Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Lean(s) and mean

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 04:53 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimaroo
Does anyone have Harley's customer service telephone number? I'd like to call them myself.

They sure take a lot of time on their web-page on the trikes talking up their great engineering on their trike which was made from the ground up just for a trike. I don't see much evidence of that when 5 out of 5 2011 Tri-Glides list to port. No one is checking anything.
Here is the phone number for customer service (414)343-4056 their hours are M-F 8am - 6pm CST, don't cut them any slack. I know what you mean about their engineering, after all their engineering is what brought us a built in toaster oven from the catalytic converter in the head pipe. Their also the same dim witted lot who brought us grooved rear break rotors, a leaking trunk seal for the 2009 MY which took 3 tries to fix, and poor final gear ratio for 2009 - 2010 MY along with a bare minimum engine to get the job done. They could have a world beater if they would just quit trying to just get by with things, they need to give the owner some burger to go with the bun.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:00 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimaroo
I went to a different dealership and measured another 2011 Tri-Glide. Sure enough, the left side was lower than the right side by almost 3/4". The salesman was astounded. So, that's a total of 5 for 5 for my measurements on the 2011 - and they are all the same in that they lean to the left (by not less than 1/2" nor more than 3/4").

Does anyone have Harley's customer service telephone number? I'd like to call them myself.

On my trike, the dealer blocked up the left side body 5/8" to make it look and measure level. I've been told that when following me it appears now that my left tire seems perpendicular but my right tire seems to be leaning outward - that's probably an optical illusion if the top of the wheel cutout (just under the reflector) moved closer to the tire when the left side of the body was raised up.

I've asked the dealer how they determined that my front end wasn't perpendicular They said the put a large square on the floor, pushed it up against my front brake rotor and the front wheel, and took a photo of the gap between the top of both and the square - and sent the photos to HD.

I've asked them to make that same test on this new trike on the front wheel and both rear wheels before we begin. If they are all perpendicular, I'll probably proceed and not worry about my body leaning left (5/8"). If it's not, then I think I'll take a pass and move back to 2 wheels.

They sure take a lot of time on their web-page on the trikes talking up their great engineering on their trike which was made from the ground up just for a trike. I don't see much evidence of that when 5 out of 5 2011 Tri-Glides list to port. No one is checking anything.
Have somebody else ride your trike, while you follow from behind and eyeball everything.

This story has me intrigued. I'm a perfectionist and I wouldn't like going thru what you are experiencing.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:21 PM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

o3.....we need some fries with that too!

I am very pleased to announce that mine is spot-on from the fender well down to the concrete on both sides and dead level across the top of the bumper. Of course...I cheated, mine is not a 2011 TG.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:03 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

at first i was thinking this might be due to the new fender mounts being screwew up but after all the measurements that have been taken i dont think so

Old 09-20-2010, 07:12 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't believe the new fender mounts would have anything to do with affecting the steering.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:33 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
I don't believe the new fender mounts would have anything to do with affecting the steering.
i absolutly agree, fenders were just my first thought as that was where measurements were first taken.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:17 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
Have somebody else ride your trike, while you follow from behind and eyeball everything.

This story has me intrigued. I'm a perfectionist and I wouldn't like going thru what you are experiencing.
A little update to this my trike got real hard to control yesterday on a long ride. so today we measured it on
a frame rack and the hole bike is 3/4 inch higher on right side. Long story
short checked three new trike's at the dealer same problem.Trike is staying put for zone rep to look at.Spoke to HD and they talked to me like I was crazy. A company with no Quality control.Sorry for the rant Im pissed off.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:21 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by tbob
A little update to this my trike got real hard to control yesterday on a long ride. so today we measured it on
a frame rack and the hole bike is 3/4 inch higher on right side. Long story
short checked three new trike's at the dealer same problem.Trike is staying put for zone rep to look at.Spoke to HD and they talked to me like I was crazy. A company with no Quality control.Sorry for the rant Im pissed off.
Oh man. This is getting uglier. Might be time to bring in some other "consumer protection" type organizations. We're talkin' safety issues here.

Remember the Toyota brake issue?

You realize of course, that the "rep" you are waiting on is on their team?

Last edited by Faast Ed; 09-20-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:27 PM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

tbob....you just rant all you want too and try to get it out of your system. Surely, once the rep. sees this situation and discovers other trikes there in the same shape...you will get a resolution...like a new trike....we all hope. If it were me....I'd want my money back and move-on.

It's not just limited to hardware. I purchased the wife an $1100 heated "all weather" suit and the first shower we went through, she took it off at a rest stop and everything she had on under the suit was orange and black and the suit was soaked. I eventually got to talk to somebody at Harley that presented herself as the VP Wearing Apparel, or some such title. She told me that I needed to take that up with the manufacturer of the suit. I was so mad that I don't even remember what I told this lady. I normally do not "cuss" a lady, but I am sure she got an ear-full that day. I shoot the suit once-a-year with camp-dry and it's totally water repellent now.

These people are so far out of touch that it's ridiculous. If this rep. uses the famous term..."that's normal", I will personally contribute to a legal defense fund for you when you go to jail for assault and battery.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:29 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

It would be nice if you could get somebody to show up at that same meeting with a straight version of that bike!

Quick Reply: Lean(s) and mean