Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Transmission Sprocket Change Begins

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 01:19 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by bullet 10
msocko3 Was that a SE COMPENSATOR , if so was it standard in all Triglides? Thanks TOM.
Yes that is the SE compensator which does come standard on all Triglides.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:48 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by msocko3
Yes that is the SE compensator which does come standard on all Triglides.
Mike did you have the compensator apart at all? Wondering if you are seeing any of the "fretting" in the compensator that the guys in the Touring forum are complainng about.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:20 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Buddy WMC
Mike did you have the compensator apart at all? Wondering if you are seeing any of the "fretting" in the compensator that the guys in the Touring forum are complainng about.
I had the compensator on both mine and my dads apart and the fretting was minimal on both of them, mine has about 10,000 miles and my dads has 20,000 miles on it. From what I have gathered by reading several forums is there is more fretting when guys use ATF instead of something heavier. I've used Formula + in the primary of both trikes since new.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:03 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by msocko3
I had the compensator on both mine and my dads apart and the fretting was minimal on both of them, mine has about 10,000 miles and my dads has 20,000 miles on it. From what I have gathered by reading several forums is there is more fretting when guys use ATF instead of something heavier. I've used Formula + in the primary of both trikes since new.
Mike,
That seems to be the common denominator. Anything other than Formula+ seems to aggrivate the problem. Think I'll take the MTL I bought back and get the Furmula + instead.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:48 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Mike,
That seems to be the common denominator. Anything other than Formula+ seems to aggrivate the problem. Think I'll take the MTL I bought back and get the Furmula + instead.
I can't say anything bad about Formula +. While I had mine and my dads primary cases apart to change the sprocket I took the time to inspect everything good, even the clutch. I took all the frictions and steels out of both clutch baskets and inspected them for any signs of excessive heat or wear, both looked fine. I have about 10,000 miles on mine and my dad has 20,000 miles on his. Mine has seen some spirited riding, banging the twisties, picking the front end up on a couple occasions and just plain leaving a traffic light and running through the gears.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:11 PM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior

Mike,
Sounds good as I always ran B&M Trick Shift in my EVO with the extra plate clutch. Slowly but surely, I'm entering the TC world. Bike goes to the dealer next week for the FM header, mufflers, SE A/C and SE 255 cam install. Wiz is helping me out with the TTS program. They are also going to repair that snapped off bolt under warranty. I'm sure at my age, that will be enough for awhile.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:35 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike,
Sounds good as I always ran B&M Trick Shift in my EVO with the extra plate clutch. Slowly but surely, I'm entering the TC world. Bike goes to the dealer next week for the FM header, mufflers, SE A/C and SE 255 cam install. Wiz is helping me out with the TTS program. They are also going to repair that snapped off bolt under warranty. I'm sure at my age, that will be enough for awhile.
What are you talking about age. Your still a young pup.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:09 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

They are also going to repair that snapped off bolt under warranty. I'm sure at my age, that will be enough for awhile.
Nice of them to take care of the bolt under warranty.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:05 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior

Just wanted to jump in and pass some information along. My Trike is a 2011 and has the 30T pulley as you know. The factory VSS was set at 2462. When Wiz sent me the calibration he created, the VSS was set at 2345. I do not have a GPS, so after the V-Tunes were completed at Doc's, we did a rear tire rollout on his shop floor. We measured the distance for one tire revolution, converted that into a VSS of 2397 and reflashed the ECM.

Went out on Thursday with one of our motor deputies to a deserted stretch of road, Got her up to 60 and engaged the cruise. We did this twice and both the radar and laser showed an actual mph of 57. Just to double check I went out on Friday with one of the motor officers from our city. Same set speed same results. At least I know I'm 3mph slower than my speedo shows and that should keep me out of trouble.

I do not feel that this difference is worth changing, what do you guys think??

Buddy.....

Old 03-07-2011, 05:26 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just wanted to jump in and pass some information along. My Trike is a 2011 and has the 30T pulley as you know. The factory VSS was set at 2462. When Wiz sent me the calibration he created, the VSS was set at 2345. I do not have a GPS, so after the V-Tunes were completed at Doc's, we did a rear tire rollout on his shop floor. We measured the distance for one tire revolution, converted that into a VSS of 2397 and reflashed the ECM.

Went out on Thursday with one of our motor deputies to a deserted stretch of road, Got her up to 60 and engaged the cruise. We did this twice and both the radar and laser showed an actual mph of 57. Just to double check I went out on Friday with one of the motor officers from our city. Same set speed same results. At least I know I'm 3mph slower than my speedo shows and that should keep me out of trouble.

I do not feel that this difference is worth changing, what do you guys think??

Buddy.....
I don't think I would worry about that much difference. There is already a 2 mph difference between my GPS and the stock settings on my TG.

Quick Reply: Transmission Sprocket Change Begins