Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

H-d bs...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 08:15 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Frame

Originally Posted by Buddy WMC
Dealer called yesterday morning and told us our Tri was ready to be picked up. Went down yesterday afternoon and the custom painter did a bang up job on the rear end repaint. The tech that reinstalled the parts even realigned the left muffler that was off to the left from the factory. He also must have been very careful during the reinstallation as there were no chips or scratches in the new paint. Service Manager provided us with an invoice with everything at N/C under warranty and they even installed a new trunk seal.

Got into our garage (the floor is not level), and noticed one fender was lower than the other. We did not notice that before the rear end was disassembled for the paint work. The box is square to the frame. Anyone know if I can readjust that fender myself without having to take the bike back? So far other than the PITA downtime, I was treated with alot of courtesy by this dealer who was not my selling dealer.

Maybe there is some hope yet as all this work was approved by HD Customer Service and I'm sure the repaint was not cheap.
Buddy I would find me a level surface and take some measurements, there have been some 11 Tri's produced with twisted/misaligned frames. Probably not your problem since it has been to body and paint and the dealer has been looking at it. I did not kinow there was that much adjusment on the fenders, just a simi-circle bolt pattern and did not notice if they were oblong holes with some room for adjustment. I don't have a manual but someone that does may post.

Misaligned mufflers, fender out of adjustment, bad paint job, quality control must have went to hell since they moved the Tri Production to the York Plant. Bad enough you have to spend another couple thousand over list price to make them run and cool them off, there is no excuse for these kind of problems on a $30,000 plus product!

Last edited by coupe55; 12-18-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:50 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had removed fenders off a 2009 Tri-Glide. There isnt much if any adjustment to them along the body. However,... while I was working on one here. i did mention this in the trike section before. That the fenders were mounted with painted surface against, painted surface. Ive been a painter a long time and that's a bad policy to mount painted fiberglass pieces together. There's too much flex and vibration happening there. I recommend going to the JC Whitney site and in the older VW section. To purchase the inexpensive FENDER WELT that is placed between the fender and the body.

FENDER WELT Product Number: 18776G

When this welt is inserted between the fender and the body. There's a small ( piping ) part of the welt that lays and shows between the fender and where the body meets. This I found to be perfect. It keeps small stones or tiny gravel from accumulating between the two surfaces. Without the welt. It's almost impossible to get the tiny gravel out from being trapped in that crevice. Im sure you can use a garden hose to wash the grit out of there. But I find preventative maintenance works best for the long run. the welt comes in different colors.

zoood

Old 12-19-2010, 11:20 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zoood
I had removed fenders off a 2009 Tri-Glide. There isnt much if any adjustment to them along the body. However,... while I was working on one here. i did mention this in the trike section before. That the fenders were mounted with painted surface against, painted surface. Ive been a painter a long time and that's a bad policy to mount painted fiberglass pieces together. There's too much flex and vibration happening there. I recommend going to the JC Whitney site and in the older VW section. To purchase the inexpensive FENDER WELT that is placed between the fender and the body.

FENDER WELT Product Number: 18776G

When this welt is inserted between the fender and the body. There's a small ( piping ) part of the welt that lays and shows between the fender and where the body meets. This I found to be perfect. It keeps small stones or tiny gravel from accumulating between the two surfaces. Without the welt. It's almost impossible to get the tiny gravel out from being trapped in that crevice. Im sure you can use a garden hose to wash the grit out of there. But I find preventative maintenance works best for the long run. the welt comes in different colors.

