Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Lean(s) and mean

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 04:06 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheJimer
There was a lot of speculation as to if the TG QC would improve when MOCO shipped the entire operation to York. I think we are having that question answered.

Jim
I think it is going down the toilet. Do you hear that flushing sound???

Old 09-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
I think it is going down the toilet. Do you hear that flushing sound???
Sumfin' tells me that this one smells like a future "recall" thaaang!

Old 09-24-2010, 10:52 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I stopped the dealer here in N.Mich. and was looking over a '11 triglide ultra that they had sitting in the front window. The salesman came over and asked if i had any questions so just for grins i said sure. I asked about all the things that we have found not to be satisfactory with the tri on this forum.He said it was the first he had heard of any of this. didnt even know about the 30t pulley change. anyhow i got around to the bike sitting uneven and he said it looks level to him. i just happened to have a tape in my pocket and said lets measure it. it was off a good 3/4" side to side and he said well im sure they all sit a little uneven, cars do.

Last edited by icebite1; 09-24-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:14 AM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Well....I suppose this is an indication the fungus-lean is spreading around to other cities.

I could see where one side may be lower than the other due to tire pressure (a lot) or fender/body fitment. Since we have now been alerted that it's a frame issue, I guess we will have to assume icebite1 found a sick one at another dealership. I wonder when somebody is going to find one somewhere else?

Old 09-24-2010, 01:29 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by icebite1
I stopped the dealer here in N.Mich. and was looking over a '11 triglide ultra that they had sitting in the front window. The salesman came over and asked if i had any questions so just for grins i said sure. I asked about all the things that we have found not to be satisfactory with the tri on this forum.He said it was the first he had heard of any of this. didnt even know about the 30t pulley change. anyhow i got around to the bike sitting uneven and he said it looks level to him. i just happened to have a tape in my pocket and said lets measure it. it was off a good 3/4" side and he said well im sure they all sit a little uneven, cars do.
He just drink's the Kool-Aid.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:54 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tbob
Jonestown escapee (brain dead)

Old 09-24-2010, 03:44 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by tbob
I think some of the problems are dealers have employees that haven't taken the time to learn about the product they sell. Then there are the demographics that play a part in things. I can remember last spring when my dad and I took our annual spring trip to Wellsboro PA. We always stop at ***'s Northern Fronter Harley, great group of folks. The owner is friendly knows the product he is selling and has a great eye for detail. He come out to greet my dad and I then look over my dads Triglide. One of the questions he ask was if my dad had any issues at that time because all his customers who bought a Triglide just road them around town. There is a big difference between someone who putts around town from time to time and someone who travels or puts on some miles.

Then there is the problem where Harley gets hammered because of stupid stuff the dealer does. Harley manufacturers the product and sells it to the dealer. They provide technical schools for the employees of the dealer, but the rub is the folks attending the school need to be able to learn and use the information. The old adage " You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink" comes to mind. Its up to the owner of the dealership to manage his or her employees and make sure the employee is representing them and the product they sell properly. If you ask me part of being the owner is knowing each area of his business. They need to be able to separate BS from the truth in all the departments, not just come to work each day and plop in the office or go for a motorcycle ride.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:57 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think some of the problems are dealers have employees that haven't taken the time to learn about the product they sell.
That's what happens when you have a high turnover. Everybody leaves after they learn, and the newbies haven't had time yet.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:57 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
I think some of the problems are dealers have employees that haven't taken the time to learn about the product they sell. Then there are the demographics that play a part in things. I can remember last spring when my dad and I took our annual spring trip to Wellsboro PA. We always stop at ***'s Northern Fronter Harley, great group of folks. The owner is friendly knows the product he is selling and has a great eye for detail. He come out to greet my dad and I then look over my dads Triglide. One of the questions he ask was if my dad had any issues at that time because all his customers who bought a Triglide just road them around town. There is a big difference between someone who putts around town from time to time and someone who travels or puts on some miles.

Then there is the problem where Harley gets hammered because of stupid stuff the dealer does. Harley manufacturers the product and sells it to the dealer. They provide technical schools for the employees of the dealer, but the rub is the folks attending the school need to be able to learn and use the information. The old adage " You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink" comes to mind. Its up to the owner of the dealership to manage his or her employees and make sure the employee is representing them and the product they sell properly. If you ask me part of being the owner is knowing each area of his business. They need to be able to separate BS from the truth in all the departments, not just come to work each day and plop in the office or go for a motorcycle ride.
I think you hit it on the head. I do think profit is above all safety
and time will tell who can stand tall.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:35 AM
Jimaroo
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Measured 4 more

I've been traveling for the last week, but I stopped at one other dealership and measured their only showroom 11 Tri-Glide. It was leaning 3/4". Salesman couldn't believe it, so I handed him the tape measure.

I stopped later at "the world's largest H-D dealership" and measured their 3 showroom trikes. All were 1/2" to 3/4" leaning left.

For me, that's 8 in a row from 3 dealerships. All about the same lean amount and all leaning left. All are noticibly leaning when viewed from the rear - it doesn't take a tape measure to confirm.

Yet, there's at least one straight 2011 reported here. Something has changed, and if there are straight ones made, then it's not a design issue but a manufacturing and QC issue.

Quick Reply: Lean(s) and mean