Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Foot board bolt`s

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 02:03 PM
Tri Glide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foot board bolt`s

Hi guys,
I was wondering if anyone has had any trouble removing passenger foot board bolt`s. I have tried loosening them and they won`t budge. Do they put Lock Tite on them? I don`t want to put heat on them for obvious reasons. I don`t know if I would run in to the same thing on the drivers foot boards, I hanen`t tried yet.
Thank`s

Old 08-29-2010, 02:54 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Tri Glide
Hi guys,
I was wondering if anyone has had any trouble removing passenger foot board bolt`s. I have tried loosening them and they won`t budge. Do they put Lock Tite on them? I don`t want to put heat on them for obvious reasons. I don`t know if I would run in to the same thing on the drivers foot boards, I hanen`t tried yet.
Thank`s
Yup... white thread locking material. Replace them with new chrome bolts and anti-sieze. Passenger floorboard bolts are known to snap off by just stepping on the floorboard.

Trick... Put on leather gloves, put a shop towel on the floorboard, cover your fender area with heavy cloth or padded mat... put on the allen wrench on the bolt, point the short end to the 2 O'clock position. Take a adjustable 12" wrench and put the handle hole over the short end of the allen and use it as a breaker bar extension for the allen wrench. If you have a ball end allen, use that. Ball end works better. You can either pull for your life or hit the end of the adjustable with a mallet.

When the bolt breaks loose it will either come all at once or move a little. The leather gloves are for the "all at once or snapping of the bolt" so you don't bleed after. If you snap one off, they come out easy with a easy-out of high quality.

Once the bolt is out, use a tap and clean the threads and blow the holes out with compressed air.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:03 PM
hotshoe
Cruiser

I have not tried to remove the rear foot boards but have had the right side driver boards off to install a Fuelmoto SS headpipe. The bolts came out with resitance due to thread lock but were not out of the ordinary. I reinstalled with blue lock tite. The rear bolts likely have thread lock but not the type (green) that will need heat. Try a manual impact driver or an air wrench set at about 50 psi. I think the torque on the bolts is in the 40 to 50 psi range.

Good luck and I'm sure someone else will offer some ideas over and above mine.

Old 08-29-2010, 04:45 PM
Tri Glide
Advanced

Thank`s guys i`ll try some of your hint`s and see what happens.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:56 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You Know how many 5-10min jobs have taken hours. I feel your pain. Just take your time and think it out first.