zoood
The '10 trike parts book shows foam strips for the fender to body contact. Wonder if all '09s didnt have foam? When i reassembled wifes fenders to body after painting i added enough foam to cover full radius of mount area. I agree with Zood on the addition of more tape.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:38 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by icebite1
The '10 trike parts book shows foam strips for the fender to body contact. Wonder if all '09s didnt have foam? When i reassembled wifes fenders to body after painting i added enough foam to cover full radius of mount area. I agree with Zood on the addition of more tape.
On the 09 I worked on. It did have a little piece of very thin foam between the fender and body. But not the full length. That fender welt I pointed out. With the pipping edge on it. That helps even more. When I looked at this guys 09. I saw sand pebbles in the crease between the fender and body and one couldnt remove em with your finger. very hard to get at and with them in there and the flex or vibration of the two surfaces. Scratches were lookin to happen.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:40 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zoood
On the 09 I worked on. It did have a little piece of very thin foam between the fender and body. But not the full length. That fender welt I pointed out. With the pipping edge on it. That helps even more. When I looked at this guys 09. I saw sand pebbles in the crease between the fender and body and one couldnt remove em with your finger. very hard to get at and with them in there and the flex or vibration of the two surfaces. Scratches were lookin to happen.
On my 09 where the fenders meet the body it is full of small bits of sand. And you are right, can't remove them.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:51 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
On my 09 where the fenders meet the body it is full of small bits of sand. And you are right, can't remove them.
Blowing sand is a big problem here in the desert. I’ve use an air gun and it gets the big pieces out but seems to just further imbed the fine pieces between the fender and body.

Jim

Old 12-19-2010, 03:25 PM
zoood
Former Sponsor

You guys should really look into getting the Fender Welt
If you had ever looked at the old style VW Bugs. Where their fender meets the body. That's where the welt material I'm talking about is. It will stop the sand grains from accumulating in there. It sticks out from between the 2 surfaces by an 1/8 inch. That's it. It comes in different colors -

Roll costs around $17.00

zoood

Old 12-20-2010, 08:55 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coupe55
Buddy I would find me a level surface and take some measurements, there have been some 11 Tri's produced with twisted/misaligned frames. Probably not your problem since it has been to body and paint and the dealer has been looking at it. I did not kinow there was that much adjusment on the fenders, just a simi-circle bolt pattern and did not notice if they were oblong holes with some room for adjustment. I don't have a manual but someone that does may post.

Misaligned mufflers, fender out of adjustment, bad paint job, quality control must have went to hell since they moved the Tri Production to the York Plant. Bad enough you have to spend another couple thousand over list price to make them run and cool them off, there is no excuse for these kind of problems on a $30,000 plus product!
Coupe,
I absolutely agree with your post. Wifey helped me measure the rear end yesterday. To be fair the fender alignment seemed to be fine before the dealer removed the parts for the repaint. The left is now 9 3/4" and the right is 10 1/2". Just got off the phone with the dealer and they want it back after the first of the year.

Apparently HD tech services is closed over the holidays. The technician that did the R&R wants access to the factory tech experts when I bring the bike back in. They are going to double check the alignment and the frame as well. I was told that there is some adjustment available and that they will take care of the problem. So, we'll wait and see.

Last edited by Buddy WMC; 12-21-2010 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:06 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Customer satisfaction

Originally Posted by Buddy WMC
Coupe,
I absolutely agrre with your post. Wifey helped me measure the rear end yesterday. To be fair the fender alignment seemed to be fine before the dealer removed the parts for the repaint. The left is now 9 3/4" and the right is 10 1/2". Just got off the phone with the dealer and they want it back after the first of the year.

Apparently HD tech services is closed over the holidays. The technician that did the R&R wants access to the factory tech experts when I bring the bike back in. They are going to double check the alignment and the frame as well. I was told that there is some adjustment available and that they will take care of the problem. So, we'll wait and see.
It just has to be frustrating, dealing with all these nickle and dime problems that should have been caught and fixed before the Trike was ever sent to the dealer. When you buy a high end Harley one would thing you would be able to just enjoy it for a few years before you have to start working on stuff like this.

This is terrible word of mouth advertising for HD, they would garner a lot more good advertising if they would just tighten up on the QC.

Good luck with the Tri, I hope you get all the bugs worked out before riding season.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:09 PM
bronxbill
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 478 Likes on 291 Posts

The problem is that Buddy is in FL where its always riding season. He has had more than his share of problems.

Quick Reply: H-d bs...