Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri glide cig lighter

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010 | 07:44 PM
Diesel-Dawg
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by TheJimer
Some months back there was a thread in the TG section warning about the dangers of using the cigarette lighter socket as a power source for accessories.

Jim

P.S. Diesel, I hope you didn’t let that heckler chase you away from the TG section! Come on back to the dark side.
Jim, no I am still here. Just got back from several days of travel without my computer. I like the TG section and love the TG ride. Hope to meet you someday.

Ken

Old 10-27-2010 | 07:46 PM
Diesel-Dawg
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by carlo
(It's called busting *****.) Or being mean. As for the cig lighter outlet. If the accessory plug for what ever you are using does stick out to far. It could dent your gas tank if you turn the handle bars to the left real tight. There might not be enough clearance.
Great point Carlo. Am leaning toward installing off of the accessory switch. thanks to all for the advice.

Ken

Old 10-27-2010 | 09:21 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Diesel-Dawg
Great point Carlo. Am leaning toward installing off of the accessory switch. thanks to all for the advice.

Ken
Ken,the accessory plug may be a hidden and a little difficult to locate. If you have any problems finding it, don’t hesitate to post. Myself or a couple dozen other members will be happy assist you.

Jim

Old 10-27-2010 | 09:27 PM
T K Glider
Road Master

Putting the battery tender leads on the battery and then getting a 12v outlet that plugs into those leads gave me a great power source location,Plug is about 3 dollars.

Old 10-27-2010 | 09:47 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member

I use the red & black wires inside the fairing that are attached to the headlight plug ( think they are for overseas use?) anyway, these work great and power on & off with switch. Run the wires through any gromet hole in fairing

Old 10-28-2010 | 04:41 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member

Originally Posted by Casper
I use the red & black wires inside the fairing that are attached to the headlight plug ( think they are for overseas use?) anyway, these work great and power on & off with switch. Run the wires through any gromet hole in fairing
Those work great except the shoe on the GPS mount will always be powered when the bike is turned on. I do not have my GPS with me all the time and was worried about shorts with a constantly powered shoe and rain.

Old 10-28-2010 | 05:23 AM
grandpawmoses
Road Master

Originally Posted by Diesel-Dawg

Ken
I opted to install accessory outlet that mounts inside the tour pak. I wanted to make some data collection runs for the TTS & my old laptop battery is a little weak. It's connected to the accessory switch along with the Lenale fan.
I think it was about $20 or so from Zanotti.

Old 10-28-2010 | 06:13 AM
Boom
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by grandpawmoses
I opted to install accessory outlet that mounts inside the tour pak. I wanted to make some data collection runs for the TTS & my old laptop battery is a little weak. It's connected to the accessory switch along with the Lenale fan.
I like that idea for charging my cell phone and keeping it high-and-dry. However, my accessory outlets under the seat are tapped-out. I'd have to run from an un-used switched fuse on the fuse block. Is that tour pak outlet like a cig lighter style socket?

EDIT: Never mind. Found it in the catalog. But it still connects to auxilary port under seat with that 4-pin connector. For 50 bucks, I'm hoping it will install itself!

Last edited by Boom; 10-28-2010 at 06:33 AM.
Old 10-28-2010 | 06:53 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by T K Glider
Putting the battery tender leads on the battery and then getting a 12v outlet that plugs into those leads gave me a great power source location,Plug is about 3 dollars.
I was thinking about that. I wonder if I can buy one with a cig lighter end? Or would I have to make one up. Any one know If there is one made with a battery tender plug on one end with a cig lighter female on the other end? And if so where could I buy on. Thanks Carmine.

Old 10-28-2010 | 07:42 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by grandpawmoses
Sounds like a good excuse to pick up a new lap top, maybe one of those Mini's. You can load the TTS software on a mini via a thumb drive. I have a lap top that is only used for data runs & what not with the bike or trike. I couldn't see letting my good lap top get bounced around while turned on.

Quick Reply: Tri glide cig lighter