Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

H-d bs...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 05:46 PM
ErieBigDawg
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H-d bs...

Here is a copy of an email conversation I have been having.

It starts here...

=========================================

To: jamie@fuelmotousa.com
Sent: Fri, November 19, 2010 7:11:15 PM
Subject: 2010 Tri-Glide Trike...

Jamie,
What is the delivered cost for the complete package for the 2010 Tri-Glide Trike?
To include: Jackpot 2/1/2 head pipe
Dynojet PC-V w/your specific map
FM Stage 1 Air Cleaner
Jackpot Dyno Tuned mufflers
ALSO, what is the approx. time needed to install all these items on the trike, by a trained technician?

Dave Martin
www.ErieBlueKnights.com
814-882-XXXX

==================================

Hello, the Jackpot 2/1/2, Jackpot Dyno Tuned mufflers, FM Stage 1 air cleaner, and PC-V would run $1168.00 + free shipping. We can program the PC for you no problem, I would expect approx 2.5 Hrs for the install.

Thank you.........Jamie

Fuel Moto
2215 Kelbe Dr
Little Chute, WI 54140
Toll Free Sales/Tech 1-877-729-4754
Specializing in EFI tuning and Exhaust components
Fuel Moto websites: www.fuelmotousa.com www.jackpotmufflers.com

=========================================

To: <david@hderie.com>
Subject: Quote Requested...
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 23:38:02 -0500

David,

I would like to know the cost for one of your trained Harley technicians to install the following:

Jackpot 2/1/2 Header Pipes, Jackpot Dyno Tuned Mufflers, FM Stage 1 Air Cleaner, and PC-V Tuner.

How may hours for labor, etc?

Thanks for your time!

Dave Martin
www.ErieBlueKnights.com
2010 Tri-Glide Trike

==============================

Dear Dave,

The cost for installation only is 6 hours at $62.00 per hour, plus tax.

I must warn you that the installation of the Power Commander module will void your Harley Davidson warranty. We recommend that you consider using the H-D Race tuner which will give you the same results but will not void your warranty. With a complete exhaust, air intake, and a race tuner - it is also recommended that you have the motorcycle dyno tuned. We are unaware of any local shops that have an available dyno that can accept a trike at this time.

Respectfully,

David J. Ritter
Parts & Accessories
Harley Davidson of Erie
Tel: 814-838-1356
Fx: 814-833-7603

=============================

They are simply misleading you with inaccurate information as they cannot simply void your warranty for adding or replacing a non OEM part, however if this part causes a failure it would obviously not be covered. I would recommend having the individual from the dealer read you the label on the Screamin Eagle Tuner which in big bold letters reads "Warranty Implications Apply with this product" "For Race use only" "SE products may not be used on public roads" "installation will reduce or void your warranty" This is right on the package and you again agree to these terms when you install the software.

He is simply using a sales tactic. If you would like any additional information just let me know.

Thank you.........Jamie

Fuel Moto
2215 Kelbe Dr
Little Chute, WI 54140
Toll Free Sales/Tech 1-877-729-4754
Specializing in EFI tuning and Exhaust components
Fuel Moto websites: www.fuelmotousa.com www.jackpotmufflers.com

===============================

Dear David,

FYI...here is the law governing aftermarket parts:

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)

The Law
Federal law sets forth requirements for warranties and contains a number of
provisions to prevent vehicle manufacturers, dealers and others from
unjustly denying warranty coverage. With regard to aftermarket parts, the
spirit of the law is that warranty coverage cannot be denied simply because
such parts are present on the vehicle, or have been used. The warranty
coverage can be denied only if the aftermarket part caused the malfunction
or damage for which warranty coverage is sought. Disputes in this area
usually boil down to arguments over facts and technical opinions, rather
than arguments over interpretations of the law.

Dave Martin
www.ErieBlueKnights.com

==================================

THANKS JAMIE FOR ALL YOUR HELP !!

