C when we buy and live in a warmer climate and it's recommended in the owners manual.

Old 04-12-2011 | 11:11 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

For anyone else thinking of getting an UltraCool I will sell them for $399 shipped in the ConUS. Please call teh shop to palce your order. The old style which are not set up for an oil temp gague are $325. We all run UltraCools at the shop and find them to be a far superior unit to a regular oil cooler.

Drew

Drew

Old 04-12-2011 | 12:14 PM
bullet 10
Tourer

They need to work on soldering hose connection pipes instead of pressed . No one wants to keep removing them because of an oil leak. Just my oppinion. I like where they mount up away from front tire backwash, verses HD or Jagg. Would like to move my stock cooler up but too wide for hose connections.

Old 04-12-2011 | 12:39 PM
Luzierg
Intermediate

I installed my ultra cool last week and tried it out this Sunday. The temperature here in Ohio finally reached 80. My average temp ran 260. I was surprized it ran that hot. My previous bike was a '09 ultra and it never was over 230. My next adventure is a set of header pipes from fuelmoto and a power commander V. I should get them installed by next week........I've noticed that I have a small leak. It's hard to tell where it is coming from. I've read in previous messages that the problem could be in the cooler..........

Last edited by Luzierg; 04-12-2011 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 04-12-2011 | 01:02 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default 260

Originally Posted by Luzierg
I installed my ultra cool last week and tried it out this Sunday. The temperature here in Ohio finally reached 80. My average temp ran 260. I was surprized it ran that hot. My previous bike was a '09 ultra and it never was over 230. My next adventure is a set of header pipes from fuelmoto and a power commander V. I should get them installed by next week........I've noticed that I have a small leak. It's hard to tell where it is coming from. I've read in previous messages that the problem could be in the cooler..........
That is on the warm side for average 80 degree temps but you have to remember your 09 did not have the catalytic converters. I am betting you will see some better Temp numbers with the Fuel Moto Pipe and the PC-V. I ran around 245 on 90-95 degree days in traffic, would drop back to around 200-210 when I got back in the wind. Although 260 is well within the safe limits for good synthetic oil and below where the EITMS kicks in I am a firm believer that the lower oil temps lead to extended engine life.

Old 04-12-2011 | 02:26 PM
Buddy WMC
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bullet 10
They need to work on soldering hose connection pipes instead of pressed . No one wants to keep removing them because of an oil leak. Just my oppinion. I like where they mount up away from front tire backwash, verses HD or Jagg. Would like to move my stock cooler up but too wide for hose connections.
Tom,
IMO, you worry too much. When I get mine I'll check it out before installation. It's very easy for a few bucks to have any radiator shop secure those fittings with a braze or silver solder and a simple repaint before installation that they can do.

If it looks like a problem area, I'll have that done and let you all know along with Robert. Best part is Robert warranties his parts and replaces them for free, how can you beat that??

Old 04-12-2011 | 02:28 PM
Buddy WMC
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
For anyone else thinking of getting an UltraCool I will sell them for $399 shipped in the ConUS. Please call teh shop to palce your order. The old style which are not set up for an oil temp gague are $325. We all run UltraCools at the shop and find them to be a far superior unit to a regular oil cooler.

Drew

Drew
Drew,

Do you replace any defective parts or direct the customer to Ultra Cool??

Old 04-12-2011 | 05:32 PM
Boom
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bullet 10
If you intend on keeping your stock cooler, get the front wheel leather mud flap. Works wonders on keeping stones and crap off the stock cooler veins.

Old 04-12-2011 | 06:47 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member

Originally Posted by Boom
If you intend on keeping your stock cooler, get the front wheel leather mud flap. Works wonders on keeping stones and crap off the stock cooler veins.
+1 on the mud flap. M3 and I put one on our TG when we installed the Jagg.

Quick Reply: Jagg 10 Row vs Ultra Cool