Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

HD heated gloves review

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 09:31 PM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HD heated gloves review

About $180 later I go home with a pair of HD heated gloves.Good gauntlet style,waterproof and fit well.The kit included battery leads an on/off lighted switch and enough cable to reach the gloves thru my coat sleeves.Put on the battery leads,negative side first put in a fuse and looked for a destination.It was maybe 70 when I left the house and sunny.

Ran my errands and went to a meeting,came home in the dark with stars above and 48degrees around me.First time putting the gloves on and plugging in was like putting socks on a chicken.I had called Gerbing first and they told me to get the closest fit.They are size small,I wear mens large size but these were snug and not too small plus I can push buttons easily with them on.

I know 48 isn't that cold but this Buckeye is a winter Texan now so I am somewhat of a thin blooded panzy now,

Getting back to the gloves they are HOT,the new nano tech. makes for no wires in the gloves but the filling or insulation conducts the heat which an all over heat.I will use them in cold weather but may need to buy the controller or just turn them off when too hot.I read where the old wired style is not as good and if you find some with a much lower price they may be closeouts.

I have always had heated grips on many bikes.I have heard that HD does not put heaters on bikes with throttle by wire cause they don't last.That is why I went with them.To compare the two the gloves heat the whole hand and not just the palms though expensive to me the gloves are still cheaper than the grip heaters plus labor for the install.

In my opinion with a lifetime heat warranty added this year I will give them an 8.4 out of 10.

ridem till it snows,

T K

Old 10-01-2010, 10:08 PM
Slope
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You said, "I have heard that HD does not put heaters on bikes with throttle by wire cause they don't last."

Where did you hear this? My 2010 Ultra Classic Limited came with heated grips and work just fine. Can't believe everything you hear!

Old 10-01-2010, 10:31 PM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Slope how many miles on that LTD?Do you run them heaters often in Boca?

Old 10-02-2010, 06:09 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by T K Glider
Hey Slope how many miles on that LTD?Do you run them heaters often in Boca?
Only when he gets 12" of snow.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:32 AM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's my understanding that the TBW grip is one large variable resistor. It is also pre-wired to accomodate heated grips. I can't imagine putting heat on that resistor for any length of time without possible failure. Just my 2 cents.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:33 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

I really like ours too TK... I also got the men's small. They are a touch tight and hard to put on especially after you've taken them off wrong and bunched the internal lining a bit.

We have the in line thermostat, hung from our belts, which really makes it nice when the gloves get to hot.

OH, suggestion, try to use the frame ground lugs when hooking up a fused connection such as a trickle charger or heated gear. Keeps the battery terminal free on the negative side since the post screws are a pain to get to.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:46 AM
ON-3
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had the heated grips installed on mine before delivery. Rode through Bertooth Pass on Aug. 14 and the temps were in the 30's. Turned the grips on: zip, nada, zilch; they were as cold as I was. Took it to the dealer when I got back and they said that a connector had come unplugged. Working fine now. I've had heated grips on my last 3 Ultras and had to have all of them repaired but never had any more trouble after the repair.

Attached Thumbnails HD heated gloves review-beartooth-pass-aug.-10.jpg  
Old 10-02-2010, 09:22 AM
GAZippoman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '10 FLHTK has heated grips. I ride year round, and haven't had a single problem with the heated grips. I also have a heated seat and a heated vest. Last winter I ran the heated seat, grips and vest every day and everything worked exactly like it should.

I would recommend getting the control. My heated vest would get TOO hot without it.

And I don't understand why you ran a seperate harness for the heated gloves. I run my vest from the pigtail that my battery tender would hook into. HD makes the connector and costs all of $10.

Originally Posted by Boom
It's my understanding that the TBW grip is one large variable resistor. It is also pre-wired to accomodate heated grips. I can't imagine putting heat on that resistor for any length of time without possible failure. Just my 2 cents.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:54 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by GAZippoman

And I don't understand why you ran a seperate harness for the heated gloves. I run my vest from the pigtail that my battery tender would hook into. HD makes the connector and costs all of $10.
Morn'n Zippo... I'm sure you know this, others may not.

The electrical connector on some heated gear is round while the tender is flat. I think this is what Zippo is speaking of, the conversion connector cable?

Just wanted to connect the dots for those who haven't seen or purchased heated gear yet. Nothing worse than getting home and the plugs don't match or you must add a second wiring adapter to the battery. Ughhhhh

Old 10-02-2010, 10:02 AM
Bubba49
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 142 Posts

I used the heated gloves on my Tri-Glide and now on my Deluxe. I tried em without the controller first and they would burn my hands after a half hour or so. I went and bought the controller and now I use em every Fall/Winter without any hand burning. I also like the fact that I can use either the **** control or the plug-in switch control to cut em off when I stop for gas.

I bought mine a size larger than I needed to fit over the sleeve of my leather jacket (no wind rushin up my sleeve).

I definitely recommend the controller.

Bubba

Quick Reply: HD heated gloves review