Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Upgrades to Wifes Trike

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 04:57 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Upgrades to Wifes Trike

Im kinda a lurker here, mostly because you guys know your stuff. Anyhow after months of info gathering from this forum i made changes to wifes '10 StreetGlide Trike to try and cool it down. Here they are, Jackpot 2/1/2 SS Header, Vance & Hines Twin Slash 4" Rounds slip ons,Zippers Hi-Flo AC and a Thunder-Max TBW tuner. (also a bunch of cosmetic add ons and paint job) Results after 750 miles= Well i think its a bit cooler but i still see her putting her right foot up on the crash bar so i know its still hot. MPG puked after these installs also, from a usual 36-38 mpg down to 32-34 mpg . It is creeping back up now, 2 fills ago it averaged 34-35 mpg, so i think the tuner is getting zeroed in, that was using 6th gear at 60 mph and up. For the last two fills i told her to stay out of 6th unless over 65 mph and avg. went to 36-37 mpg. I now am waiting for delevery of a set of Woods TW 6-6 cams and Andrews quick install push rods. Think ill be looking at a 30 Tooth primary drive pulley like in the new '11 trikes pretty soon also. I put a 30 tooth pulley in my '07 Road King Custom that has a sidecar a while back and it made a world of difference, could actually use the cruise in 6th at 60mph.

Last edited by icebite1; 08-02-2010 at 06:02 PM. Reason: correction
Old 08-02-2010, 05:20 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What did you think about the upgraded oil coolers with the fans, Parade Fan and Header Wrap on the headpipes, it the street has the exhaust shields still on it to hide the wrap. That will take some of the radiated heat of her right leg!

Old 08-02-2010, 05:26 PM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by icebite1
I put a 30 tooth pulley in my Road King Custom that has a sidecar a while back and it made a world of difference, could actually use the cruise in 6th at 60mph.
ice,
so the pulley was the only change you had to make? did you have to pull up much slack on the drive belt? any speedo errors? I'm seriously interested in that '11 30 tooth pulley and I want to find out how much cost and labor will be involved. thanks.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:58 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default upgrades

Coupe, have considered the cooler but want to try cams first, exhaust should open a bit quicker and longer with them . also hate to wrap the SS head pipe. thanks for the suggestion tho, its all appreciated. Boom, My roadKing is an '07,Had to add a shorter drive belt and i also have a thundermax/autotune on it. with the thundermax i could recal the speedo and get 6th gear light by recaling the final drive ratio.( tried a baker speedo cal first but you cant get 6th light back with it) i also have a zippers Hi-Flo AC and Vance & Hines Classic turn down slip ons installed. I have good acceleration and power in low gears now, at least as much as you can expect while draging a hack along. Dealer doesnt have any info on the new '11 trike pulley yet, at least none that there giving out.

Last edited by icebite1; 08-02-2010 at 06:03 PM. Reason: year
Old 08-02-2010, 06:30 PM
grandpawmoses
Road Master

I'm thinking about wraping the rear pipe from the cylinder down. There's still a lot of radiated heat felt from the stainless pipe & I don't think it will do any harm. My hesitation is that I've got to order it. None available in the local auto supply stores.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:11 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Wrap & Seal

Originally Posted by grandpawmoses
I'm thinking about wraping the rear pipe from the cylinder down. There's still a lot of radiated heat felt from the stainless pipe & I don't think it will do any harm. My hesitation is that I've got to order it. None available in the local auto supply stores.

I wrapped the back pipe first, felt so good I wrapped the front one also. Wrapped plus 2000 deg sealer, smokes and stinks first time you run it until it cures. If you do it right, about 20 minutes!

Amazon, Fleebay several sources, other than auto parts with better prices!

Old 08-02-2010, 07:48 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grandpawmoses
I too just wrapped the rear vertical portion of the head pipe and it helped considerably. I’m surprised that you’re having a hard time finding it. I live in a small town where nobody wants to stock anything and I no trouble finding it at the local auto parts store.

Suggestion, if you have a NAPA Auto Parts store nearby, you may want to try them. Even if they don’t have in stock, they can have it delivered from their local warehouse the next day.

Jim

Old 08-02-2010, 07:57 PM
grandpawmoses
Road Master

Only thing local is 50' rolls at $49+tax. Just bought a 15' X 2" Thermo Tec black roll off EBay for $22 delivered. I wasn't planning on sealing it & may take it off this winter. I personally don't think the heat from the pipe is that bad now after the header changeout but the wife dosen't like it. She'll be wanting the heater back when the weather gets cold though.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:17 PM
ON-3
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You can order the wrap here...
http://www.designengineering.com/cat...pipe-wrap-kits
All I could find at the local shops was the larger rolls. Their headquarters is 2 mi. from my house so I thought I'd check to see if they would sell direct. Very nice people to deal with and for $20 for the wrap and sealant, wrapping the rear pipe is the best thing I've done so far.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:11 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default OEM Headpipe

The OEM Headpipe with the catalytic converter gets to hot for header wraps rated at 1200-1500 deg.

A header wrap and a sealer with a continuous 2000 degree rating should be used for a 2010 headpipe with the cat. In the cat area of the headpipe at least.

The link below has the name of the wrap I used and they also make a 2000 degree F. Sealer.

http://www.thermotec.com/products/11...ite-black.html

I believe the 1500 degree rated wrap and sealer would be sufficient for the aftermarket catless headpipes or a decatted OEM. The catalytic converter area on the 2010 gets really hot.

Quick Reply: Upgrades to Wifes Trike