Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tires wear and Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 02:23 PM
rearnold
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires wear and Brakes

I have almost 15000 miles on my 2010 Tri glidetires and they look like I get another 5,6 thousand out of they. I run 38lbs on front and 28 on rear. That would put them around 21000, before I need to change. Does this sound right and has anyone bought new tires for their trike and what was the Cost and where did you buy them.

I will probly have to put rear brakes on my trike here shortly. They don't feel like they are stopping the bike in the distance that they should. I've you use my front brakes almost 90 % of the time and rear brake usually only for holding a redlights or idle.

I don't want to take it to the local HD dealer, because they are in the process of going chapter 11, and if they bike was in thier shop, if something fell thru, I might have troulbe getting my trike back in a timely manner. Also the parts department are having trouble stocking, ie oil filter on hand 3 0r 4 chorme or black ea, plus assorries are not stocked or display on walls as the use to be.

If you have change the rear brake and rotors using the 2011 parts, can any one provide me with all the parts and number I need to order from lakeshore or another dearler. I can have Dirty Dave here in Edinberg, Tx to do the job.

Thanks

Robert

Old 03-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

I would think the rear tires will last a longtime, 25000 plus. I run 41 in the front and I'm looking for 25000 or better from the front too.

Brakes? Some have went with Lyndal pads....I believe

Old 03-11-2011, 10:46 AM
SEAlaskan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rearnold
I have almost 15000 miles on my 2010 Tri glidetires and they look like I get another 5,6 thousand out of they. I run 38lbs on front and 28 on rear. That would put them around 21000, before I need to change. Does this sound right and has anyone bought new tires for their trike and what was the Cost and where did you buy them.

I will probly have to put rear brakes on my trike here shortly. They don't feel like they are stopping the bike in the distance that they should. I've you use my front brakes almost 90 % of the time and rear brake usually only for holding a redlights or idle.

I don't want to take it to the local HD dealer, because they are in the process of going chapter 11, and if they bike was in thier shop, if something fell thru, I might have troulbe getting my trike back in a timely manner. Also the parts department are having trouble stocking, ie oil filter on hand 3 0r 4 chorme or black ea, plus assorries are not stocked or display on walls as the use to be.

If you have change the rear brake and rotors using the 2011 parts, can any one provide me with all the parts and number I need to order from lakeshore or another dearler. I can have Dirty Dave here in Edinberg, Tx to do the job.

Thanks

Robert
I did replaced my old ('09 TG) rear brake pads with Lyndal pads and didn't feel any difference between the old '09 pads and the new, as far as lasting longer, forget it. I have ordered the new '11 Rear Master Cylinder and Calipers hoping that will make a difference since the company has improved them.
Butch

Old 03-11-2011, 11:03 AM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 413 Likes on 220 Posts

18,000 on front tire, rears will easily go 50k (25k now and no signs of wear). Rear brakes on the TG suck big time, pads and calipers too small for that much weight. Replaced the first set of rear pads at 7k. Very uneven wear and two were down to the chirper. The parking brake seems to be part of the problem of pad wear, removed it and have 18k on this set. Even fully loosened there is too much pressure on the calipers from the parking brake. Just my observations.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:03 PM
SEAlaskan
Tourer

Originally Posted by 1plumr1
18,000 on front tire, rears will easily go 50k (25k now and no signs of wear). Rear brakes on the TG suck big time, pads and calipers too small for that much weight. Replaced the first set of rear pads at 7k. Very uneven wear and two were down to the chirper. The parking brake seems to be part of the problem of pad wear, removed it and have 18k on this set. Even fully loosened there is too much pressure on the calipers from the parking brake. Just my observations.
I have to agree with u on the P brake being one of the problems.
Butch

Old 03-11-2011, 01:15 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

I have 10,000 miles and my front tire has at least another 10,000 left in it, the rear tires look like new. My dad has 20,000 miles on is and his front tire has around another 2,000 left in it and the back tires look like new. This winter we replaced the rear brake pads with the Lyndall gold just for the heck of it. My back brake pads had quite a bit of life left, my dads which had 20,000 miles on still could have gone another 5,000 before they would have needed replaced. The front brake pads still have tones of pad left so we're still running the stock fronts. Everyones wear will vary depending on how they ride. Someone who rides around town with lots of turns will wear a front tire quicker than a person who rides freeways. Same thing with brake pad wear, stop and go and around town will shorten life vs someone who rides freeways, using a bunch of back brake vs front will kill the rear brakes quick. Those who have ridden on 2 wheels will remember that 75% of your braking power is in the front brakes, the trike is no different, just dropping the hammer on the rear brake peddle will kill them quick. I stop the Triglide the same as I stop my 2 wheel 06 Ultra, I use a majority of front brake vs back because thats where the majority of the stopping power is. The reason your stopping power is greater on the front vs the back is due to weight transfer which increases the front tires contact patch with the road and.

When you apply the brakes everything moves forward which plants more weight on the front tire and shifts weight off the rear tires. As an example I had to stop in a hurry when a little old lady decided she wanted to turn left in front of me at an intersection, now I was riding my 2 wheel bike at the time but the same applies to a trike. Anyway, I had anticipated her doing this so I had already let go of the throttle and was ready with the brakes. Of course this all happened in a period of 10 seconds if that while I was traveling at 40 mph. When the nice little lady made her turn I squeezed a lot of front brake and pushed down a little bit on the back brake, notice I said squeezed the brake, pulling quick and hard would have cause a front tire lockup because enough weight would not have been transfered. While doing this I could feel the weight transfer and the front forks compress which also told me I was transferring weight from back to front. My wife was riding with me at the time so I was expecting her to slam into my back so I readied myself for the impact, to my surprise it didn't happen. After I came to almost a dead stop missing the nice little old ladies front fender by about a foot I mentioned to the wife I was surprised she didn't come forward and strike me. She had gotten a hold of the the grab handles and held on tight, she did say her back side came about an inch off the seat.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:27 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I also went with Lyndall rear gold+ pads on the wifes TG without much noticable difference in stopping power if any.
As most of you know I have since had the rear rotors drilled ( pattern simular to the front rotor) and chamfered by Lyndall. The thing with that is I got them back right after we started to get snow here and have been snowed in ever since so no testing on them yet.

Last edited by icebite1; 03-11-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:18 PM
dw2169
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

On my 08 Ultra with a Lehman kit, I got 21,000 on the Dunlop factory front and 40,000 on the Dunlop factory rears. I probably could have got more miles out of the rears but I traded it off for the 2011 TriGlide. According to the Lehman manual, I ran 29 pounds in the front and 26 pounds in the back. The book said run the front a little soft so you have a wider tire patch on the ground. It made sense to me. I put on a Michelin rear tire on the front running backwards. It sure hugged the road. I had 20,000 thousand miles on that tire and I was sure it would go another 5000 or more. I never changed the break pads in the 40,000 that I put on the trike.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:21 AM
Boom
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dw2169
On my 08 Ultra with a Lehman kit, I got 21,000 on the Dunlop factory front and 40,000 on the Dunlop factory rears. I probably could have got more miles out of the rears but I traded it off for the 2011 TriGlide. According to the Lehman manual, I ran 29 pounds in the front and 26 pounds in the back. The book said run the front a little soft so you have a wider tire patch on the ground. It made sense to me. I put on a Michelin rear tire on the front running backwards. It sure hugged the road. I had 20,000 thousand miles on that tire and I was sure it would go another 5000 or more. I never changed the break pads in the 40,000 that I put on the trike.
I'll bet you had 11.5" rotors on the rear of that Lehman kit, eh?