Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

3 Long Hot Years

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 11:57 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

What about putting the wrap on Fuel Moto head pipe? better, worse, no difference?

going to do the head pipe, PC-V, air clearner and mufflers this winter...wondering if I should get some header wrap too.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:10 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best of both worlds

Originally Posted by Casper
What about putting the wrap on Fuel Moto head pipe? better, worse, no difference?

going to do the head pipe, PC-V, air clearner and mufflers this winter...wondering if I should get some header wrap too.
That 309 stainless will be here after the rest of that Tri is long gone. Putting header wrap on the stainless pipe will reduce radiated heat and you have no worries about moisture getting under the wrap and deteriorating the headpipe. You will also get that extra HP and extra torque from a dyno tuned headpipe.

I used the wrap sealer on the OEM mild steel headpipe to keep the moisture out, it will degrade over time if it gets wet under the wrap. The sealer won't be as important on the stainless steel Fuel Motto pipe but I would probably use it for the extra radiated heat reduction.

They say not to wrap a ceramic header because the moisture turns to high temp steam and can degrade the ceramic, but who would want to wrap a ceramic. The ceramic is there for the same purpose as the header wrap so why wrap it?

I got a lot of relief from wrapping a catless OEM headpipe, no one metions it unless I show it to them! The Exhaust Shields hide it.

I PM'd you on decatting the OEM headpipe but unless you have some welding skills it would be just as cost effective to go with the Fuel Motto. If you have to farm that job out there will be labor cost and the alignment is critical getting that headpipe back together after the drilling operation. I am just experimenting around under warranty but will go with the Fuel Motto this winter and I will wrap it!

Last edited by coupe55; 07-31-2010 at 12:21 PM. Reason: add sentence
Old 07-31-2010, 12:29 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PS

The wrap may hold a little more heat back on those 02 sensors as the cat did and effect the preloaded map for the PC-5. I don't think the sensors are used anyway unless you use the auto tune also. Above the expertise of an ol carb guy, Jamie may chime in and speak to this.

I don't think it will matter if the sensors are unplugged?