Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Possibly a new Tri Glide

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 06:46 PM
halfbreed
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Possibly a new Tri Glide

I have been riding motorcycles since the early sixties, both metric and HD, and I am not new to trikes, as I owned and rode a Goldwing trike, Roadsmith conversion, and really liked it. But, I missed two wheels and went back to a Road King. I remain active at age 75, still pastor a church full time, stay active in other activities and really love to ride. However, after two total hip replacements, my legs aren't the same and I am beginning to feel uncomfortable on my Road King. I sat on a Tri Glide at the dealership yesterday, and I am in the process of negotiating a price. However, I do have some questions about the Tri Glide. I have read some posts on this forum relative to the rear brakes and parking brake. Does this condition exist on the 2011's or is it just on the 09's and the 10's? It is my understanding that Harley is now making the Tri Glides and not using another vendor for the "trike" portion. Is this correct? Are there any other issues with which I need to be aware? I know the gas mileage will be lower than my Road King, but what should I expect? The HD publication states 48 mpg, but I don't get that on my Road King. I got about 33 mpg on my Gold Wing.
I looked at getting my Road King converted with the Roadsmith conversion, but they want $15,000.00 for the conversion and I would only have a converted Road King, (I have a 103 motor in my Road King) and none of the other goodies found on an Ultra. At my age, I accept the fact that my time on two wheels may not be very much longer, but I have no reason to believe that my days on a motorcycle will be limited. So, I am ready to accept the inevitable and make the transition to a trike. Any suggestions or insights you may wish to share with me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bill

Old 03-13-2011, 07:45 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Unfortunately the 2011's also have the same brake and parking brake issues as the 09 - 10's, Harley doesn't feel there is an issue so their deaf to the problem. To me the parking brake is a poor design that wears out the rear brake pads sooner than they should be because each time you adjust it there will be wear on the pads. I solved the problem by removing the parking brake and will use a Velcro strap to apply the front brakes as a parking brake if I feel the need for it. Harley has moved the trike production to their York Pa plant which I would hope is a plus because I don't feel Lehman does a very good job, their paint quality was 3rd rate and they would leave fasteners loose. Fuel mileage for the most part will fall in the 30 - 36 mpg range depending on how fast your riding and if your bucking a head wind. The 48 mpg Harley quotes is a pipe dream because I don't think there is a single Triglide out there that could sniff that mileage. Since the 2010 MY they have installed a catalytic converter on all Touring models and Trikes, the converter does make for a hot foot which Harley also denies is a problem. Aside from a few warts the Triglde is a great platform, it rides good and handles great. I'm a youngster at 46 and find my Triglide is a hoot to ride, and quite comfortable to travel on.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:30 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a tad bit older than Msocko3 and I find the TG a great bike to ride. My wife and I do alot of long distance touring. There are issues with the TG but there would be issues regardless with anything else you would buy. Since you are not new to riding a trike I say pull the trigger and don't look behind you.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:07 AM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said M3!
Halfbreed, I'm close to retirement and continue to look for improvements on my '10 TG to suit my needs. I just hope I am as active as you are when I reach 75. Bravo!!

Old 03-14-2011, 08:07 AM
halfbreed
Cruiser

msocko3,oldmsocko and boom: Thank you all for your reply to my question. I appreciate your "words of wisdom" and encouragement. I have decided I will call the dealer tomorrow and offer $29,000.00 out the door with a rear bumper. The best price I recieved yesterday was $30,000.00 out the door with a rear bumper, but one dealer told me he wants to sell (they have three on the floor and three more in their warehouse), so I will make the $29,000 offer. However, please understand that in Oklahoma we do not pay the excise tax to the dealer. We have 28 days in which to go to a local tag agent and pay the tax, tags, and title fees, which will amount to about $1,200.00. So, actually, I am negotiating a deal which is in line with what I am reading on this forum is a typical selling price. Now, the only reservation I have is this: As a pastor,I make a lot of hospital, nursing home, and house visits and I normally wear my clerical collar etc.. Now I do not have a problem wearing these while riding a motorcycle, because that's how I dressed when I had my Goldwing. However, the Goldwing has a lot of "plastic" covering the hot pipes, etc.. I have ruined two pair of pants when I was riding my Ultra Classic while making pastoral visits. The material would melt when it came in contact with the hot pipes, and that is one of the reasons I went to the Goldwing. I know they have changed the pipe configuration and I am hoping this will prevent any more problems with burns on my britches! I would not mind wearing my chaps during the winter months, but not in the heat of the summer. Anyway, this is a decision I need to make and I will keep you current on the status of my decision.
Thanks, Halfbreed

