Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Security System Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Security System Issues

Hey guys,

As a fairly new owner, I'm not quite sure how the security system is supposed to work. I spent all morning going through my manuals and from what I can tell the module is bad and has been since purchased. According to the manual, when you shut off the bike off even with the fob near the bike, the directionals should flash and the red key should blink on the dash.

This has never happened since the bike was new. There seems to be no fuse to check and the module is under the right side cover. Seems also to be no fuse for this circuit. We kind of discoverd this today while programming the radio. Any advice before I call and bitch my dealer out in the morning??

Thanks,
Buddy......

Old 04-03-2011, 01:49 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddy WMC

Hey guys,

As a fairly new owner, I'm not quite sure how the security system is supposed to work. I spent all morning going through my manuals and from what I can tell the module is bad and has been since purchased. According to the manual, when you shut off the bike off even with the fob near the bike, the directionals should flash and the red key should blink on the dash.

This has never happened since the bike was new. There seems to be no fuse to check and the module is under the right side cover. Seems also to be no fuse for this circuit. We kind of discoverd this today while programming the radio. Any advice before I call and bitch my dealer out in the morning??

Thanks,
Buddy......
What does it do if you turn the ignition on while the clutch is pulled in or it is in neutral, if it doesn't blink and go wild there is a problem. You did get your with the security system?

Old 04-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Cheezyrider
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security System

It could be that it is just turned off at the dealer when purchased. It will tell how to activate and deactivate in your manual. I believe at most dealers they use part of your vin number but you would need to check with your dealer.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:58 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddy WMC

Hey guys,

Thanks,
Buddy......
M3 is correct. Did your TG come with the security system? It is an option not standard equipment. Some dealers order the TG without the security system and then install one if you want it.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:24 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Cheezyrider
It could be that it is just turned off at the dealer when purchased. It will tell how to activate and deactivate in your manual. I believe at most dealers they use part of your vin number but you would need to check with your dealer.
After reveiwing the Service Manual and Owners manual, we think this is what happened. We think the dealer never armed the system before delivery. She's going up for first service on Saturday, so we''ll have them take a looksee. There's also a couple of other minor issues that need to be addressed.

M3, Yes, it was a factory installed system not an add on.

Thanks for the ideas all.
Buddy....

Old 04-04-2011, 08:52 AM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One way you could check the function of your security system would be to just try to start it without the fob being close to the bike. If it starts, there's something wrong.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Morris9982
One way you could check the function of your security system would be to just try to start it without the fob being close to the bike. If it starts, there's something wrong.
Yep, she'll still start with the fobs at least 40' away. No directional flashing or red key light blinking when shut off. I think it was either never armed, or it was disarmed when the cams and exhausts were installed. We never ever remember that this worked since delivery, but just got around to checking everything while programming the radio. They'll take care of it I'm sure.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:28 PM
Daymon52
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, my FLHT security fob got damaged. Used bike and dealership doesn't know the code. Is there anything I can do without spending lots of money?

Old 04-25-2012, 12:02 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Daymon52
Hi, my FLHT security fob got damaged. Used bike and dealership doesn't know the code. Is there anything I can do without spending lots of money?

They should be able to marry another fob to it, I would assume they should also be able to clear out the code.