Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Transmission Sprocket Change Begins

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 05:58 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by 1550vt
I want somebody to check the "play" in the clutch basket after they torque the hub nut down and before they install the outer cover. I have been lead to believe that most of them will have some fore-n-aft play (wobble). Mine has a bit and I have 45,000 miles on it and nothing has exploded....yet. Some tech. on some other forum reported that 9 out of 10 would have this "play" and it was nothing to be concerned about, but I had never noticed it on any other clutch that I had apart...or at least did not try and see if they had any.Anybody???
I remembered to check the play, I didn't have any in mine. I couldn't get any movement out of it and I was shaking the whole lift when I was trying.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:03 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

It's finally finished.

Got the chain tensioner installed, decided to stick with the HD tensioner because of mixed reviews on the wedge.

All buttoned up and fresh Formula+ added.

Last edited by msocko3; 11-09-2015 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Fixed broken links
Old 12-02-2010, 06:24 AM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

It seemed pretty screwy to me, but I noticed some slight play in mine. I took my hub off and stuck it on two other tranny main shafts and it felt the same on all three. I became so concerned that I "went looking" and found a long thread on another forum started by some guy that had the perceived problem and had even purchased a new hub and still had this fore-aft play (wobble). I think he had even posted a video on you tube? The only thing it could be is a sloppy fit between the hub and transmission main shaft splines...or a defective hub bearing. Some folks think the hub tightens-up against the pressed-on inner primary race, but that is not the case. The hub tightens-up against the boss at the end of the threads on the main shaft. Anyway...this thread went on-and-on about it and some tech. chimed-in and swore that it was typical and he found it to be the case on most of the ones he went into, be it EVO or TC. He went on to say that some tech's actually applied lock tite over the splines to tighten this up. I was just curious to know if anybody else had noticed it.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:22 AM
oldrocker
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSS Calibration on the TTS for the 30T

I'm about to do the 30T change on my wife's trike. I am wondering what you ended up with for the TTS calibration number for the VSS to dial the speedo back in?

Thanks and excellent write up by the way!

Bob

Old 01-19-2011, 09:55 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by oldrocker
I'm about to do the 30T change on my wife's trike. I am wondering what you ended up with for the TTS calibration number for the VSS to dial the speedo back in?

Thanks and excellent write up by the way!

Bob
I'll have to consult my notes which are at my dads garage right now. I think I'm close, will get the final tweaks if needed once I can ride it with the GPS to give me its calculated speed.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:31 PM
oldrocker
1st Gear
Default GPS is great for the fine tune

I just wondered what your calculated VSS number was to get it in the ball park. She has a GPS so if I can get it close enough, I should be able to dial it in. It's going to be a few months before we can ride here. Overnight lows in the Chicago area are going below the goose egg. Thanks agin for the detailed write up!!

Bob

Old 01-19-2011, 03:41 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

I just wondered what your calculated VSS number was to get it in the ball park. She has a GPS so if I can get it close enough, I should be able to dial it in. It's going to be a few months before we can ride here. Overnight lows in the Chicago area are going below the goose egg. Thanks agin for the detailed write up!!

Bob
My calculated number is 2345.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:30 AM
oldrocker
1st Gear
Default Thanks

Your number checks close to what I came up with which is 2346 but naturally that is going to differ between rides with tire wear etc. Great info!

Old 01-21-2011, 01:00 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Your number checks close to what I came up with which is 2346 but naturally that is going to differ between rides with tire wear etc. Great info!
Good to see we arived at a pretty close number.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:49 PM
bullet 10
Tourer

msocko3 Was that a SE COMPENSATOR , if so was it standard in all Triglides? Thanks TOM.

Quick Reply: Transmission Sprocket Change Begins