Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

New Trike Saddlebags

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 05:28 PM
pettifogger1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are these bags made to readily detach or are they basically intended to stay on all the time?

Old 01-17-2012, 07:49 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Detachable, like the saddlebags. 1 pin on top. Quarter turn then lift off.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:08 PM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Photo on my saddle bag.

Attached Thumbnails New Trike Saddlebags-dscn0026.jpg  
Old 01-22-2012, 03:48 PM
pettifogger1
Tourer

The reason I asked about whether they were detachable is that if I remember correctly (don't want to reread the entire 13 pages of this thread) you said the problem could be corrected by re-drilling one hole. If the bags are mostly left on the bike (and it sounds like the attaching hardware stays mounted to the fender) would moving the bags cover any new holes? Sometimes you (the generic "you") just have to bite the bullet and turn lemons into lemonade yourself. If the holes don't show with the bags attached I would just fix it myself and put some plastic plugs in the old holes. Terrible that this happened, but sometimes you just have to fix things yourself and move on.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:20 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Actually it would be 3 holes per side and most likely the bottom 2 studs will have to be relocated also. I could accept just the top holes being relocated. After spending almost $500 for a product and professional install, I don't want to bite the bullet. I want it installed correctly that's why I paid $ 120. If I wanted it crooked I could have done that myself and saved the money.

So what you're saying is I should just let the dealer off the hook for installing the bags wrong and go my merry way? They did it to me once before when they installed the wrong heated grips. That wasn't as big a deal as the bags so I "Lived with it".

If you went to the dealer and paid to get a special paint job and they painted it a whole different color, would you say "oh well I'll just live with that"?? I doubt it.

There will be times I won't want the bags on when I go riding.

The dealer has already agreed that they are wrong and will do something - what - I don't know. I'll have to wait and see.

I just paid $35k a week earlier for the bike - so - yes -I want it done right and not looking like a blind person did the job.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:03 PM
trikerbabe
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default saddle bags

you need to check out the see through braz site. They use a industrial fastening system that does not require drilling holes into your trike. I have had mine for 2 years and have not had a lick of problems. You can call them at 800-543-8154 ask for Al or kathy either can help you or visit the website at www.seethroughbraz.com.

Good luck, ride safe.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:39 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

It's a little late now that I have all those holes and posts.
I did check into this last year, but there was no pricing or install info (still none). I would have liked to see exactly what I was getting before spending any money.
Do you have any pictures on how the bags attach??

Old 01-28-2012, 11:04 AM
pettifogger1
Tourer

If the dealer is working with you, then that is the way to go. Just floating some ideas. In lots of situations if I want something done right, I wind up having to do it myself. Thanks for keeping us up to date. I was looking at those bags, and am following your adventure with them closely.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:08 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

The dealer picked up the bike last night. They are going to modify the mounting brackets on the bags themselves instead of trying to redrill holes in the body. I think that will be the best solution........I hope. Dealer says he has a pretty good fabricator that told him he could fix the problem. We'll see. :AGGHH:

On a side note, another Tri Glide purchaser bought the bags and the service writer showed him what they would look like if installed per the instructions or they could modify the install per my suggestions(complaints and rants). So now this dealer is aware of the problem and is not going to repeat it. Too bad they can't convince the MoCo to correct their instructions. :censored:

Keeping fingers crossed. Should know next week if the fix will meet with my expectations.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:14 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just installed the bags on wifes TG. They came out just fine, not slanted. I was careful and looked at everything befor drilling after reading Garys problems. I used the templates and they were real close, bet the guy that installed Garys mixed up left and right,

Hope they get yours right Gary, but dont see how the bracket can be modified without making a mess. Good Luck

Attached Thumbnails New Trike Saddlebags-img_0533.jpg  

Last edited by icebite1; 02-10-2012 at 09:58 AM.

Quick Reply: New Trike Saddlebags