Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri glide cig lighter

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010 | 05:56 AM
Diesel-Dawg
|
Tourer
Default Tri glide cig lighter

Do any of you use the tri glide cigarette lighter for powering your GPS or other electric devices? If not, where do you have your 12 volt connection installed?

Old 10-19-2010 | 10:09 AM
Ultra 08
Elite HDF Member

Don't know about a Tri-Glide cig lighter, but when I used it for my GPS, it would vibrate out once in a while. Very disturbing when you're in a strange place making turns and the GPS goes down. I wired mine into the hot wire behind the headlight (hot when switch is on). Ran the wire out through a grommet and now I don't have to worry about losing power to the GPS. On my last rig, I just wired it to the hot side of the cig lighter inside the fairing. Hope this helps.

Old 10-19-2010 | 04:54 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member

You have an accessory switch on your dash board and the power leads are under your seat for the switch. That is where I pick up my power.

Old 10-20-2010 | 03:05 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

I use it to keep my cell phone on charge while riding. I just make sure I unplug and put the lighter back in when it starts raining.

Old 10-26-2010 | 07:16 PM
bronxbill
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp

I use it for both my cell and GPS, never had a problem

Old 10-26-2010 | 07:35 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
You have an accessory switch on your dash board and the power leads are under your seat for the switch. That is where I pick up my power.

+1 on using the accessory switch power cord.

Jim

Old 10-26-2010 | 07:48 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Diesel-Dawg
Do any of you use the tri glide cigarette lighter for powering your GPS or other electric devices? If not, where do you have your 12 volt connection installed?
Some months back there was a thread in the TG section warning about the dangers of using the cigarette lighter socket as a power source for accessories.

Jim

P.S. Diesel, I hope you didn’t let that heckler chase you away from the TG section! Come on back to the dark side.

Old 10-27-2010 | 04:34 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member

Originally Posted by TheJimer
Some months back there was a thread in the TG section warning about the dangers of using the cigarette lighter socket as a power source for accessories.

Jim

P.S. Diesel, I hope you didn’t let that heckler chase you away from the TG section! Come on back to the dark side.
+1 on the P.S., you can't let your feelings get hurt.

Old 10-27-2010 | 07:52 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
+1 on the P.S., you can't let your feelings get hurt.

+2 on the P.S. , We may jab at each other once in a while here but all in jest, once in a while someone comes in and---- hmmm, cant think of what to call it, well maybe i do but wont post it, but im sure you get the picture. Hang in there and keep posting.

Old 10-27-2010 | 07:16 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member

(It's called busting *****.) Or being mean. As for the cig lighter outlet. If the accessory plug for what ever you are using does stick out to far. It could dent your gas tank if you turn the handle bars to the left real tight. There might not be enough clearance.

Last edited by carlo; 10-27-2010 at 07:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Tri glide cig lighter