Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Heat

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 10:51 AM
iaff84
Tourer
Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Sir, This is the third bike I have owned with EFI, which I understand to be electronic Fuel Injection. My last carbureted bike is the 01 FX Springer with the 88B motor. Feel it is the best I have owned and the last "Harley" I own.
Also my math skills are rusted, got my first Harley in 71, the 62 pan head.
The 02 Springer had engine modifications done by a private V-Twin shop in my area. I was allowed by another owner to ride his bike which had a big bore kit, reworked heads, gear cams and I will venture to say, some sort of electronic fuel management box. I found the engine response to be unbelievable and started saving the pennies to do it. A year later it was done, I believe I had around 20 on the motor when they did it. Was happy with results and know the work done was way above my pay-grade.
The set-up gave me allot but cost me allot also. When we traded for the 05 Ultra, WE (she who must be obeyed!) decided to spend that money on many road trips instead, no regrets. 60 plus on bike at trade.
My feelings on the trike are running the same direction. As I get more and more road time on it, I may find things I feel need changed and will have to make decisions based on cost.
I always felt the 05 Ultra ran hot, but after spending time on others bikes who had had different types of modifications done, mine was no hotter, just a little less power.
Engines in cars and trucks, now Harleys, seem to always be a "chip" away from the performance the owners feel they should be. What I am saying, I personally have found that I am happy with the base deal provide by the manufacturers. I still get to put in a good days ride and keep a little more jingle in my pocket.
I will discuss issues I have been reading about here with my local private shop and play it by ear. 5 years ago, I would have just did the modifications mentioned here, now I move only with personal experiences. But this type of information provided by the forum are invaluable to me.
Like I stated, I am just a rider, no wrench or modifier, only change my own fluids and small other repairs.
EITMS. It was in the off position I found out when reading the book. I did set it to the on position and have not noticed it kick on, but It may have.
Dennis Swan
Muncie, Indiana

Old 09-11-2010, 11:59 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by iaff84
EITMS. It was in the off position I found out when reading the book. I did set it to the on position and have not noticed it kick on, but It may have.
When it kicks in you'll notice it. The feeling kind of reminds me of a 1 lung thumper, it will start puttering and shaking.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:02 PM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
When it kicks in you'll notice it. The feeling kind of reminds me of a 1 lung thumper, it will start puttering and shaking.
I guess mine has never kicked on, because I have never felt puttering and shaking! But I know I have set it.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:51 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhorsepilot
I guess mine has never kicked on, because I have never felt puttering and shaking! But I know I have set it.
Since I had my TG on a dyno and had more fuel added at idle it don't kick in as often now.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:05 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Abbreviations

Dennis, I was not suggesting any mods or selling any! You ask, or referred to the abbrievations of some common fuel managment systems! I just supplied them. I can assure you I when I bought my Tri I had no intentions of doing anything but running it stock. If your Tri suits you, by all means keep it bone stock and enjoy!

I mentioned the EITMS only because Harley's do not come from the factory with the EITMS engaged and most dealer's don't set it up either!

If you have been running all summer without it engaged and have just now set it, you may have been a little hotter at times than what is comfortable engine wise, if not rider comfort. As I said, most on here are just as concerned with extended engine life. When that front head is hot enough to kick in the EITMS the rear cylinder may be close to heat in the damage area! IMO if the EITMS is not kicking in at idle in hot weather, then you don't have a heat problem.

The 2011 Tri also got an upgraded oil cooler, I don't know if they did anything ECM wise in regards to timing or not but they also may have tweaked a few things on the 11 to help with the heat. I don't actually believe much can be done in that area that would help and the oil cooler still does not have a fan. It will be interesting to see how other 11 Tri owners post concerning the heat.

If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Last edited by coupe55; 09-11-2010 at 07:21 PM. Reason: add sentence
Old 09-12-2010, 03:20 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by coupe55
I when I bought my Tri I had no intentions of doing anything but running it stock.
I was of the same mind as you, I had not intentions of changing anything more than mufflers and air cleaner when I bought mine. That is part of the reason I'm ticked off at Harley Davidson, I didn't think I was buying a kit trike with some assembly & improvement needed.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:50 PM
roger scarcliff
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since we are on the subject of heat, does header wrap do anything performance wise other than keeping the heat off of your leg?

Old 09-13-2010, 01:05 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by roger scarcliff
Since we are on the subject of heat, does header wrap do anything performance wise other than keeping the heat off of your leg?

Anything that can contain heat in the pipe will assist in a more free flowing exhaust. There will not be much of a difference but to answer your question, there would be a little.

Example... Think of an old fireplace chimney. Build a fire. At first the smoke will not rise well. Once the chimney is warm the smoke is drawn to the outside along with some heat. Keeping an exhaust pipe hot internally is a good thing. The side effect is a reduction of heat to the rider.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:39 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ceramic

Originally Posted by roger scarcliff

One of the advertised advantages of ceramic headers, both automotive and for the cycle world. More free flowing exhaust especially the ones coated inside and out. I don't believe it would be anything you could feel in the seat of your pants with a two cylinder. Solid hp gains with a HP V8 in the automotive sector.

I'm not selling many ceramic headers but I am the header wrap, the wrap and sealer people should send me a commission. All my friends on HD touring, even the one's with out the cats are wrapping!

One of the best things you can do for rider comfort, reduce radiated heat!

Old 09-14-2010, 12:54 PM
62hdbiker
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

It's funny how in March, I advocated header wrap and I got so much greif-"It will damage the motor", "it won't wick away heat", "thats why we use Jackpot stainless steel- to keep the heat inside", bla, bla, bla.
Now people are coming to realize it works.

Quick Reply: Heat