Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Strange Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 07:25 AM
triglide1
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Strange Noise

I took a 600 mile ride this past weekend and about 300 miles into it I started to get a strange noise from the primary area. On a level highway running about 60 in 5th gear which is about 2800 RPM there was a ticking which was getting louder with ever mile. Then I started getting into some hilly areas on the highway and noticed that when I would start down a hill the ticking would stop and also going up hill no ticking. Well when I got home I decided to change the oil in all three holes so I started with the primary. Took the plug out and the magnet was completely rounded up with metal shavings. I know it is normal to have some metal on the magnet, but how much is to much? I never had this much on any of my Ultras when I changed the oil in them with just 10000 miles. Any thoughts, should I take it in for a check while it is in warranty?

Old 09-08-2010, 09:38 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by triglide1
I took a 600 mile ride this past weekend and about 300 miles into it I started to get a strange noise from the primary area. On a level highway running about 60 in 5th gear which is about 2800 RPM there was a ticking which was getting louder with ever mile. Then I started getting into some hilly areas on the highway and noticed that when I would start down a hill the ticking would stop and also going up hill no ticking. Well when I got home I decided to change the oil in all three holes so I started with the primary. Took the plug out and the magnet was completely rounded up with metal shavings. I know it is normal to have some metal on the magnet, but how much is to much? I never had this much on any of my Ultras when I changed the oil in them with just 10000 miles. Any thoughts, should I take it in for a check while it is in warranty?
From what I have read, not experienced.....

Whirling from the primary is the primary chain adjuster. This is normal and I know you didn't type anything about whirling.

Clicking/ticking noise is a piece of metal hitting on the chain or stuck in the primary chain. Whether it be from a split shroud on the front drive area or something from the clutch basket.

If this is all true... yes, warranty inspection is the prudent thing to do. I know it's too late but next time you pull your oil plug and have too much metal at the magnet, take a picture of it. Also strain your oil through cheese cloth or a fine screen if necessary. Sometimes a piece of the puzzle can be identified by a tech.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:03 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Every now and again I'll get the close to the same noise, I'll have to see what I get on the magnet when I change the primary oil this next time. The ticking noise I get will come for a little while then go away and not come back for a spell. I had it happening this last trip I took, it happened for about 100 miles then went away. This winter I may pop the primary cover and see what's up.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:02 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Chain Adjuster, And how was the adjustment on the clutch.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:56 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was told by an indy that a fine almost power type metal on the primary drain magnet is normal. What you need to watch out for are big pieces of metal.
I never understood that because it seem in a lubricated environment, there shouldn't be even fine metal particles after the break-in period but obviously, I don't know much about Harley's.

Last edited by shortride; 09-27-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:14 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by bikes
I was told by an indy that a fine almost power type metal on the primary drain magnet is normal. What you need to watch out for are big pieces of metal.
I never understood that because it seem in a lubricated environment, there shouldn't be even fine metal particles after the break-in period but obviously, I don't know much about Harley's.
The indy is correct, there will be a fine power or gunk on the drain plug when you remove it. If you see anything more than that then there is something going on.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:32 PM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

When any of you guys go monkeying around in your primaries....see if you can move the clutch basket...see if you detect any "wobble". Last time I was in my primary I noticed it when I had to get to my output pulley to make a change, which necessitated clutch basket removal, etc. Anyhow, I was so concerned that I poked around on some of the forums to find out this is common. One guy that seemed to know his stuff (either an Indy or an actual HD Tech.) said that if you took 10 apart to check it....9 of them would wobble. All the clutch hub nut does is tighten a little lip on the very end of the hub against the end of the input shaft and if there is any play at all between the splined input shaft and the hub.....it will wobble. As many clutches as I have had apart, I never noticed this before. I always assumed the clutch hub nut was tightening the hub up against the tapered end of the input shaft. This particular "expert" said that's the way it is....don't worry about it.

Just curious.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:03 AM
triglide1
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Its been a while since i posted about the noise. Here is an update. The dealer checked out the primary and could find nothing going on in there. So he reassembled it and I have put another 2000 miles on her and the noise still comes and goes. After talking to the service guy at the dealer again we have both come to the conclusion that the noise is a bad lifter. They are going to replace the lifters this winter before my warranty is out at the end of January.

After the warranty is up and this problem comes back, what are the quietest after market lifters out there?

Old 11-21-2010, 04:26 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by triglide1
After the warranty is up and this problem comes back, what are the quietest after market lifters out there?
Head Quarters Black Ops.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:14 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
Head Quarters Black Ops.
His bike right now runs extremely quiet.

Quick Reply: Strange Noise