Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Pitted rear wheels...guess it was from road brime

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 11:09 AM
Diesel-Dawg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pitted rear wheels...guess it was from road brime

delete

Last edited by Diesel-Dawg; 03-10-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:22 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel-Dawg
I rode only one day and after a rain in NC. Did not realize it, but some of the road water must have had salt on it. Only my rear wheels are pitted on the rim areas...looks bad. Front wheel did not get any damage. I made the mistake of not washing the bike when I got it home. How do I get the original aluminum rims back to normal looks and how do I protect in future from happening?

I know one answer is not to ride this early, but was just trying to charge the battery. I am thinking about getting some very fine steel wool and wet sanding the aluminum...any advice is appreciated. I only have 600 miles on my 2011...is this a warranty item (I know....this is a stupid question)?
I do believe you can remedy the battery issue by putting a battery tender on it. I am not sure what to do with the pitting. I sure alot of elbow grease is in order. You can buy at Walmart a product called Never-Dull which will help some with elbow grease. I'm sure some will chime in with a possible remedy.

I won't ride mine until I feel comfortable the salt is washed off the roads. Good luck with a warranty claim.Sorry it happened to you.

Last edited by oldmsocko; 02-14-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:53 PM
RoadGlideGary
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

get the tender for the battery. I had road pitts/grime/brake dust/dirt...on my rims. Used Triple Action Shout (the stuff for stain removal from clothers) and a damp soft cloth. Spray it on and let it sit. hose and repeat. use the cloth on the second/third cleaning. Mine looked like new afterwards. The TAS does not have teflon in it so it will not mess up your brakes either.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:36 PM
VaThumper
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Polish

I use Mothers Billit Allum Polish with one of those cone applicators on a drill and wipe them off with Micro-fiber cloths

Old 02-14-2011, 01:41 PM
O.F.
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use 0000 steel wool in combination with Mothers polish on my aluminum truck wheels. That and a lot of elbow grease will bring them back to new.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:41 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by VaThumper
I use Mothers Billit Allum Polish with one of those cone applicators on a drill and wipe them off with Micro-fiber cloths
Bingo works great! I have been using Mothers Power Metal.
The cone was a little pricey, But your wheels will look brand new.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:15 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

Dawg
check on the "other" forum ( wing)
do a search on polishing wheels...lots of info there, some from Fred...

Old 02-15-2011, 06:24 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Diesel-Dawg
I rode only one day and after a rain in NC. Did not realize it, but some of the road water must have had salt on it. Only my rear wheels are pitted on the rim areas...looks bad. Front wheel did not get any damage. I made the mistake of not washing the bike when I got it home. How do I get the original aluminum rims back to normal looks and how do I protect in future from happening?

I know one answer is not to ride this early, but was just trying to charge the battery. I am thinking about getting some very fine steel wool and wet sanding the aluminum...any advice is appreciated. I only have 600 miles on my 2011...is this a warranty item (I know....this is a stupid question)?
This rear wheel thing happened to mine also at about your mileage. Problem is no salt on the roads here in Florida. The bike was washed and trailered home by the dealer after the exhaust mods and cam install were done. At first it looked like the wheels were water spotted coming off the trailer.

First I washed them with soap and water, still looked the same. Next as others mentioned was aluminum polish and alot of elbow grease. There were stilll some spots that did not come out clean. Used Semichrome over those spots and they are better, but still not gone. Coated them after that with Blue Coral hoping for a little protection. They are nice and shiney now with the exception of those few small spots that would not come out.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:33 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ritual

The ol Drill and Buffer Wheels, aluminum polishing compound! It's a hassel and a spring ritual...only way to get the things brightened up and the dark spots out...Boring, hateful chore

Only way out of it, chrome wheels or wait until the come out with a painted steel wheel that will fit.

I would love to find some chrome reverse rims or even black painted rims with the baby moon hub caps!

Old 02-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

These are the ones I've been eyeballing...but just don't have the extra funds for them right now....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Quick Reply: Pitted rear wheels...guess it was from road brime