Old 11-24-2010, 07:54 PM
bronxbill
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 478 Likes on 291 Posts

Just FYI, it took my Indy just under 3 hrs to complete the install of head pipe, air cleaner, PCV and mufflers. No way it should take 6 hrs, I could do it faster than that myself.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:39 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by ErieBigDawg
Here is a copy of an email conversation I have been having.
Wow..... No way should it take 6 hours to do that job, if it does they should fire the mechanic because he is slow, their just bending you over the barrel and trying to slip it to you. I had the complete exhaust off mine in about 20 minutes. Do your self a favor and run as fast and as far away from that dealer as you can get. Sometime when you get free time you might want to take a drive down to Street Track N Trail and see Randy Hull who is the service manager tell him the Socko's sent you, the man is much easier to deal with. He can quote you a time on how long it will take to do the job and if they do the job in less time you will only pay the rate for their actual time worked. My dad had them swap out his handle bars and Randy quoted him a labor rate and said if it took longer he only had to pay the quoted rate and if it was done in less time he would only have to pay for the time it took them. They did the job in less time than the quoted rate and my dad paid for their actual time worked.

I have a minor quirk, I like to have a dealer look my bike or trike over once a year just to make sure I didn't miss something. The last time I had my 06 Ultra to Erie for a 20,000 mile checkup with no fluid change (I changed my own fluids.) they charged me 1.5 hours labor $93.00, I took my Triglide to STNT for the 10,000 mile service (No Fluids) and they charged me for the actual time they had in it, .9 hours $39.00.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:45 PM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Nothing surprises me. I can name a Colorado Stealership that wanted 4-hours labor to replace a rear tire. Fortunately....the Honda shop across the street put a tire on the rear of this Ultraclassic in about an hour.

Unfortunately....I could not get to my wife soon enough to get her out of this particular stealership before she had already purchased a $62 shirt made in China.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:32 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately the dealer Big Dawg is dealing with likes to rip you off in labor hours and that is the only thing they are good at. Their master technicians are only master part changers lead by an incompetent service manager IMHO.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:17 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Competition

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
Unfortunately the dealer Big Dawg is dealing with likes to rip you off in labor hours and that is the only thing they are good at. Their master technicians are only master part changers lead by an incompetent service manager IMHO.
This is where the honest Indy eat's their lunch and finding a good one is like having a good family doctor. You find one that will warranty his work and not **** you on the labor take care of him.

HD Dealerships are the best advertising they got, most good ones don't even have to list their business in the phone book. Word of mouth and their rep on the street keeps it rolling through the door.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:03 PM
ErieBigDawg
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So True...

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
their master technicians are only master part changers lead by an incompetent service manager imho.

bingo !!

Old 11-26-2010, 12:34 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by ErieBigDawg
bingo !!
You would be amazed..... On second thought maybe not, how much they have raised their rates. Since 2005 they have more than doubled. My dad looked back at what he had done to his 06 Ultra when he took delivery vs his 09 Triglide and the labor hours charged was more than double for less stuff installed. A dealer can't keep dipping into that well forever because sooner or later it will go dry.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:24 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need More Competition

Originally Posted by msocko3
You would be amazed..... On second thought maybe not, how much they have raised their rates. Since 2005 they have more than doubled. My dad looked back at what he had done to his 06 Ultra when he took delivery vs his 09 Triglide and the labor hours charged was more than double for less stuff installed. A dealer can't keep dipping into that well forever because sooner or later it will go dry.
I agree, especially in todays tough economy! The price of thier bikes are killing them and it looks like they intend to make up the difference in the service department. Like I said, golden opportunity for independents right now. All I would take one to a dealer for is warranty work and since they won't honor the warranty in a lot of situations, an indy with reasonable rates is still the best solution.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:02 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I took my 2011 Tri to the dealer here on Tuesday for the factory rep to inspect yesterday. The Vivid Black paint on my rear box and fenders is quite orange peeled. There is also stong evidence that it was repainted at the factory as the frame mounts are Merlot in color. After hearing nothing for most of the day, I called the service manager about 3pm. He was very non comittal and offered no opinion as he was just being the "middle man". It should be noted that I did not purchase the bike from this dealer, but the MoCo wanted to inspect it there to save me a 40 mile trip to my selling dealer.

I then asked the service manager what the factory inspector had determined. I was told the he was not very pleased with what he had seen and had taken photos to send to the MoCo. The plan is to send the parts out to a local custom painter that is well respected here and to have them refinished. I'm supposed to find out today if the inspector got the approval from the MoCo to do the work and/or, if they are going to keep the Tri until it has been refinished. I may be able to pick her up today and return at a later date once arrangements have been made. I'll keep everyone posted.

Quick Reply: H-d bs...