Old 03-14-2011, 08:20 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by halfbreed
Now, the only reservation I have is this: As a pastor,I make a lot of hospital, nursing home, and house visits and I normally wear my clerical collar etc.. Now I do not have a problem wearing these while riding a motorcycle, because that's how I dressed when I had my Goldwing. However, the Goldwing has a lot of "plastic" covering the hot pipes, etc.. I have ruined two pair of pants when I was riding my Ultra Classic while making pastoral visits. The material would melt when it came in contact with the hot pipes, and that is one of the reasons I went to the Goldwing. I know they have changed the pipe configuration and I am hoping this will prevent any more problems with burns on my britches! I would not mind wearing my chaps during the winter months, but not in the heat of the summer. Anyway, this is a decision I need to make and I will keep you current on the status of my decision.
Thanks, Halfbreed
You still may have this problem, the exhaust gets pretty warm and its still routed the same on the right side as it has in years past. Only real change is they put right the side pipe underneath instead of coming across the top of the transmission on pre 09 models.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the two-inch floorboard extensions. That should get the heat off your pant leg.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:18 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by halfbreed
msocko3,oldmsocko and boom: Thank you all for your reply to my question. I appreciate your "words of wisdom" and encouragement. I have decided I will call the dealer tomorrow and offer $29,000.00 out the door with a rear bumper. The best price I recieved yesterday was $30,000.00 out the door with a rear bumper, but one dealer told me he wants to sell (they have three on the floor and three more in their warehouse), so I will make the $29,000 offer. However, please understand that in Oklahoma we do not pay the excise tax to the dealer. We have 28 days in which to go to a local tag agent and pay the tax, tags, and title fees, which will amount to about $1,200.00. So, actually, I am negotiating a deal which is in line with what I am reading on this forum is a typical selling price. Now, the only reservation I have is this: As a pastor,I make a lot of hospital, nursing home, and house visits and I normally wear my clerical collar etc.. Now I do not have a problem wearing these while riding a motorcycle, because that's how I dressed when I had my Goldwing. However, the Goldwing has a lot of "plastic" covering the hot pipes, etc.. I have ruined two pair of pants when I was riding my Ultra Classic while making pastoral visits. The material would melt when it came in contact with the hot pipes, and that is one of the reasons I went to the Goldwing. I know they have changed the pipe configuration and I am hoping this will prevent any more problems with burns on my britches! I would not mind wearing my chaps during the winter months, but not in the heat of the summer. Anyway, this is a decision I need to make and I will keep you current on the status of my decision.
Thanks, Halfbreed
I ride an '09 TG and wear jeans/chaps/armor pants and no "melting"...you will be fine. Some of issues stated I have not experienced...one of the lucky few, I guess. I didn't buy the TG for gas mileage....comfort and stability since I'm mentally/physically challenged! Good luck and you will not regret it.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Diesel-Dawg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boom
Get the two-inch floorboard extensions. That should get the heat off your pant leg.
+1 on getting the 2 inch floorboard extensions. Talk to Tom, at Harleygoodies.com. He can set you up. They are top notch and makes you more comfortable and keeps legs and shoes/pants from the hot pipes. While you are on the Tri Glide, you could use a velco strap to tighten the pant leg on the right foot...then simply take it off when you come to a stop. I have a 2011 tri glide and have had goldwing and valkyrie trikes. Like this one the best.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:25 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Lose the Cat

and wrap the new pipes with header wrap and seal. The largest gain in reduced radiated heat and best for rider comfort! The floor board extensions will also get you away from the heat.

Quick Reply: Possibly a new Tri Glide