Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Want To See A Triglide Piston

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 01:04 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Want To See A Triglide Piston

Was cooking along installing the TW-555 cams in my dads Trike when I come across a parting gift from the service dept of the dealer we used to do business with, a stripped rocker support bolt hole. Looks like the parts changers stripped it when they thought the ACR's (Automatic Compression Release) were bad this past June and decided to replace them. Their fix was to use some sort of epoxy to hold it in, guess they didn't think I'd ever have it apart again. Had to run the head to a local machine shop and have a Heli Coil installed. Anyway for those who are curious I snapped a few pictures to share.

Shot of the combustion chamber, doesn't look to be running lean.

Shot of the top of the piston, bit of carbon build up from the breathers venting into the air cleaner.

The nuts you see in the above shot are cylinder sleeve hold downs. I use them to keep pressure on the cyl so the bottom o-ring doesn't get disturbed when I rotate the engine.

I don't know if it was some weird premonition or what came over me but when I ordered parts this fall I decided to get the ACR socket from HD. This is a shot of the ACR in the socket.

Here is a shot of the bottom of the ACR.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:26 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cylinder Lubrication

Does not look to be lean and I was wondering what kind of fuel management system your dad's Trike is using? Do you ever use an upper cylinder lubricant additive in your fuel. With the unleaded fuel of today I would like to find one that actually worked and was not just snake oil.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:49 PM
bullet 10
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a little head gasket leak around dail pins. Whats the white area around head in side gasket. You have a tuner right? Wonder what stock looks like. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:26 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Was this a stock cam motor?

Old 01-18-2011, 05:15 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by coupe55
Does not look to be lean and I was wondering what kind of fuel management system your dad's Trike is using? Do you ever use an upper cylinder lubricant additive in your fuel. With the unleaded fuel of today I would like to find one that actually worked and was not just snake oil.
He had been using the SEPST, it was also tuned on a Dyno this past July. Never used any upper cylinder lube, never gave it much thought.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:17 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by bullet 10
Looks like a little head gasket leak around dail pins. Whats the white area around head in side gasket. You have a tuner right? Wonder what stock looks like. Thanks for sharing this with us.
The oil you see on the dowel is what I spilled when removing the head. The white area is just shiny aluminum where I had started to clean before I took the picture. He used the SEPST for his tuner and it was tuned on a dyno.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:18 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by tbob
Was this a stock cam motor?
The cams that where in it was the SE255.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:44 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Lucus UCL

Originally Posted by msocko3
He had been using the SEPST, it was also tuned on a Dyno this past July. Never used any upper cylinder lube, never gave it much thought.
I run some old engines that required leaded fuel on unleaded gas and got some good results with it.

Has anyone else used the Lucus Upper Cylinder Lube. It is supposed to lube the injectors and fuel pump also. I got some added miles per gallon and the engines seemed to run smoother with it. Have never used in in an air cooled engine that runs at these higher temps. I was wondering if there would be any reason not to try it?

Old 01-19-2011, 06:38 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by coupe55
I run some old engines that required leaded fuel on unleaded gas and got some good results with it.

Has anyone else used the Lucus Upper Cylinder Lube. It is supposed to lube the injectors and fuel pump also. I got some added miles per gallon and the engines seemed to run smoother with it. Have never used in in an air cooled engine that runs at these higher temps. I was wondering if there would be any reason not to try it?
I'm assuming your talking about http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...el%20Treatment I don't see any mention of it being harmful to Oxygen sensors so I would assume it can be used with no problem in the Trike.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:14 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Thats the Stuff

Originally Posted by msocko3
I'm assuming your talking about http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...el%20Treatment I don't see any mention of it being harmful to Oxygen sensors so I would assume it can be used with no problem in the Trike.
I believe I got some extended engine life with the stuff, old high performance engine that never had the valve seats hardeded or had stainless valves put in, "lead fuel era engine". I could not find the lead substitute stuff for the unleaded fuel. My only concern was carbon deposits because the product is purely oil based. Was not a problem in the water cooled engine but with the higher temps we run with the air cooled engine it may be a problem. I was just wondering if any of the forum members ever used the Lucus UCL in their bikes or trikes.

We don't get much lubrication from leaded fuel and always thinking about how to get a little extended engine life.

How are the cylinder walls holding up did you pull it down off TDC and check the walls?

Quick Reply: Want To See A Triglide Piston