Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

TRI GLIDE honest opinion

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 01:40 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BinIdaho
The '09 TG goes in for new front tire and oil change first of March. One of the posters mentioned Redline Shockproof transmission fluid...is this something the dealer stocks, or do they just use Syn3?

Would changing to the 30T sprocket help, or just 'spinning my wheels' w/added cost?

I have no issues with heat or power....

Thanks.
Barbra, some dealers may stock Redline Shockproof but I suspect most do not. You may have to bring your own at time of service.

If you’re satisfied with the off-line and 6th gear performance of your TG; why make the change. Personally I’m waiting to hear some reports from some of the guys that made the 30T switch.

Jim

Old 02-01-2011, 04:39 PM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T K Glider
B i use red line it helps.30t under $250 is good.
Tk, you say we can get a 30T for under 250???? Also, if I put in 255 cams, do I need to change my Fuel Management system which is PCV?

Old 02-01-2011, 10:31 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by TheJimer
Barbra, some dealers may stock Redline Shockproof but I suspect most do not. You may have to bring your own at time of service.

If you’re satisfied with the off-line and 6th gear performance of your TG; why make the change. Personally I’m waiting to hear some reports from some of the guys that made the 30T switch.

Jim
Jim,

Picked up Redline at Cycle Addiction (Nampa)...date at HD dealer for front tire/15K service set for 3/2. Not doing the 30T sprocket...

B

Old 02-01-2011, 10:36 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhorsepilot
Tk, you say we can get a 30T for under 250???? Also, if I put in 255 cams, do I need to change my Fuel Management system which is PCV?
What are you doing now...Been a long winter I see. lol

Old 02-02-2011, 01:00 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

If you purchased your PCV from Fuelmoto Jamie should be able to hook you up with a new map for the 255 cams.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:11 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Joan, I doubt that you can get a 30T installed for $250.

You do not need to buy a new PC-V when you install your cams.It’s just a matter of downloading a new map.

Jim

Old 02-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior

Hey All,
You might want to look into Mobil One LT 75-140 gear oil for your transmissions. Mobil One also offer LT 75-90 that is a bit less expensive for colder climates. It's available at your local Autozone. Been using it for years even in my 93 FXLR with the Baker DD6. Great stuff and we use the 75-140 due to the hotter ambient temps down here.

It's going into my Tri at the first service along with the Redline 20-50 Oil in the engine. Due to the SE comp fretting issue, I'll use HD Primary + instead of MTL as planned. This is partially due to the results on the inspections of M1 and M3's compensators. I also have to order a case of Redline 20-60 as our distributor does not carry it.

Although my boss sells the Redline products, we gotta charge a bit extra whenever doing a trans job as the Redline is very messy, is extremely hard to clean up and will hold water. Just my opinion changing seals and gaskets, so take it FWIW.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:40 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Buddy, as long as you are using RedLine motor oil why dont you try some RedLine Pepto Bismol (Heavy shockproof) in the trans.? I know its hard to try something other than what you like but im pretty impressed with it, what the heck , all one brand in all the holes ( they make a primary oil also).

Old 02-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Boom
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by icebite1
Hey Buddy, as long as you are using RedLine motor oil why dont you try some RedLine Pepto Bismol (Heavy shockproof) in the trans.? I know its hard to try something other than what you like but im pretty impressed with it, what the heck , all one brand in all the holes ( they make a primary oil also).
I agree. I always use Redline Shockproof in the tranny. This is what they say about viscosity: Film thickness greater than an SAE 75W250, yet low fluid friction like 75W90.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:34 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by icebite1
I'm not saying that it's a bad product. Many folks use it and like the performance. I'm loooking at it in a technical way, it's an absolute mess to clean up. If you ever have to pull your trap door you'll see what I mean. Same thing with the MTL it is an excellent primary oil, I used it and ATF with the extra plate Energy One clutch in the FXLR. The clutch liked the B&M ATF better.

There are several threads going on in the Touring and I think the CVO sections about "fretting" or many would call it galling on the SE compensator that our trikes use. Owners of earlier model bikes have also be retro fitting to the SE parts. The consensus seems to be more of a problem with this when using thinner oils in the primary. When M1 and M3's were checked, Mike said they looked good one bike at 10K, the other much over that. He has been using nothing but HD Primary +. Just trying to get my ducks in a row and use products that have proven themselves.

Quick Reply: TRI GLIDE honest opinion