Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Parking brake adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Rob C
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking brake adjustment

Can anone tell me how to adjust the parking brake on a 2010 Triglide. Searched for old threads and found none! Do not have a service manual yet. It looks like it should be easy, but I can't figure it out and I don't want to break anything since it is the wifes trike!

Thanks,

Rob

Old 02-02-2011, 01:07 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Your best bet is to wait for a service manual because it is a little involved. The downside to keeping the parking brake adjusted is the back brake pads will wear out faster because when you adjust the parking brake you cause a slight amount of drag on the brake pads. I removed the parking brake on mine and my dads and we both carry a Velcro strap to hold pressure on the front brakes if we think we need it.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:14 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Even though the parking brake is a very good idea, MOCO engineered it poorly. I never used the parking brake and it is now removed.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:31 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 471 Likes on 289 Posts

My parking brake is still on the trike, but I never use it. I have found that leaving the trike in gear works fine. I may have to get a velcro strap, that sounds like a good back up idea

Old 02-02-2011, 11:32 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member

Originally Posted by bronxbill
My parking brake is still on the trike, but I never use it. I have found that leaving the trike in gear works fine. I may have to get a velcro strap, that sounds like a good back up idea

I have never really had to use the velcro strap but if I have to park on an incline I would certainly use it. Normally where I park is flat or very little incline.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:18 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

Also the small wheel chocks found in hardware/Lowes/Home Depot stores work great, take up very little room...just some FYI...

Old 02-02-2011, 01:57 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Best adjustment is to leave it alone or remove it. I have removed it on wifes TG. If you do remove it leave the lever and spring on at the calipers, the cables and handle can go. Also makes it easier to get at the belt adj. and pinch bolts with cables off.

Last edited by icebite1; 02-02-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:10 PM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by msocko3
Your best bet is to wait for a service manual because it is a little involved. The downside to keeping the parking brake adjusted is the back brake pads will wear out faster because when you adjust the parking brake you cause a slight amount of drag on the brake pads. I removed the parking brake on mine and my dads and we both carry a Velcro strap to hold pressure on the front brakes if we think we need it.
So true if you want to keep the p.b. Seems to me that the rear pads are not self-adjusting so you have to go the adjustment route anyway. But I've got to learn to stop using that p.b. As soon as my garage gets above freezing I'm pulling the rear wheels and do the procedure. I've still got good rear pad left.

Last edited by Boom; 02-02-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:35 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member

Originally Posted by Boom
So true if you want to keep the p.b. Seems to me that the rear pads are not self-adjusting so you have to go the adjustment route anyway. But I've got to learn to stop using that p.b. As soon as my garage gets above freezing I'm pulling the rear wheels and do the procedure. I've still got good rear pad left.
I didn't think it got cold in Virginia. Heck Boom, bring it on over, you can use my garage.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:21 PM
Rob C
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Guys,

Rob

Quick Reply: Parking brake adjustment