Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

tri glide leans

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 10:29 AM
TKanaley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by halfbreed
After reading this post, I measured my new TG and guess what, it leans 3/4" on the left side. I went to the dealer this morning, measured one on the floor and it is perfect. There was one outside and it too was perfect. I talked with the service manager and he admitted it is a problem, but he does not know (at least that's what he claims) what is contributing to the problem is or how to fix it. I also checked tires etc. but could not find the cause. He said he will "look into it" for me. The left fender has some defect on it and he dealer ordered a new replacement. Actually, they called my attention to the defect, and when they change the fender I will be right there looking at the manner in which the body is attached to the frame. Maybe the worker in the assembly plant needs a lift in his left shoe!
If you got under the bike and measured from the rear frame members to the floor. You would see how the whole rear frame leans and not just the body. There are 8 attachement bolts fastening the rear frame to the intermediate frame. There is also room around the intermediate frame bosses where by loosening the 8 bolts, the frame can be adjusted one way or the other. The problem I think is getting the body mounting holes lined up after aligning the rear frame. The holes may need to be enlongenated and then things may not line up as nicely.

What bothers me most about the slight lean mine has, is that the space between the rear tire sidewall and fender is different as well. I have 1/2" less space on the right side than I do the left which indicates to me 1/4" off center.

They probably got a assembly jig on the line that's a little out of whack since every leaning bike leans the same direction.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:10 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TKanaley
If you got under the bike and measured from the rear frame members to the floor. You would see how the whole rear frame leans and not just the body. There are 8 attachement bolts fastening the rear frame to the intermediate frame. There is also room around the intermediate frame bosses where by loosening the 8 bolts, the frame can be adjusted one way or the other. The problem I think is getting the body mounting holes lined up after aligning the rear frame. The holes may need to be enlongenated and then things may not line up as nicely.

What bothers me most about the slight lean mine has, is that the space between the rear tire sidewall and fender is different as well. I have 1/2" less space on the right side than I do the left which indicates to me 1/4" off center.

They probably got a assembly jig on the line that's a little out of whack since every leaning bike leans the same direction.
This is exactly what tech services had my dealer do to mine. They pulled the rear frame and elongated the holes. It's all good now.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:47 PM
petewerner
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TKanaley
High Desert HD in Boise had 9 Tri Glides in stock a month or so back. I measured 6 of them and they ALL leaned to the left anywhere from 3/8" to 3/4" of an inch. While I was out on the showroom floor measuring 3 of them that were side by side, I brought it to the attention of the sales manager and he acted as if I just told him his wife was ugly or something. He basically acknowledged what I was politely trying to show him with a nod and half hearted smile and then went back to staring at his computer screen.

One of the staff Mechanics who I like and who I've worked with before, got on the phone with HD on what to do about left leaning Trikes (mine also leans 3/8" of an inch). They told him that unless it was leaning an inch or more they would consider it...drum roll please...you guessed it...normal.
I hear u about the sales manager!! I got lied to by him, not anyone I will deal with again. Service guys seem ok. No problem with others, JUST him.
Sorry, nuff said.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:22 PM
paw paw willie
Banned
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Buddy, What dealer took care of your lean? I bought my TG in Lakeland But Black Widow is close. Thanks.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:34 PM
RonT
Novice

Well dam, I just measured my 2011 TG and it too is 1/2" low on left side.
Dont know if that is enough to have them mess around with or not. I just bought mine a couple weeks ago, so it doesnt look like they are addressing it very well. I think Im going to stop reading this forum, I keep finding more stuff to be cranky about...LOL! Thanks for the info.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:27 AM
03 Softail
Cruiser

I have a 2010 T.G. and it also leans to the left by 3/8 of an inch.
has anyone heard of the 2010 having this problem, all I've seen is to
be a problem with th 11's.
thanks

Old 04-26-2011, 07:27 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paw paw willie
Buddy, What dealer took care of your lean? I bought my TG in Lakeland But Black Widow is close. Thanks.
Sorry,
I didn't see your post earlier. HD had me take her to Ft.Myers HD to have the factory rep look at the paint issue. I bought my bike at Black Widow and Ft. Myers HD did the work as a courtesy to them and myself.

The rear of the bike was repainted per the factory rep due to excessive orange peel in the paint. After the parts were returned from the paint shop and the bike was reassembled, we caught the lean. Had to wait a few weeks as tech services was closed. Took her back over there and they removed and notched the rear frame per tech sevices reference # 1159343. After reassembly the bike was good. Hope this helps, If you go to Ft. Myers HD Danny, Todd and Tracy are aware of the issue.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:46 AM
bullet 10
Tourer

My 2010 tri also has lean and difference in wheel to fender measurements,(can't really tell with out measuring) no problem in ride or handling. I fought my motor trike conversion to center the body on it left wheel rubbing fender in cornering) drilling holes,then had trouble with other stuff lining up (pain in the a&&) don't know if worth the trouble changing under MOCO or not.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:13 PM
scooty
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up leaner

I fixed the lean problem on my new 11 today, took the body off and had to hog the mounting holes on the lh side as there was not enough hole to raise the lh side enough to level it so I used a pee-wee grinder to elongate the holes andf it now sits perfectly level. Not a bad job just putsy, I can now see why ALL of the 2011's are leaners, it looks like these brackets are all drilled wrong which doesn't allow for enough movement to level the rear frame section without hoging out the holes.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:37 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Scooty, Just wondering if you checked the panhard adj. (mine was off 1 1/2 turns ) while you had the box off? I had my box off to install the new lift plates .

If anyone else removes the box it would be an easy task to adj./check your belt tension and/or get rid of the parking brake if you so desire.

Quick Reply: tri glide leans