Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

HD 2011 MY Servise bulletin?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 06:03 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Buddy, ive been hit and miss here also lately.
Do you remember the thread you originally saw in the touring section about the drilling? I cant seem to search anything without it locking up.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:14 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by icebite1
Thanks Buddy, ive been hit and miss here also lately.
Do you remember the thread you originally saw in the touring section about the drilling? I cant seem to search anything without it locking up.
Ice,
Sorry, no I can't. I printed it out and took it to my dealer when they did the cam change. They thought it was a good idea, so did it while the rocker boxes were off. M3 has done his, so maybe he can help with instructions and the drill side. My service manager said it was easy and they didn't charge me for it. I have the new style breathers as mine is a 2011. They replaced them with new ones anyway. I have the old ones here with the rest of my stock takeoff parts. They are still clean as a whistle.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:57 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddy WMC
Ice,
Sorry, no I can't. I printed it out and took it to my dealer when they did the cam change. They thought it was a good idea, so did it while the rocker boxes were off. M3 has done his, so maybe he can help with instructions and the drill side. My service manager said it was easy and they didn't charge me for it. I have the new style breathers as mine is a 2011. They replaced them with new ones anyway. I have the old ones here with the rest of my stock takeoff parts. They are still clean as a whistle.
This will show where to drill and the bit size http://dohertymachine.com/pdf/mystfree-fl-owners.pdf I've heard you can go as big as 1/8 in without any issues. I stuck with the #43 bit size.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:08 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Mike, just what i was looking for.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:08 AM
Boom
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by msocko3
This will show where to drill and the bit size http://dohertymachine.com/pdf/mystfree-fl-owners.pdf I've heard you can go as big as 1/8 in without any issues. I stuck with the #43 bit size.
So did you mark your drill bit with tape and go in 1/8" deep on all four holes with the #43 bit? This looks like a fall/winter project where I can pull off the tank and rocker covers.
Mine has been blowing oil even in 70* air temps. Oil temp is usually 230*.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:46 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Boom
So did you mark your drill bit with tape and go in 1/8" deep on all four holes with the #43 bit? This looks like a fall/winter project where I can pull off the tank and rocker covers.
When he was talking about 1/8 in ( I've heard you can go as big as 1/8 in)he was referring to drill size not how far you drill in.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:43 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

I don't think I would want to drill them while still installed, would be concerned with getting metal chips in places I couldn't wash out. I did it while I had the rocker supports off. Strange your blowing oil, are you running a half QT low? If not, try running a half QT low. I don't get much of any oil blowing on the trike even last year running 80 - 85 mph for hours on end while traveling out west. I drilled the rocker supports on my 06 Ultra as a experiment without much concern because I'm pulling it apart again this coming winter to take it out to 120".

Old 05-16-2011, 06:20 AM
Boom
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by msocko3
I don't think I would want to drill them while still installed, would be concerned with getting metal chips in places I couldn't wash out. I did it while I had the rocker supports off. Strange your blowing oil, are you running a half QT low? If not, try running a half QT low. I don't get much of any oil blowing on the trike even last year running 80 - 85 mph for hours on end while traveling out west. I drilled the rocker supports on my 06 Ultra as a experiment without much concern because I'm pulling it apart again this coming winter to take it out to 120".
When I had my pulley installed, the dealer service fum ducs said my oil was low and could do harm so they topped it off. I mentioned blow-by and they said typical for this sealed engine.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:28 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

When I had my pulley installed, the dealer service fum ducs said my oil was low and could do harm so they topped it off. I mentioned blow-by and they said typical for this sealed engine.
Running a half qt low won't hurt it lot of folks been doing it for years to help out with this very problem, I've always run a qt low on all my bikes and my Triglide. If its doing it bad enough the dummies at your dealer should know its not normal. They all carry over some oil with some being worse than others, but if it is really putting it out their could be a problem behind it. You might have to contact HD customer service if you can't get any satisfaction from your dealer.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:47 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That is a typical response from the dealer. I have always run by bikes 1/2 qt low and never had any issues with blow by or anything else that could be related to low oil.