Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

How do I get my wheels clean?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 06:52 AM
trikermary
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I get my wheels clean?

HI,
I have the 2009 Tri Glide - I try to wash it as often as possible, where I live I cannot have a hose....so I take it to the car wash and wash it but someone pointed out to me that my wheels looked very dull and dirty and when I looked close, I did see a film that may eventually turn to rust... they are in need of a good cleaning, I bought some Noxon because someone told me that would do the trick, then someone else told me if I used the wrong cleaner I could ruin the wheels, any suggestions, how do you clean yours??? I am trying to find a detailer so I can get it done before putting it away for the winter months, but not having much luck finding anyone either....

Old 10-18-2010, 07:15 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Aluminum Wheels

Originally Posted by trikermary
HI,
I have the 2009 Tri Glide - I try to wash it as often as possible, where I live I cannot have a hose....so I take it to the car wash and wash it but someone pointed out to me that my wheels looked very dull and dirty and when I looked close, I did see a film that may eventually turn to rust... they are in need of a good cleaning, I bought some Noxon because someone told me that would do the trick, then someone else told me if I used the wrong cleaner I could ruin the wheels, any suggestions, how do you clean yours??? I am trying to find a detailer so I can get it done before putting it away for the winter months, but not having much luck finding anyone either....

Most of us are enslaved to those aluminum wheels! Aluminum will not rust in the fashion iron or steel rust but the aluminum does experience oxidation. They have a tough film of aluminum oxide that does darken out with age and wear. Most of us are tied to the old aluminum polish and buffer wheels, drill mounted. Several manufacturers make a good aluminum polish, I use Mothers but they all are about the same.

The only real fix is buying the new chrome wheels, especially the front one that is more difficult to get at. Check out the Harley accessories for the Tri, the new chrome wheel has the same style or pattern as the OEM.

Hint, if you ride early where they use salt on the roads, DON'T or make sure you do a good rinse after you ride. The road salts wreak havoc on those aluminum wheels.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:08 AM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nevr-Dull and a lot of elbow grease. This stuff is cotton wadding in a can and smells like kerosene but does a great job. Make sure you do a good job of polishing off the dry haze. Keeps aluminum wheels shiney for a couple weeks. Don't buy it at a Harley dealer -- Walmart has it for half the price!

Old 10-18-2010, 10:20 AM
peppi
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Boom
Nevr-Dull and a lot of elbow grease. This stuff is cotton wadding in a can and smells like kerosene but does a great job. Make sure you do a good job of polishing off the dry haze. Keeps aluminum wheels shiney for a couple weeks. Don't buy it at a Harley dealer -- Walmart has it for half the price!
I agree with Boom. It's all I use on the wheels. If they are real bad get one of those polishing ***** for your drill, it will make short work of it.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:14 AM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't know why, but mine are close to 10-years old and look about as good as they did the day they were installed. I have the old ASA wheels that Lehman used and they must have a good clear-coat on them. I won't dare use anything abrasive on them for fear of losing the clear-coat. I just keep them cleaned with that off-the-shelf product many of us have learned to love....Pledge.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:02 PM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior

There is also a three step process I believe available from Groits Garage for bare aluminum polishing. I've not tried it yet, but have a friend that uses it on his hot rod and swears by it. Says that it protects and lasts along time and his wheels always look nice. Their stuff is kind of pricey, but they are known in the automotive world to be first class products.

With any luck I'll pick my 2011 up on Saturday and try it out. Can't hurt on a new set of wheels unless they are clear coated in some way. I purchased a roll around adjustable shop chair from them and it was a first class product and better priced than Craftsman or Matco.

I tried that kit sold by Rain X for restoring plastic lenses, that kitd did not work worth a crap.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:42 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 307 Likes on 199 Posts
Default Wheels

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

When I hit the Lotto or something like it, I'll go this route...look sweet!

Old 10-18-2010, 03:32 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trikermary
HI,

Aluminum wheels are very difficult to keep clean and even with some of the excellent products mentioned here, they just don’t have the same deep luster as chrome wheels.

Harley’s price for chrome wheels is ridiculous! I had my wheels chromed for a fraction of the cost H-D wants. They look much better than the stock Aluminum wheels and are a snap to clean.

Jim

Old 10-18-2010, 04:06 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Boom
+1 on Never Dull.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:08 PM
grandpawmoses
Road Master

I've been very happy with S-100 wheel cleaner. It's a spray on, rinse off product. Does a decient job & is HD approved.

Quick Reply: How do I get my wheels clean?