Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

TRI GLIDE honest opinion

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 09:21 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Nothing wrong with a converted bike either. After your add on bells and whistles the cost is about the same and the turning radius is better on a conversion.

Pro's and con's on both sides.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:52 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

I'm on my 3rd trike, 2 goldwings and now a 2010 TG...I love the TG but being honest, out of the box...the wing will out preform the Harley...hands down.
More power, smoother, less heat, but all are kit bikes...and warranty can be an issue...my local Honda dealer always took care of me, and to be truthful I never had any issues with the GW trike....but out on the road, warranty could have been an issue....that being said I bought the Harley because of the 2 year warranty..but if I make the necessary modifications to make the HD trike run better, cooler etc...well there goes the warranty...it's a crap shoot.
The major reason I changed from wing to HD was the sitting position and the driver foot placement. The wing has your feet directly under you and it killed my knees. I love the sitting position of forward floorboards, much more comfortable for me...and I'm making the payments....
I did look at the Victory Crossbow...but the small trunks turned me off....

As for the honest TG opinion;
It very good out of the box...yes heat is an issue, but it is on most touring Harley's. The 2011's have the 30T sprocket, which is a mod that 09's and 10's models need to make....if you want just a little more, a stage one, SE air cleaner and mufflers ( like on all the touring bikes) will help.
Now most here have went further...header pipe changes, air cleaner, mufflers and a EMC tuner....not extremely necessary but it sure wakes the TG up...

Bone stock, my wife and I road our to Billings MT and back..yeah it fell on it's face climbing some hills and fighting headwinds....but it made it there and back without any issues....and yes it got hot, but it was hot everywhere....I imagine everyone was hot....

I would not be afraid to buy a new TG....it's a fine machine...just my opinion

Last edited by Casper; 01-15-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:23 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Nothing wrong with a converted bike either. After your add on bells and whistles the cost is about the same and the turning radius is better on a conversion.

Pro's and con's on both sides.
I certainly agree with you my friend about nothing being wrong with conversions but costing the same, I don't think so. It all depends on what kit you have installed and what the installer charges.

I had priced out a DFT kit with Easy Steer and the cost to me installed was going to be 18,000 with out reverse. I was able to sell my 06 Ultra and purchase the TG with reverse with all the bling I had on my 06 and still have some change in my pocket.

A person just needs to do some homework and know what they want. There had been times I really regreted not doing the conversion but at this present time I am very happy with my TG. Of course with the mods I have done my warrenty is for the most part out the window which I don't really care about.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:01 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheJimer
It’s a great bike once you get done doing the $3,000 of mods to cool it down and make it perform the way it should have out of the box!

As someone mentioned, there are a lot of post in this section, both pro and con. You will notice that some people state that they are happy with the stock TG; however, you will also notice that the majority of owners on these boards invested a lot of buck to fix the TG’s short comings. Read between the lines, that has to tell you something.

For me, it’s a love/hate relationship. I hated it stock out of the box (didn’t get to do a test ride); now that I have done the necessary mods, I love it. It doesn’t get any more honest than that!

Good luck!

Jim
I have to agree with what Jimmer has stated. In my case age and disability issues made the decision to buy the trike a no brainer. Even though expensive, we wanted to keep riding and now do so with more comfort. Plan to spend an extra $3000.00 to do the mods that the other members of this board have done. I'm waiting for the weather to get a bit warmer before I have the work done. On the negative side, my trike has been at the dealer a total of five weeks. The first three to repaint the entire rear end due to orange peel and the second two to correct the rear alignment.

The only real advice I can add it thouroughly check over the bike you intend to purchase for cosmetic defects, fender heights and test ride it if possible. Overall we are not disappointed with our purchase and enjoy riding the Tri. Looking forward now to the upgrades to cool her down and give us a bit more power.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:25 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
I certainly agree with you my friend about nothing being wrong with conversions but costing the same, I don't think so. It all depends on what kit you have installed and what the installer charges.

I had priced out a DFT kit with Easy Steer and the cost to me installed was going to be 18,000 with out reverse. I was able to sell my 06 Ultra and purchase the TG with reverse with all the bling I had on my 06 and still have some change in my pocket.

A person just needs to do some homework and know what they want. There had been times I really regreted not doing the conversion but at this present time I am very happy with my TG. Of course with the mods I have done my warrenty is for the most part out the window which I don't really care about.

A few things to consider.

The actual value of the bike being converted.
The cost of the conversion.

If you take a brand new bike and convert it... your end cost will be way over the top. But, if you take a three or more year older bike then the value of that bike is greatly reduced and you have already completed most of your bling and motor upgrades.

While some think converting a bike is very costly especially if you have a shop do it, well that can be true. However, you can get a Champion kit installed by a conversion dealer for less than $9000.00. The price will go up as you add rake or reverse.

My total Motor Trike conversion was 15K and a dealer installed it (not worth a **** mind you) but it cost me more that way with all the bells and whistles including on board air and better rear bumper. (the bumper was 800.00 by itself) So. If my POSE was worth 20K private party resale and add 15K for the conversion.... 35K.

Yes... it is very wise to do your homework. Let's not forget the gearing issue as well that conversions also face. I took my time converting the POSE to what it needed before I converted it to a trike.

For those reading this thinking about a conversion.. My biggest mistake?? True Duals. Don't do it on a trike!!

Old 01-16-2011, 09:07 AM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2010 Tri Glide with no engine mods. My wife won't even get on the EG any more. She is more comfortable on the trike. No heat issues with it, and it runs like a scalded ape even with the two of us on it. It has become my favorite as well.

Attached Thumbnails TRI GLIDE honest opinion-bikes.jpg  
Old 01-16-2011, 09:10 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Any one Ive ever bought has had the HD Tax added. The Motor company loves loyal
buyers. Thanks and keep those dollars comming.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:56 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 478 Likes on 291 Posts

I have a 2011, I'm very happy with it. Since it is an '11 it already has the 30 tooth gear. I did spend just over $1300 to change the headpipe, mufflers and air cleaner and add a PCV. I have done that to just about every bike I've owned since fuel injection so I don't consider that a Tri Glide cost. I think I made the right decision.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:08 AM
ssw
Cruiser

I too have an UC, at least until this coming Saturday when I will be taking delivery of a 2011 Vivid Black TG. I have read all the posts positive and negative. A lot of peace of mind for me and my wife as result of this decision. She's already talking about how to pack it for our trips. Can't give you any real feedback at this point but the freedom and stability that a trike will provide us was the key decision making point. We love Harleys with all their good and bad habits, so a TRI GLIDE was the choice for us. Good luck with your decision.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:29 AM
hotshoe
Cruiser

As others have said, get ready to spend some money on the things that "you" feel need to be changed or improved. The trike does do a good job overall but you end up tailoring it to you just the same as you would do with a two wheeler. Concerning the warranty; that was a big factor in my decision. If you haven't been tagged by a dealer for your mods and are in store for future warranty claims you might be OK. At least a Harley dealer should be able to get the stock parts you might need for on the road repairs. That likely won't happen on a conversion of a H-D or Honda or many other brands. If Honda built their own trike that's what I would be riding but they don't. I believe Honda bikes are better engineered than Harleys and they don't usually experiment on the customer.
Do I regret buying the TriGlide? No, it serves it's purpose for me. Will I consider another TriGlide? I'm not sure at this time and I don't know what may be available in the future.
Read all the information you can on this forum and others as well as ask questions of other TriGlide owners when you can.

Good luck and ride something regardless of what brand it is because riding is what it's all about.

Quick Reply: TRI GLIDE honest opinion