Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Ultra oil cooler ( Should I add it ?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 03:27 PM
Tri glide 10
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra oil cooler ( Should I add it ?)

I have posted before that my dealership will install the Ultra oil cooler at no cost for labor and 10 % off price of it. I have done just about every mod and option to my Trike and it runs and looks great now. With my mods I have cooled it down alot and they are telling me not to count on this Ultra cooler to bring the temp down much more. They did add in traffic on a hot day it would for sure help. But for $400 do I really need it? Will it really help the engine in the long run....Also should I let it kick in on its own with the thermostat or install a switch to turn the fan on in traffic? I read where it was a pain to get to your oil filter also and your oil temp gauge would not work with it..Any advice would be helpful as always from you guys......thanks

Old 10-15-2010, 05:49 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd suggest waiting for awhile as I spoke with Robert at Ultracool yesterday. He has a dual waterproof fan system in development that will bolt right on to the stock HD cooler. Preliminary testing shows alot of promise at a much lower cost. He hopes to have the R&D done and the unit to market fairly soon. As I live in SW Florida I discussed using my new Tri to help with testing. Gave Robert my personal contact information, so we'll see as our weather is finally breaking and we are getting cooler temps now. The fans will be theromostically controlled by oil temperature and will come on only when we need them most.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:35 AM
Boom
Road Warrior

I have mixed emotions about having/using my Ultracool. The fan totally covers the surface area of the cooler, plus there is a plastic protective shroud over the whole thing. Seems to get any airflow over the cooler, you'd have to have the fan on all the time.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:46 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default But does it work?

Originally Posted by Boom
I have mixed emotions about having/using my Ultracool. The fan totally covers the surface area of the cooler, plus there is a plastic protective shroud over the whole thing. Seems to get any airflow over the cooler, you'd have to have the fan on all the time.
Bottom line and to me the only relevant test would be does the Ultra Cool keep the EITMS from kicking in and does it keep the oil temp 250 or below on hot days at idle in traffic?

I feel the engine gets enough cooling when in the wind even if the Ultra has the fan covering the cooler, if you have done the other cooling mods. I do like the way the arizona fans mount on the back of the cooler and leaves the front exposed. It pulls the air through the cooler from the back side.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:28 PM
Tri glide 10
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info to think about....thanks!

Old 10-15-2010, 02:27 PM
T K Glider
Road Master

I think wrapping the exhaust has maybe the best payback of all the mods.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:36 PM
Boom
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by coupe55
Bottom line and to me the only relevant test would be does the Ultra Cool keep the EITMS from kicking in and does it keep the oil temp 250 or below on hot days at idle in traffic?

I feel the engine gets enough cooling when in the wind even if the Ultra has the fan covering the cooler, if you have done the other cooling mods. I do like the way the arizona fans mount on the back of the cooler and leaves the front exposed. It pulls the air through the cooler from the back side.
I have to have my parade fan running to keep that from happening. However, if I turn the parade fan on, I know the cooler fan is already running because they are both on the same auxiliary 12V switch.

I like the idea of the rear-mounted fan on the oil cooler. Then the air pulled through the cooler is omni-directional (been wanting to use that word!)

Old 10-15-2010, 07:07 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Mummy Pipe's

Originally Posted by T K Glider

+1 For rider comfort and I'm seeing more and more of it. Lot of bikes here with no exhaust covers have done it. They just think it looks cool..

Old 10-15-2010, 07:21 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,247 Likes on 22,615 Posts

This for me;
http://www.budsbikerparts.net/theoilbud.html
Seriously kicks the temps down, at least 35 degrees, and it ain't got no fan.

Last edited by lionsm13; 10-15-2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:59 AM
v2plus15
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by T K Glider
I plan on wrapping my exhaust this winter. Any tips would be appreciated. One question is will the chrome covers fit once the exhaust is wrapped?

Quick Reply: Ultra oil cooler ( Should I add it ?)