Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

30 tooth sprocket

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 03:54 PM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I been eaves-dropping on you boys....all the time...you know that. You folks are going in the opposite direction I had to go to get my 5-speed geared right. I went up to a 34 and ya'll are going down to a 30. I suspect either way we wind up in a high-gear (6 for you 5 for me) cruise situation at around 3K at 70mph.

I had an occasion to run the pee out of mine on the interstate this past week. I was averaging around 31mpg with the POS 6-speed I took out trying to run it as often as I could down around 2800. Well.....I ran around 150 miles between 75 to 85 (75 when I suspected where the local county-mounties were hiding) and generally staying between 3300-3500. My mileage was the same.....31mpg and she felt real good...hummed right along like a well-oiled Singer sewing machine.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:14 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by 1550vt
I been eaves-dropping on you boys....all the time...you know that. You folks are going in the opposite direction I had to go to get my 5-speed geared right. I went up to a 34 and ya'll are going down to a 30. I suspect either way we wind up in a high-gear (6 for you 5 for me) cruise situation at around 3K at 70mph.
Sounds like we're all on the same page with different ways of getting to it. I'm looking forward to 1st gear being easier to get tubby rolling.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Sort of like domino's #3. One falls over and knocks another over, etc, etc. This kit I had was equipped with LARGE tires. I mean like 245's....way to wide and tall. I changed them to stock TG size (205) which reduced the overall diameter, which changed my gearing...and on and on it goes. I had it geared about right before the 6-speed bit-the-dust.

I elected to keep my 205 tires and change to a little taller pulley when I went back to the 5-speed and it has worked out. I had to pull the tranny anyway to gut the 6-speed and so...the pulley was looking at me anyway and was the most economical thing to do. I am geared a tad tall in 1 and 2, but things have worked out.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:40 PM
roger scarcliff
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up the trike today with the 30 tooth installed. From my seat of the pants dyno, the trike feels lighter and quicker off of the line. Six gear does not feel like its dragging or ******* like it did before. However, the speedo reads 70 and actually doing 60 but even in six gear with the speedo not calibrated the trike feels fine. The six gear light comes on and cruise works. Now a couple of questions, I have the dakota sim1 so do i push the down button to recalibrate and will this throw the ECM off to where the cruise and six gear light not to function? I think this is a question for Mr. Wizard. The trike also shifts easier and neutral is easier to find. I guess this is due to the Indy's work and not due to the 30t. Overall I would say that the 30t is well worth it. Now, I can just imagine how the trike will run with the cam change-out.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:47 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1550vt
Sort of like domino's #3. One falls over and knocks another over, etc, etc. This kit I had was equipped with LARGE tires. I mean like 245's....way to wide and tall. I changed them to stock TG size (205) which reduced the overall diameter, which changed my gearing...and on and on it goes. I had it geared about right before the 6-speed bit-the-dust.

I elected to keep my 205 tires and change to a little taller pulley when I went back to the 5-speed and it has worked out. I had to pull the tranny anyway to gut the 6-speed and so...the pulley was looking at me anyway and was the most economical thing to do. I am geared a tad tall in 1 and 2, but things have worked out.
UH-OH, does that mean your going to be draging your mufflers with the rest of us now?

Old 10-29-2010, 03:52 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by roger scarcliff
However, the speedo reads 70 and actually doing 60 but even in six gear with the speedo not calibrated the trike feels fine. The six gear light comes on and cruise works. Now a couple of questions, I have the dakota sim1 so do i push the down button to recalibrate and will this throw the ECM off to where the cruise and six gear light not to function? I think this is a question for Mr. Wizard. The trike also shifts easier and neutral is easier to find. I guess this is due to the Indy's work and not due to the 30t.
I ain't tell'n ya

Old 10-29-2010, 04:35 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

OK, I'll tell ya...

Push the down button to make your speedo needle go down. If your speedo is reading too high or too fast then push the down button until the needle says the correct MPH. Once the button isn't pushed for 10 seconds the SIM 1 will lock itself and remember that setting. You can change it again simply by pushing the up or down button again if needed.

Once your speedo needle is set correctly you will lose your 6th gear light, I did, but I didn't lose my cruise light. I've been riding with my SIM 1 for so long that I don't even look at the lights anymore and it doesn't bother me one way or the other.

With the 30 tooth sprocket you will try to up shift from 6th to 7th a few times until you get used to the new gearing RPMs to MPH. That's just human nature. You will find yourself riding on the back roads in 6th, very comfortably I might add. 50 MPH is not uncommon for me in 6th gear.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:35 PM
roger scarcliff
Advanced

Thanks Mr. Wizard. I can do without the 6th light, I was just worried about the parameters of the ecm being thrown off and the cruise not working. It does feel a bit weird riding in 6th while doing 60 without the trike lugging. I would highly reccommend the 30t.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:23 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by roger scarcliff
Thanks Mr. Wizard. I can do without the 6th light, I was just worried about the parameters of the ecm being thrown off and the cruise not working. It does feel a bit weird riding in 6th while doing 60 without the trike lugging. I would highly reccommend the 30t.
The ECM will be OK. It's the signal from the VSS (speed sensor) that you are changing. Since the signal is not within the range the ECM is looking for all it does is turn off the light, nothing else.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:34 PM
roger scarcliff
Advanced

Thanks, turns out the speedo was not off by 10 mph after all. It was maybe 2-3 mph, so I just left it alone and have 6th light and cruise.

Quick Reply: 30 tooth sprocket