Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Pulling a trailer with 2011 TG

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Diesel-Dawg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling a trailer with 2011 TG

after hearing much discussion on this forum about voiding the warranty if you add a trailer hitch or pull a trailer, I read all of the HD warranties in the book this week and could not find anything that says you void the warranty if you pull a trailer or install a hitch. Can someone show me why others believe it to be an issue with HD MOCO?

Old 12-11-2010, 05:39 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

Dealerships and service managers.....they will flag you bike for future warranty issues....you may win in the end but it'll be a uphill battle all the way...I don't understand it either, but that's was it is.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:48 PM
Sarge7882
Intermediate

The only thing I can find about pulling trailers with the Tri Glide is on page 6 of the 2011 manual. It states...

Do not pull a trailer with a motorcycle. Pulling a trailer can cause tire overload, reduced braking efficiency and adversely affect stability and handling, which could result in death or serious injury. (00018b)

It doesn't mention anything about warranty.

BUT, then on page 218 it says, "This limited warranty will not apply to any motorcycle/sidecar as follows: Which has not been operated or maintained as specified in the Owner's Manual."

I believe if a dealer wanted to, they could deny a possible warranty issue if you pull a trailer based on those 2 statements. Guess it would be up to the dealer at that time. Personally, I am not taking any chances even though I would really like to have one. I will definitely wait until my warranty is gone.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:44 PM
bullet 10
Tourer

5000 mile service yesterday 214.00 just wonder if price is normal? I ask service department about trailer hitch beens I already have one installed. Service dept said they understood from MOCO you could have a hitch but couldn't pull a trailer, go figure.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:16 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 5000 Mile Service

Originally Posted by bullet 10
5000 mile service yesterday 214.00 just wonder if price is normal? I ask service department about trailer hitch beens I already have one installed. Service dept said they understood from MOCO you could have a hitch but couldn't pull a trailer, go figure.
I just paid about $208 but a good portion of it went toward adjusting the damn parking brake! If I had thought I could have told them to leave the usless contraption alone. I am not going to put it back when I do the 30T primary pulley change anyway.

I believe a hitch should be mounted you can remove quickly! On the road and dealer to dealer the Harley warranty is as slippery as a greased Pig! A greased pig warranty on your HOG if you will!

On the upside I bet that 30T primary gear on the 11 will be better suited for towing a trailer.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:49 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Everyone has their own opinion whether it will void their warranty. If you are worried about voiding your warranty you should not pull one. I'm not sure you can get a straight answer from any HD dealer. If your pulling a trailer and have a problem with your transmission I would almost bet they wouldn't warranty the repair.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:53 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Casper
Dealerships and service managers.....they will flag you bike for future warranty issues....you may win in the end but it'll be a uphill battle all the way...I don't understand it either, but that's was it is.
I believe that Casper is correct. MOCO won’t necessarily void your warranty because you have a trailer hitch. But if a dealer flags your hitch, it may come back to bite you, should you at a future date have a transmission complaint, suspension complaint or a bug on your windshield etc. etc.etc!
Jim

Last edited by TheJimer; 12-11-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:58 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bullet 10
Some folks use a trailer hitch as a parade flag mount.

Jim

Old 12-11-2010, 08:00 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
Everyone has their own opinion whether it will void their warranty. If you are worried about voiding your warranty you should not pull one. I'm not sure you can get a straight answer from any HD dealer. If your pulling a trailer and have a problem with your transmission I would almost bet they wouldn't warranty the repair.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:44 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

One of the reasons I went with the MCHitch for the TG..four bolts and it's off or on...very easy. And with the "jumper" plug the goes between the rear light connection, the wiring is also a snap to remove...better safe than sorry...
Then again, with the modifications ( heat) I'm going to make my warranty may be a moot point....

Quick Reply: Pulling a trailer with 2011 TG