Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Transmission Sprocket Change Begins

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 09:57 AM
Outlaw7x77
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by icebite1
Just a note on the socket to remove the pulley nut. I have seen some of these sockets come with 1/2" drive instead of 3/4", mine is the 1/2", that is why i used a pipe wrench and cheater bar. It worked perfectly on 3 instalations. The 1/2" drive is ok for your pre torque but no way are you going to final torque or get that nut off using 1/2". Now with that said I perfer the 1/2" drive as i dont have to add 3/4" drive accessorys to my box.
I broke two three quarter to half inch adapters trying to use this big stupid half inch drive socket. I took my broken three-quarter drive adapter to the muffler shop and for $20 he welded it to the socket solid. Now I have a proper tool that works. But I can tell you I had visions of pipe wrenches... I totally disagree about not having three-quarter drive stuff in your toolbox you don't need a whole set but what you need you need badly... I only by three-quarter inch sockets that I need. breaker bar and adapters have come over the years. I bought them one piece at a time. Like for this project I bought the 1-3/16" x 3/4" drive socket For the compensator nut.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:24 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw7x77
I broke two three quarter to half inch adapters trying to use this big stupid half inch drive socket. I took my broken three-quarter drive adapter to the muffler shop and for $20 he welded it to the socket solid. Now I have a proper tool that works. But I can tell you I had visions of pipe wrenches... I totally disagree about not having three-quarter drive stuff in your toolbox you don't need a whole set but what you need you need badly... I only by three-quarter inch sockets that I need. breaker bar and adapters have come over the years. I bought them one piece at a time. Like for this project I bought the 1-3/16" x 3/4" drive socket For the compensator nut.
I cant figure why you would use a 3/4 to 1/2 adapter with a 1/2 drive socket when you say you have the 3/4 drive socket and breaker, especially after twisting off the first one,

Last edited by icebite1; 01-31-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:37 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

I cant figure why you would use a 3/4 to 1/2 adapter with a 1/2 drive socket when you say you have the 3/4 drive socket and breaker, especially after twisting off the first one,
I think his sprocket nut socket is 1/2 drive like the one I have, I tried the 3/4 to 1/2 adapter and twisted it like a cheap toy. I ended up breaking out a 36" pipe wrench and a cheater.

Last edited by msocko3; 11-09-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:44 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
I think his sprocket nut socket is 1/2 drive like the one I have, I tried the 3/4 to 1/2 adapter and twisted it like a cheap toy. I ended up breaking out a 36" pipe wrench and a cheater.

Probably right Mike,
Not worth commenting about I guess

Last edited by icebite1; 02-01-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:23 AM
Outlaw7x77
Cruiser

Gee thanks for all the positive criticizim. Was that a tip? You trying to help? I broke the first one on accident and the second because I needed one for the muffler shop. What, do you you think I'm stupid? Man I'm sure glad I'm not a professional, Otherwise I would already know it all. Plus as a bonus, now I have an extra broken adapter for the next time I need to weld it to a socket. I think we have all broken tools needlessly at one time or another The important thing is that I did manage to get the nut off the next day. I didn't have to take it to the dealer. I didn't break the motorcycle or ruin my seals or chip the faces of my gears inside the tranny or have the motorcycle fall over on its side all of which are reasons why I'm here seeking wisdom to try and avoid. I ain't the best mechanic but I'm good enough to know that I need help sometimes.

Last edited by Outlaw7x77; 02-01-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:57 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

I was going to ask the same question. No criticism intended. Knowing Icebite I also doubt he meant any either. That's not the way we are on this forum section.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:25 AM
Outlaw7x77
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
I was going to ask the same question. No criticism intended. Knowing Icebite I also doubt he meant any either. That's not the way we are on this forum section.
I guess my question is for the socket manufacture. This is what gets me. A three quarter by half inch adapter is almost strong enough to break it loose. I said ALMOST! Why in heaven do they make the socket with a half inch drive? Do they also manufacture in large quantities three quarter to half inch adapters? Is this what all the different auto parts stores are selling us for these half inch drive sockets that need to twist at 500 foot pounds of torque? Why can't these tooling makers give us a 3/4" drive socket? By making the socket a half inch drive the manufacture is saying that a half inch drive breaker bar or a adapter will break it loose. This ludicrous and is a huge slap in the face to us all and deserves a explanation. I spent an additional $100 or so dinking around with getting it welded. Yes I know, if I had MIG welder I coulda done it myself... I'm gonna get one some day... I keep telling myself next time I get $700 I will buy one... That I just blew $350 on these Harley-Davidson tools. Note: I am not complaining about the Harley-Davidson brand tools.

Last edited by Outlaw7x77; 02-01-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:42 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

I feel ya...

Just say'n.. when I get an adapter I get one made for impact service. They are normally black and made of hardened steel. I get them from Snap-On or Matco or Mac. A little more expensive but they don't break. Have never had an adapter break on me, socket wrench yes, socket yes but each time it was my fault by not using the proper tool for .... you know....

Old 02-01-2013, 09:32 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Worth it

Trials and tribulations aside, this is one of the best modifications you can perform on the 2010 for a change you can feel imediately, seat of your pants. Still scratching my head as to why Harley did not go with the correct gearing until 2011,,,,A lot more of the 09 and 2010 buyers would have been more satisfied with their product.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:35 PM
sloufoot
Club Member
Received 4,094 Likes on 3,494 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw7x77
I guess my question is for the socket manufacture. This is what gets me. A three quarter by half inch adapter is almost strong enough to break it loose. I said ALMOST! Why in heaven do they make the socket with a half inch drive? Do they also manufacture in large quantities three quarter to half inch adapters? Is this what all the different auto parts stores are selling us for these half inch drive sockets that need to twist at 500 foot pounds of torque? Why can't these tooling makers give us a 3/4" drive socket? By making the socket a half inch drive the manufacture is saying that a half inch drive breaker bar or a adapter will break it loose. This ludicrous and is a huge slap in the face to us all and deserves a explanation. I spent an additional $100 or so dinking around with getting it welded. Yes I know, if I had MIG welder I coulda done it myself... I'm gonna get one some day... I keep telling myself next time I get $700 I will buy one... That I just blew $350 on these Harley-Davidson tools. Note: I am not complaining about the Harley-Davidson brand tools.
The size of the socket doesn't determine the size of the drive. Some sockets are made for specific work. Such as a socket for axle nuts, they can be a light torque application without the need for a high torque.
For instance I have a set (not a complete set) of 1/2 drive sockets that go through 4-1/2", and are even made of aluminum. I also have sockets in 3/4 drive that goes down to 1-1/8". Not intended for 300ft lb torque.
My point is, choose the proper tool for the job at hand. Don't expect a cheap tool of any type to do a good job. They always end up costing you more in the long run!
Using an adapter is usually asking for trouble on anything. But if you do use an adapter make it quality! The strongest you can find, like the impact tools mentioned before. Be careful welding tools, as it sometimes crystallizes the metal. Could hurt like hell when it breaks! Many times in the pocket book !!

Just saying......
Ride safe

Quick Reply: Transmission Sprocket Change Begins