Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Clunck

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 05:56 PM
mvengineer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunck

When I shift my TG into first gear, it generates a loud and a thrusty "CLUNCK". I tried several things to no avail. I let the bike warm up a few minutes, pulled and released clutch lever several time before shifting, rocked it back and forth in neutral etc. After a few miles the noise and thrust of shifting gets less.Is this normal?? I have 3500 Miles on the bike, so will it get better with more miles?? Mine is 2009 TG UC.

Does this harm the bike. It sounds a lot of wear and tear to me. what causes this hard shift and is it avoidable. is there a routine I should follow ??
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by mvengineer; 04-02-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:20 AM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will get better with time but maybe your clutch cable needs adjustment? Also, many of us are using a good syn gear oil after first oil change as a must. I always use Redline Heavy Duty Shockproof in my bike transmissions.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:30 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Boom
It will get better with time but maybe your clutch cable needs adjustment? Also, many of us are using a good syn gear oil after first oil change as a must. I always use Redline Heavy Duty Shockproof in my bike transmissions.
+1. Its just the good old HD clunk. The Redline Heavy Duty Shockproof sure does make a difference.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:48 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

The clunk is caused by the clutch plates still sticking together which will happen after it has been sitting for a spell. HD puts Formula+ in the primary which is the viscosity of a 50wt oil this is why the plates stick. I wouldn't be concerned because its normal and won't hurt anything.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:16 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Boom
Good Advice and my dealer changed the trans oil before the first service to Bel Ray 85-140 gear saver. I asked why and was told my technician said it was shifting too hard for his liking. Seems much better now even with the electric shifter. I'll really be able to tell when Bullet gets our mechanical units built.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:16 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Clutch adj. and good trans oil, red line heavy shockproof works good for me.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:41 PM
Glyder
Road Captain

Like Msocko said.....its the clutch plates sticking. Example........hold your clutch in for 30 seconds when you first start up your bike for the day.....drop it in gear and ill bet you the famous HD clunk didnt happen.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:47 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I also use RedLine Primary oil, supposed to help with the sticking clutch plates. Of course other oils may make the same claim.Seems to work OK in wifes TG .

Old 04-04-2011, 09:21 PM
mvengineer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glyder
Like Msocko said.....its the clutch plates sticking. Example........hold your clutch in for 30 seconds when you first start up your bike for the day.....drop it in gear and ill bet you the famous HD clunk didnt happen.
I will try that. Seems easy enough. thanks

Old 04-05-2011, 10:40 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 478 Likes on 291 Posts

I don't worry about it, every Harley I've had going back to 1969 had the clunk.

Quick Reply: Clunck