Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

E-Brake Handle

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 02:18 PM
TXSTGLIDE
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Brake Handle

So my dad bought an '11 Tri Glide. Has anyone got a suggestion for the emergency brake handle that hits the passenger floor board when it is in the down postion? A new bike that has the paint gone from the brake handle and the floor board. Seems as though this was an after-thought by the MOCO.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:22 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Take it off

Originally Posted by TXSTGLIDE
So my dad bought an '11 Tri Glide. Has anyone got a suggestion for the emergency brake handle that hits the passenger floor board when it is in the down postion? A new bike that has the paint gone from the brake handle and the floor board. Seems as though this was an after-thought by the MOCO.
It won't work long anyway, leave the springs on the caliper and jerk the thing off. Get you a velcro strap for the front brake!

Old 12-03-2010, 03:05 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TXSTGLIDE
I leave the transmission in gear when I park to avoid using the emergency brake. It’s a poor design and I don’t trust it.

Jim

Old 12-03-2010, 04:26 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It seems to be the general consensus here that it is junk, mine included. Remove it and the cables that go to the calipers. Leave the actuator arm and spring that holdes it in place on the calipers

Old 12-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a service tech posted here some time ago that the TG rear brakes should be adjusted about every 2400 miles. My dealer quoted me labor of 150 bucks for the procedure! I don't have that kind of money! I can run up 2400 miles in no time. I'll be adjusting the rears on my own until the warranty runs out. Then I'll consider an alternative solution.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:47 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The parking brake is now removed from M3's TG and will shortly be removed from mine. It is basically useless. My parking brake has never been adjusted and I have 20,000 miles on my TG. The rear braking is fine. The parking brake is useless so I never give it any thought.

I will apply my front brakes with a Velcro strap if I feel the need of extra braking when I park.

Last edited by oldmsocko; 12-04-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:20 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't use mine. I don't trust it. I leave it in 1st gear when parked. I chock the wheels when I warm it up in the cold weather.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:12 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Boom
I think a service tech posted here some time ago that the TG rear brakes should be adjusted about every 2400 miles. My dealer quoted me labor of 150 bucks for the procedure! I don't have that kind of money! I can run up 2400 miles in no time. I'll be adjusting the rears on my own until the warranty runs out. Then I'll consider an alternative solution.
Wow they must be doing some good recreational drugs, $150 to adjust the parking brake which is about a 15 minute job. Harley did a **** poor job at designing the parking brake, it will never stay in adjustment.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:08 AM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
Wow they must be doing some good recreational drugs, $150 to adjust the parking brake which is about a 15 minute job. Harley did a **** poor job at designing the parking brake, it will never stay in adjustment.
I agree Mike. If your sole job at a H-D dealership was adjusting parking brakes…you would have life time job security.

Jim

Old 12-04-2010, 04:09 PM
TXSTGLIDE
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys. How difficult can it possibly be to make a parking brake that works?

Quick Reply: E-Brake Handle